Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
rlee15
Human being with feelings

Default Can someone please help

A couple of weeks back my wife had purchasd Komplete 9 for me to start recording some rather simple songs and then work from there. But I could not get it work with any of the software friends had told me about. Sothen a new friend at Guitar Center told me about Reaper and how easy it is to use so I downloaded that and they were right-this things is awesome. However, I have yet to be able to get Komplete 9's sounds to work on here and I am not sure if I have even set up things right to make it happen. NOw I have been told I have some pretty decent equipment - a Yamaha MM6 along with a Focusrite USB 2.0 audio driver and ASIO as my audio system. Now yes, I am new to this but I want to be great and only have this one last hurdle to get over to at least get started. I know I have checked my connections and I know they are right. I can even open up Kontakt 5 and hear the sounds through my headset but when I go to record it it? Nothing. I have read all the intructions pertaining to midi set-up/recording and still no luck so I am sure I am doing somethng very wrong or missing something very simple. Can someone please help me? Every night I try to get this right and all I am doing is losing tons of sleep because I feel I am so close but not close enough. So please, if you can help I am more than willing to try anything you suggest. Just make sure it is clear so I can grab it. Thanks so much!!!
rlee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello rlee and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

I've formatted your post to make it easier for me to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee15 View Post
A couple of weeks back my wife had purchased Komplete 9 for me to start recording some rather simple songs and then work from there.

But I could not get it work with any of the software friends had told me about. So then a new friend at Guitar Center told me about Reaper and how easy it is to use so I downloaded that and they were right - this thing is awesome.

However, I have yet to be able to get Komplete 9's sounds to work on here and I am not sure if I have even set up things right to make it happen. Now I have been told I have some pretty decent equipment - a Yamaha MM6 along with a Focusrite USB 2.0 audio driver and ASIO as my audio system. Now yes, I am new to this but I want to be great and only have this one last hurdle to get over to at least get started.

I know I have checked my connections and I know they are right. I can even open up Kontakt 5 and hear the sounds through my headset but when I go to record it it? Nothing.

I have read all the instructions pertaining to midi set-up/recording and still no luck so I am sure I am doing something very wrong or missing something very simple. Can someone please help me? Every night I try to get this right and all I am doing is losing tons of sleep because I feel I am so close but not close enough.

So please, if you can help I am more than willing to try anything you suggest. Just make sure it is clear so I can grab it. Thanks so much!!!
OK, so, if you can get some Kontakt sounds in your headphones then you're well on the way. All is not lost - if you find yourself losing lots of sleep later on, it will only because you are using Reaper through the night. .

If you can let us know some background info, our help can be more focussed:
-- is this you first DAW?
-- if not, which other(s) have you used?

Let's start with some basics:
-- how is the MM6 connected to your Computer? (direct or via the Focusrite? audio input? MIDI input? MIDI output?)
-- can you Record what you play on the MM6, either as Audio or MIDI?
-- if you have Recorded some audio, play it back; do you hear some sound?
-- if you have Recorded some MIDI, add ReaSynth to the track, turn down the track volume and play it back; do you hear some sound?

Also, when using Kontakt, do you want to record the MIDI from the MM6 or the audio out of Kontakt? Recording the MIDI is much more flexible, you can edit it and the create the audio when you are perfectly happy with it.

Let us know and we can go to the next stage.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
rlee15

Default Thanks DarkStar

OK, here wer go:
Yes, it is my very first DAW;
It appears to be directly conneted to the computer by way of a line coming out of the "to host" on the MM6 and going to a USB port on the CPU - then there is another line coming out of the "output" section of the MM6 that goes into the the focusrite. As for these items here: audio input; MIDI input; MIDI output; theere ius where I get lost real bad.
I can record the sounds on the mm6 but that is about it. I did get one of the sounds that comes with Reaper to record but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you how;
Yes, I have been able to hear what I recorded (the soounds coming from the mm6)
The one time I did hear something (MIDI)I heard a sound from Reasynth AND kontakt but when I turned down the volume, the kontakt sound wewnet away and you only heard the other sound (reasynth) plus the kontakt sound did not record;
As for your last question, I just want to be able to record the sounds tht are on kontakt any way that I can right now.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
dea-man

The focusrite (What Model?) should be connected to the usb of your computer.

The keyboard "audio" outs should be connected to the "audio" ins on the Focusrite. (Left and Right)

The Midi "in" on the Focusrite should be connected to the Midi "out" of your keyboard.

The Midi "out" of your Focusrite should ne connected to the Midi "in" of your keyboard.

Enable everything in Reaper preferences.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
hotsaucejalapeno

Ok, so what you are going to want to do is:

1.) Make sure you have Kontakt inserted on your track.

