Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
hugoagogo
Human being with feelings

Default Recording 2 guitars at same time...

Hey everybody. Hoping you can help out with one of those newbieish questions. I have a Tascam US144 interface that I'm running through. Normally I can only record one guitar at a time. I want to record a friend and I jamming on guitar at the same time. Wondering what would be the best way of doing this? Right now I'm thinking that plugging straight into the right input (what I normally do) and using a DI Box to plug the guitar into the left input is probably the best (and cheapest) way to go. Makes sense, doesn't it? Thanks for your help!

hugoagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
camerondye

If it's acoustic the best way is mic'ing both of you separately followed distantly by plugging straight in. Give some more information about what you are trying to do and I think you'll get some answers...acoustic/electric, kind of music, singing/no singing?
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
hugoagogo

2 Electric guitars - nothing between them and the interface. I will be using AmpliTube in Reaper for amp/effects recreation. No vocals, just the two guitars.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
camerondye

With your interface the best way technically is with direct boxes but if the line inputs are working then just use those on both channels. Line in is a different input than an instrument input but just make sure you aren't going into the red in Amplitube and you should be just fine.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
hugoagogo

Thanks very much for the help!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Straight into the line input will load down passive guitars and act like you've rolled back the Tone controls on both quite a ways. Better than nothing, but not the same as plugging right into the amp.

Passive DI into the mic input attenuates the already relatively weak output of the passive guitar and adds noise which must be then amplified along with the signal and you get probably more of the preamp's noise and the impedance presented to the pickups is still questionable and might cause some tone suck.

The best way to do it is to put a buffer (any big name pedal, powered but not necessarily on) between each guitar and the line input.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
DVDdoug

If you are getting good results with the DI box, a 2nd DI box is probably the best way to go.

An interface with switchable mic/line/instrument inputs usually is no more expensive than one without instrument inputs, but that's water under the bridge.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote