Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default Warm Audio WA-2A, anyone use it?

Hi, I've been thinking about adding a good comp to my signal chain. I almost only record vocals, my current chain is:

Hulk 990 Mic -> Golden Age Pre-73, -> ART Pro Channel II (comp/eq only), -> Motu, -> Reaper

When mixing I'm all inside Reaper. I am using Waves CA-2A on vocals all the time, it really has the smooth sound I'm looking for, so I thought having the real thing in the signal chain might be good.

So, curious if anyone has any experience with this unit or other 2A clones, or other optos. Any drawbacks, etc?
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

I thought about picking one up but haven't yet. I do have two WA-87 LDCs which is what turned me on to Warm Audio.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

How is that mic? I am happy with the mic I have now, but you know how that goes, haha.

I was also looking at Stam Audio, who makes some vintage clones of the 2A and others. Similar price, too.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

I was looking for a set of LDCs that didn't have that airy peak in the 8-12k region which many have - this one is more flat there, possibly less flattering but more natural sounding since I already had plenty of other LDCs with that peak in the high end.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,093
Default

How do you find your WA-87's Karbomusic?

Impressed beyond reason?
Impressed?
Genuinely pleased?
Pleased?
Moderately pleased
Okay?
A little disappointed?
Disappointed?
Use them because I have them?



Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
How do you find your WA-87's Karbomusic?

Impressed beyond reason?
Impressed?
Genuinely pleased?
Pleased?
Moderately pleased
Okay?
A little disappointed?
Disappointed?
Use them because I have them?



Grinder
I think the best answer is they fill a whole I didn't have in my mic collection. So I'm genuinely pleased if I'm using them for what I need them for. FWIW, those are the only mics used in these recordings which are live aka M/S config/single take about 24-30 inches back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3tyRVmqU9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_U4CDOuLM

They also don't do a bad job on drum overheads.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,093
Default

Thanks for that Karbomusic yes you do have to try these things to know I do have some reasonable mics already.
To purchase two of these that does say something though.
Among my collection I have two Lewitt LC 650's which I am only just recently getting to know. The same can be said for my one Rhode K2.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

I remember hearing really good things about the Lewitts.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think the best answer is they fill a whole I didn't have in my mic collection. So I'm genuinely pleased if I'm using them for what I need them for. FWIW, those are the only mics used in these recordings which are live aka M/S config/single take about 24-30 inches back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3tyRVmqU9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_U4CDOuLM

They also don't do a bad job on drum overheads.
Wow, pretty sweet dude and the mic sounds great...especially so far back from it. do you have any processing on that recording?

Also, does the mic come with that particular shock mount?
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Wow, pretty sweet dude and the mic sounds great...especially so far back from it. do you have any processing on that recording?

Also, does the mic come with that particular shock mount?
It does come with those shockmounts and nice cherry wood cases.

There is some processing, some CLA-2A on the track itself but only knocking none to 1 dB off. SSL G on the master hitting a little harder maybe 3dB, reverb and there is also very light JS: ozzifier chorus and some analog delay but it is subtle. I hoped that would sound good but not too obvious.

It's a project I worked on end of the summer into the fall because I was a bit burned out on multiple takes, editing and slicing and dicing and other studio tricks, I wanted to take a break and force myself to just play and sing a song from beginning to end with no post edits. I'm glad I did it, I think I wept openly a few times by making a mistake during the last 5 seconds of an otherwise great take. That's also why "we just disagree" begins with that lo-fi accidental losing of the pick, I staged that but it was about my journey of not being able to make a mistake.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

very nice, dude. nice performance and sweet sounding mic, it's definitely going on my list for this year. I have the Hulk 990, which is supposed to sort of mimic the U87 as well but purposefully brighter in the top end. It makes the sweet spot for driving the preamp pretty small (without eq), and I do want something a little more versatile.

thanks for sharing!
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,770
Default

Thank you sir, and before I forget, nice to have you on board aka happy 1 year forum anniversary.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

ha, thanks...and thanks to a great community
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

welllll, I changed my mind and have just preordered this from Stam Audio:
http://www.stamaudio.com/sa23aplus.html

8 week lead though but I'm excited! I'll definitely post some stuff about it when it arrives.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

Update! First off, screw Stam Audio. They just don't have their act together at all...I won't rant on them here but they totally lied, lied again, and again after that so I pulled my order and spent my money elsewhere.

So....I went 180 degrees with my setup, I received my Slate Digital VMS One last week and have gotten several hours with it so far. I'm very pleased with it, I'll do a thorough review of it in the near future. There's lots to say about it and the concept in general, so stay tuned for that.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Update! First off, screw Stam Audio. They just don't have their act together at all...I won't rant on them here but they totally lied, lied again, and again after that so I pulled my order and spent my money elsewhere.