[IMG]http://**************/a/img690/8967/vj7q.jpg[/IMG]

2.) Change your RECORDING INPUT.

[IMG]http://**************/a/img90/1795/5god.jpg[/IMG]

Where you see the box in the pic with "MIDI"... in it, you will click that, find your device (in this case the MM6), and you can just select all channels if it gives you the option.

3.) Turn on RECORD MONITORING.

[IMG]http://**************/a/img208/2042/8f59.jpg[/IMG]

4.) Turn on RECORD ARMED by clicking the red button beside your track name (if you haven't changed your theme )

[IMG]http://**************/a/img571/2535/0r1l.jpg[/IMG]

5.) Make those sick beats!!

-------------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion, your track in the TCP should look something like this:

[IMG]http://**************/a/img203/2151/d0db.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helped!!
hotsaucejalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
hotsaucejalapeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
The focusrite (What Model?) should be connected to the usb of your computer.

The keyboard "audio" outs should be connected to the "audio" ins on the Focusrite. (Left and Right)

The Midi "in" on the Focusrite should be connected to the Midi "out" of your keyboard.

The Midi "out" of your Focusrite should ne connected to the Midi "in" of your keyboard.

Enable everything in Reaper preferences.
Quote:
The one time I did hear something (MIDI)I heard a sound from Reasynth AND kontakt
If he got sound in it before, then all his external routing should be good, no?
hotsaucejalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
DarkStar

But first, go to [Options] > Preferences> Audio and check your Audio and MIDI devices:

-- the keyboard should appear as a MIDI input device- enable it for Input and for Control (right-click for the menu)
-- the Focusrite should appear and an Audio Input AND and Audio Output device - enable it to and configure the other details.

Please post screenshots of both those windows
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
rlee15

Default Thanks all

I've got6 plenty of help now but still not winning the battle. But I working at it:
to hotsuacejalepeno and dea-mai- the focusrite does not have any midi connections (in or out)but can play and record the actual keyboard sounds and hear them in the cans and speakers no problem.

Adding Kontakt is giving me the biggesT headache - now, when I try insert Kontakt on the track, I can't seem to find it anywhere and if I try to drag and drop I get a message that says "could not import 1 of 1 items. (See name 2 - For some reason I can't do a screen shot - yeah, I am hopeless right)? Next, as for the MIDI INPUT device - the MM6 is the midi device and under inputs it says enabled + control and under midi OUTPUT there are two items: microsoft gs wavelenght synth and MM6. (Both are enabled. I am close - I know am once I can get Knotakct onto the the track game over. Thanks for helping me out, I am really appreciating this.
Attached Images
File Type: png name 1.PNG (50.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: png Name 2.PNG (11.9 KB, 212 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
dea-man

Have you pointed Reaper towards the folder that contains the Kontakt .dll?

Last edited by dea-man; 09-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
DarkStar

^^^^
What dea-man said.

And what are you trying to drag and drop into Reaper?

"under midi OUTPUT there are two items: Microsoft gs wavelength synth"
disable that one.

And a screenshot of your Preferences /Audio Device window?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
rlee15

Default One Sterp at time

OK, Darkstar/Dea-man;

I hear what the both of you are sayimg so my question is "how do I point Reaper towards the folder that contains the Kontakt.dll"? Also I disabled Microsoft gs wavelength synth and have attached a screen shot of what it looks like now. So, I am getting closer?
Attached Images
File Type: png name 3.PNG (52.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
DarkStar

Can you recall, when you installed Komplete / Kontakt, what folder you selected for the plug-ins? A long time ago, when I did it, I had this:

If you cannot remember, please do a Search of your complete disk, including hidden / protected folders for "Kontakt". If using Windows, turn off "Hide known file extensions" in Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab first.

When you find it, that folder path should be included in the VST plug-in path list in Reaper's Preferences. Pick the path to the 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Kontakt depending on your Reaper edition.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Win Conway

Can i respectfully suggest that you uninstall these VST and then start fresh, sounds extreme i know but here is why

It is always preferable to create your own VST plugin folder and know where it is at all times, there is no hard and fast rule for where to have it but here are some examples

C:\program files\Steinberg\VST plugins (This one is a throwback to the inventors of VST)
C:\VST Plugins (A lot of people prefer to have their plugins at root
D:\VST (this my own preferred location, second drive)

Once you know where your VST plugin folder is, you are on your way to creating your own little collection.

Sorry to butt in to the thread, just thought this was worth covering, rather than you constantly having issues later down the road.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
dea-man

Scroll down the left side of Reapers Preferences and look for "VST".

"Add" (Button, top right corner) the location of the Kontakt .dll by browsing to where it is located.

Re-scan.

The .dll's are "probably" in a folder called Steinberg.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Tod

Something else you can try if you haven't, is update to the latest version. Even if you have updated you might try it again, you have to be sure that the VST Plug-in is selected. By default I think it is unselected as shown in the following picture. I had to double click on it a few times to get it to select.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
rlee15

Default Making progress folks

Alrighty then;

I re-loaded Komplete 9 and I have been able toosee it appear in Reaper. I can set it up, hear the sounds and see it show up on my track volume wise. I hae never been able to do that before so thank you everyone. But when i go to record it, nothing shows up at all and on Reaper where the tracks would be it says "offline". Even though I see the track volume fluctuate when I hit the key with the sound it does not record. Also, when I juts take a sound directly from the keyboard, it records but when I got to saev it a get a message saying "error opening recorded media". I can hear the sounds from Komplete now and when I able to record them and turn them into songs I will take a whole page to thank you becasue we're that close. Honest!!! Maybe on or two thigs left and it all comes together. Thaks as always and I look forward to hearing from you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Name 4.jpg (67.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Name 5.jpg (42.8 KB, 192 views)
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Tod

Quote:
But when i go to record it, nothing shows up at all and on Reaper where the tracks would be it says "offline".
You're trying to record on the Kontakt-5 (K5) VSTi track and a K5 audio Output track which is not a good thing to do and basically won't work.

Add a separate midi track(s) and direct it's I/O to the K5 VSTi track.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
rlee15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
You're trying to record on the Kontakt-5 (K5) VSTi track and a K5 audio Output track which is not a good thing to do and basically won't work.

Add a separate midi track(s) and direct it's I/O to the K5 VSTi track.
I went ahead and did as you requested - I could not get a screen shot for you but here is whatI am seeing:
receives: track 1"kontakt 5
sends: track one kontakt 5
audio hardware output: output1/output2
midi output: MM6-1
Would this be correct or I am still doing something wrong?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Tod

I'll put a picture together for you and be right back.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
I went ahead and did as you requested - I could not get a screen shot for you but here is whatI am seeing:
receives: track 1"kontakt 5
sends: track one kontakt 5
audio hardware output: output1/output2
midi output: MM6-1
Would this be correct or I am still doing something wrong?
In the picture below I added a track, set it's input to Midi All Channels and then I clicked on the I/O and directed it to the Kontakt VSTi track. Notice also the Master/parent is unchecked.

Also notice I have Audio:Non and MIDI:All=>1. What that does is send all midi on this track to K5 on midi channel 1. Any instruments you have in K5 with their midi channels set to 1 should play all notes and CCs from this track.

Also notice I have the Midi track in the Track Control Panel (TCP) and the Kontakt VSTi along with it's outputs down in the Mixer Control Panel (MCP). That's just the way I like to organize it.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
rlee15

Quote:
In the picture below I added a track, set it's input to Midi All Channels and then I clicked on the I/O and directed it to the Kontakt VSTi track. Notice also the Master/parent is unchecked.

Also notice I have Audio:Non and MIDI:All=>1. What that does is send all midi on this track to K5 on midi channel 1. Any instruments you have in K5 with their midi channels set to 1 should play all notes and CCs from this track.

Also notice I have the Midi track in the Track Control Panel (TCP) and the Kontakt VSTi along with it's outputs down in the Mixer Control Panel (MCP). That's just the way I like to organize it.
I have matched this up almost exactly to what you have but before I say another word, if you can tell me how you are able to cut and paste your screen shots (I am hitting ctrl/alt/print screen) and getting nothing. But I am here and following your instructions.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Tod

I use Print Scrn to print the whole screen and Alt-Print Scrn to capture what ever window I have open.

Also I have a program called IrfanView that I use to select screen captures. Then I just use Paint to edit and save the png files.

To capture small videos I use LICEcap, a cockos program.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
dea-man

Are you recording the "output" of the track? You have to tell the track what to record. Right click the track, scroll down to "Record:Output".
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Tod

Quote:
Are you recording the "output" of the track? You have to tell the track what to record. Right click the track, scroll down to "Record:Output".
Huumm, actually if he wants to record midi on the midi track he should use Record: MIDI overdub/replace>Record: MIDI overdub if he wants to record midi without replacing other midi on the track. However, if he does want to replace other midi on the track then use Record: MIDI overdub/replace>Record: MIDI replace.

On the other had if he's got the midi all done and wants to turn it into audio, then Record:Output on the K5 audio outputs comes in handy.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
rlee15

Quote:
I use Print Scrn to print the whole screen and Alt-Print Scrn to capture what ever window I have open.