So....I went 180 degrees with my setup, I received my Slate Digital VMS One last week and have gotten several hours with it so far. I'm very pleased with it, I'll do a thorough review of it in the near future. There's lots to say about it and the concept in general, so stay tuned for that.
Did you check out the Sphere L22, luxurious
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Alpha software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36903/CSI%20alpha.zip
Reaper forum thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #17
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

I did, but there wasn't a way to demo it or see it in action (in person), my fear is the software emulation and the cpu/latency impact. I didn't see it talked about much anywhere, but I know how well slate digital and the vmr work when tracking. Plus I hate when they make proprietary mic connections. I had that issue with an MXL mic several years back, that thing is still in the closet because I couldn't get it repaired.

Edit: all that, and plus....CSI integration....
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #18
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I did, but there wasn't a way to demo it or see it in action (in person), my fear is the software emulation and the cpu/latency impact. I didn't see it talked about much anywhere, but I know how well slate digital and the vmr work when tracking. Plus I hate when they make proprietary mic connections. I had that issue with an MXL mic several years back, that thing is still in the closet because I couldn't get it repaired.

Edit: all that, and plus....CSI integration....
From what i can read/see/hear theSphere L22 is way above the Slate VMS sonically.

You should at least check out some demos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFGW4E_1NU

It really is a cut above, IMHO.
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Alpha software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36903/CSI%20alpha.zip
Reaper forum thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:10 AM   #19
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,947
Default

Personal recommendation:

I bought a used Rode Classic Mk1 a few years ago after using one in a friends pro studio. Blew me away in terms of bang for the buck and how good it made my voice sound.

The only other mic I have used that I liked better was a very well cared-for vintage AKG C12, wich even if you could find one is out of most peoples budget range.
I got lucky & only paid £400 (about $500 at the time) for mine.

Also, Rode`s support is second to none.

I wrote them asking if they could sell me a suspension mount for my Classic.
About 2 weeks later I got a package from Australia containing a suspension mount.
And a letter saying they never made one for the Mk1 sdo they had modified a Mk2 one & it was free with their compliments.

Wow.
__________________
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
From what i can read/see/hear theSphere L22 is way above the Slate VMS sonically.

You should at least check out some demos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFGW4E_1NU

It really is a cut above, IMHO.
the Sphere has the ability to change polar patterns and therefore also better handling of off-axis signals. So yes it has that, but for what I do (recording vocals over beats) it's really more than I'll ever use. I don't like the way vocalists sound off-axis anyway on any mic and will stop a recording if I hear it....and there's never a need for anything besides cardoid.

In terms of emulating the mics...I can barely hear a difference in the slate VMS, anything beyond that I honestly don't care, it's such a small difference is most cases.

Also what's never really talked about is the fact that the ML1 mic is actually a really good condensor mic by itself...albeit very boring, but the clarity is there, super low noise from the preamp which is very important when recording over beats which most seem to be produced in the box anyway.

long sentence lol
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,093
Default

Poetnprophet
If you are looking again for a compressor
I doubt you would want more than one AudioScape Engineering Co make.
I purchased the mastering compressor a couple of months ago and
could not be more happier.
Chris makes other types, worth a look for you.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
the Sphere has the ability to change polar patterns and therefore also better handling of off-axis signals. So yes it has that, but for what I do (recording vocals over beats) it's really more than I'll ever use. I don't like the way vocalists sound off-axis anyway on any mic and will stop a recording if I hear it....and there's never a need for anything besides cardoid.

In terms of emulating the mics...I can barely hear a difference in the slate VMS, anything beyond that I honestly don't care, it's such a small difference is most cases.

Also what's never really talked about is the fact that the ML1 mic is actually a really good condensor mic by itself...albeit very boring, but the clarity is there, super low noise from the preamp which is very important when recording over beats which most seem to be produced in the box anyway.

long sentence lol
Cool, just wanted to point it out in case you hadn't looked into it.
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Alpha software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36903/CSI%20alpha.zip
Reaper forum thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #23
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

always appreciate the insight!
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #24
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 964
Default

Well, after a couple of months with the VMS I have come to realize it's just not enough on its own. It is absolutely missing "something".

I was bbq-ing this weekend, using my propane system. My neighbor was also bbq'ing using a charcoal grill. His I could smell and feel, but mine I couldn't. Analog vs digital is a lot like propane vs charcoal. There are certainly some technical "things" you can attribute to the differences....but then there's also the "feeling" you get when bbq'ing on charcoal, or consuming such bbq. You don't need to know the technical side to know one is "better" than the other.

So with that said, I ended up routing the VMS back thru the analog path and then onto the digital mic system. The sound is great, and I still get the benefits of using different mic emu's, even if they aren't true I still have the function.

I'm likely to change my mind again lol. I'm so lame
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.