Also I have a program called IrfanView that I use to select screen captures. Then I just use Paint to edit and save the png files.

To capture small videos I use LICEcap, a cockos program.
OK_ I am still unsuccessful with printing the screen but I can send attachments. If you will look at the one I sent you vs. the one you sent, I can not get them to look the same. For example, I can not get mine to say "1>Midi" like yours does in FX input (upper left hand corner (trust me I have tried)and then I can't get my tracks to look your yours (and yes, I have followed your intructions to the the letter. I am going at this really hard Tod and I am glad you are helping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg name 6.jpg (62.2 KB, 193 views)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Tod

Quote:
OK_ I am still unsuccessful with printing the screen but I can send attachments. If you will look at the one I sent you vs. the one you sent, I can not get them to look the same.
Hi rlee15, you're missing the track I added for the Midi.

Quote:
For example, I can not get mine to say "1>Midi" like yours does in FX input (upper left hand corner (trust me I have tried)and then I can't get my tracks to look your yours (and yes, I have followed your intructions to the the letter. I am going at this really hard Tod and I am glad you are helping.
Look closer at my picture, the track that has "1>Midi" is the track I added just for the midi. "1>Midi" is the name I gave the track. I use "#>" to indicate that it is a midi track and the "#" is the midi channel. In other words, "1>Midi" simply means that it is a midi track and it uses midi channel 1. That's just my way of doing it. If K5 had a Violin as the first instrument and it was set up on midi channel 1 I would call it "1>Violin".

In your picture you've still got the K5 VSTi track setup as the midi track. It still might work that way but I advise against using that track for midi, it's better to add a track and assign it to K5 like I show in the picture.

Add a track to the top of you project and then click on the I/O button. Set it up like I show above.

You have to also setup that track so that it's input is midi and direct it to your interface.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #27
rlee15

Quote:

Look closer at my picture, the track that has "1>Midi" is the track I added just for the midi. "1>Midi" is the name I gave the track. I use "#>" to indicate that it is a midi track and the "#" is the midi channel. In other words, "1>Midi" simply means that it is a midi track and it uses midi channel 1. That's just my way of doing it. If K5 had a Violin as the first instrument and it was set up on midi channel 1 I would call it "1>Violin".

In your picture you've still got the K5 VSTi track setup as the midi track. It still might work that way but I advise against using that track for midi, it's better to add a track and assign it to K5 like I show in the picture.

Add a track to the top of you project and then click on the I/O button. Set it up like I show above.

You have to also setup that track so that it's input is midi and direct it to your interface.
Hi Tod - I am at work right now but I wanted to speak wth you for a moment. I saw the pics that you sent and i will get to work on them when I get back home but i have a question. Would you mind speaking with me directly? I want this to work in the worst way and I have to admit that I do really well when someone is "telling" me what to do. I learn best this way - this is how I learned how do pro sound (before the digital age) Anyway, if you have no objections I would be willing to give you my cell phone number and we could approach this together (I'll even gladly let you chew me out if you have to) or I could call you. In either case, I am willing to do this if you have no objections. Now, I will be available this PM after 7PM CST but will check back in before then to see what you said. In either case, I will be speaking with you one way or another. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
dea-man

It would be considerate of you to call Tod, rather than he call you. That way he is not charged for the call.

Just sayin'.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
rlee15

Quote:

Hi Tod - I am at work right now but I wanted to speak wth you for a moment. I saw the pics that you sent and i will get to work on them when I get back home but i have a question. Would you mind speaking with me directly? I want this to work in the worst way and I have to admit that I do really well when someone is "telling" me what to do. I learn best this way - this is how I learned how do pro sound (before the digital age) Anyway, if you have no objections I would be willing to give you my cell phone number and we could approach this together (I'll even gladly let you chew me out if you have to) or I could call you. In either case, I am willing to do this if you have no objections. Now, I will be available this PM after 7PM CST but will check back in before then to see what you said. In either case, I will be speaking with you one way or another. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
Tod

Quote:
Hi rlee15, sorry, I just noticed your last post.

Let me see if I can put together some better suggestions and instructions together. I'm going to assume you have your midi keyboard setup in the Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices.

In the mean time, here is a video I put together for a friend that shows how to configure Kontakt to get all the outputs setup right. It's done with Kontakt-4 but it's basically the same with Kontakt-5. Don't be alarmed to see Reaper look a little different, I did it with Reaper 3 but it's the same for Reaper 4. Also my voice has gotten real crappy with my age but hopefully you'll understand me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkxPPbTKME

Regarding the phone call, I don't mind that however the only phone I have available is my wife's business phone which is both home and business. Consequently I can't be on it long. However, if we can't resolve this for you we'll see if we can set something up.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
Tod

H rlee15, just wondering if you got my PM, I sent one to you yesterday.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
rlee15

Quote:
H rlee15, just wondering if you got my PM, I sent one to you yesterday.
Yes, I did and I can't thank you enough becasue this is how I learn best. It allows me to actually see what I should be doing and that way I can copy what I am seeing. This was a great idea and I never knew that you had to get kontakt to go like that. A total wake up call that has been a true eye opener. So, you know my next question - how many more videos do you have? Send them all!!! I will be deadlier than a viper in no time with them. This was so awesome. Thanks, Tod.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #33
Tod

Quote:
how many more videos do you have?
Hi rlee15, I'm glad they helped you.

Sorry, the one I posted above is one I put together for a good friend of mine and the one I PMed you is an unedited quickie I did just for you. They are the only ones I've done in this context.

If you have any more questions just let us know.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
rlee15

Quote:
Hi rlee15, I'm glad they helped you.

Sorry, the one I posted above is one I put together for a good friend of mine and the one I PMed you is an unedited quickie I did just for you. They are the only ones I've done in this context.

If you have any more questions just let us know.
Hey there Tod;
I had ot take a moment because everything was going crazy and to tell you the truth so was I. I stepped away for a moment to clear my head and now I am ready to get back to work. Like I said the video was really helpful but what I am going to do is back track all of the e-mails I have receieved and see if I can finally make komplete 9 work for me the way it is supposed to. So, I may be asking some more questions in the coming days but just be who you are and that has been a tremendoucn help to a man with immense dreams. Thanks Tod for beiing out there.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
dea-man

Default Just sayin'

I am glad Tod's help was valuable to you.

There were, however, a few other people who at least "tried" to help you out.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
rlee15

Quote:
I am glad Tod's help was valuable to you.

There were, however, a few other people who at least "tried" to help you out.
You are right and I ask forgiveness for not making this a known point. So, for those of you that ere helping me out please accept my apology. I meant to offend no one. Anyway, I took some time and cleared my computer of everything - complete 9, reaper, focusrite, etc. and over the next few days will start all over again hoping to get it right this time. (Reloading it all) Again, my apologies and I hope we are cool again. You can never have enough help.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #37
lecasteloes

Default Midi setup

Dear all,

Good evening!

Although I've been successfully using Reaper to edit audio files for some time, this is my first time importing a midi file (from OpenMusic) into a Reaper session but... I can't hear anything!

The only thing I need to do is to assign the correct (original) General Midi sound to the Midi file I imported into Reaper. I've tried a number of things (Reaper Preferences, Midi editor, Help, User Manual [which instructed me to ask here], etc.), but to no avail.

Could anyone please help me with this?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
Luiz
lecasteloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #38
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecasteloes View Post
Dear all,

Good evening!

Although I've been successfully using Reaper to edit audio files for some time, this is my first time importing a midi file (from OpenMusic) into a Reaper session but... I can't hear anything!

The only thing I need to do is to assign the correct (original) General Midi sound to the Midi file I imported into Reaper. I've tried a number of things (Reaper Preferences, Midi editor, Help, User Manual [which instructed me to ask here], etc.), but to no avail.

Could anyone please help me with this?
Hi Luiz, You need to set up the I/O to send to the GM Synth. Select one of the imported midi tracks and click on the I/O button. Up in the Right hand corner you need to select the GM Synth and also select the midi channel. The midi channel will determine what instrument will play.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
lecasteloes

Default Midi Setup

Dear Tod,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

Still, the window that pops up as I select I/O is quite different from yours (is this because I'm using a Mac?).

In any case, I was able to find the "Midi Hardware Output" option, but mine is completely empty. It reads <no output>, and doesn't supply any other option... why is that so? Should I add a "Midi Hardware Output" somewhere else? (e.g., in the Preferences)

I'll keep trying.

Best,
L
lecasteloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecasteloes View Post
Dear Tod,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

Still, the window that pops up as I select I/O is quite different from yours (is this because I'm using a Mac?).

In any case, I was able to find the "Midi Hardware Output" option, but mine is completely empty. It reads <no output>, and doesn't supply any other option... why is that so? Should I add a "Midi Hardware Output" somewhere else? (e.g., in the Preferences)

I'll keep trying.

Best,
L
I don't know about a Mac, in Windows we select it in Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices. I think it's in the output section. I doubt you'd have the same Synth because it's put out by Microsoft but there might be a Mac equivalent.