Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #6281
Cragster
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Please post the contents of your CSI.ini as well as any .mst and .zon files -- Reaper should NEVER crash because of CSI.

Also are you using the latest build ?
I think im using the latest build . I checked the event log and its showing the .dll file as the culprit. That last build was supposed to have the learn mode in action list. It never showed up in mine so idk if i did it right.but evrything was working great so i didnt bother worrying. I can not get reaper to start now after making a change to zone.idk if that has something to do with it or its something else and just a coincidence.i will post evrything give me a few minutes and thanks guys .im like frantic here
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #6282
Cragster

Quote:
Please post the contents of your CSI.ini as well as any .mst and .zon files -- Reaper should NEVER crash because of CSI.

Also are you using the latest build ?
hey guys i found the problem.as i was copying the zone file to post here i saw it.i would explain but ill just go the short route and say im a DUMB DUMB.i gotta say thanks though guys...in the past few weeks ive been asking and doing a whole slew of dumb newbie things and questions trying to get this CSI going and you guys always reply and help anyway.this is an amazing thing your doing ..really...thanks to all. well back to mapping.prox has a ton of buttons to map.i just gotta be careful what im doing here on out. Thanks !!!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #6283
airon

Quote:
That is a fairly major switch over -- aka fairly large mode change -- switching to mix mode.

I would suggest a new Page for that job.

Switching Pages is close to instant and allows for completely different surface definitions (.mst, .ost. etc.) as well as completely different .zon folders.

In other words a complete redefinition of all of your surfaces.

Now let's get together and figure out how we can make this work.

Could you please go about thinking of how you would design a Page to handle this workflow -- we'll fill any holes we find as we go -- we already know of one -- the banking issue.
That's such an advanced concept for me, I'll think about it when I get there. My primary driver is likely to be complete changeovers of controls to different activities, for starters.

Then I'll start worrying about an Avid Icon type of model , where I zone out a group of controls, such as the last 8 faders of the faderport to provide spill zones for VCA masters or send volumes or dialogue-track-specific fx parameters.

One zone I'll be creating right off the bat is a zone for the large knob on the upper right of both the Faderport 8 and 16. Studio One lets you use change what that knob does with the right buttons below it. Those buttons have RGB lighting, just like the vertical row to its left (Audio, VI, Bus, VCA, ALL). Maybe more .

Oh yeah, and let's now forget the automation buttons. This is going to be fun.

Quote:
Yes, there may be additions, but anticipated changes to existing syntax will be small and of the search/replace variety, I'd say go ahead, jump in

Thanks for reminding me, I've owed this one to FP folks for a while.

RGB is currently working here on the Launchpad -- so it is simply a matter of adding an FB_FaderPortRGB7Bit feedback processor -- will have it to you within a week.

The displays have 10 modes and require a SysEx driver -- that's a bit more work but not too much

I will rely on you to help me describe a usable syntax for that one, if that's OK

So for RGB on/off colours:

Code:
Zone "SomeZone"
    PlayWidget Play             { 0 25 0  0 127 0 }
ZoneEnd
PlayWidget is initially very subtle light green { 0 25 0 }

When Play is engaged play brightens to { 0 127 0 }

127 is the highest value due to the Midi 7 bit thing -- internally we just double the values to get the familiar 255 255 255 RGB range.

The other late addition (not coded yet, but real soon) is stepped values which looks like this -- the first one is a list of discrete values -- the second is a constrained range:

Code:
Zone "SomeZone"
    SomeWidget FXParam 3    [ 0.0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1.0 ]
    OtherWidget FXParam 7    [ 0.0-1.0 ]
ZoneEnd
The RGB lights on the SELECT buttons for each track will open up some interesting possibilities

Question:
Can CSI automatically change zones if a specific plugin is on the currently selected track ?

I would use this to have the parameters of the first compressor of a track always end up on the same knobs, without having to actually open the GUI, because I'll sometimes have an EQ open instead(for the analyzer).

Avid Icons have a focus section with compressor and EQ controls. I'd like to recreate something like that with CSI. I've already done so in vanilla Reaper with per-track midi-learned controls. Compressors, EQs, DeEssers, all have specific knobs assigned to them as a default mapping(via PARAM button dropdown in FX window).

If I can recreate that in CSI, I'll be well on my way to something seriously cool, though the FX mapping methods are already great to be honest. It just requires some work.

2nd question:
Are we collecting FX parameter lists, or can CSI provide those automatically ? If so, how ?

3rd question:
How do I pop up this learn window I hear so much about ? Is that a function I have to trigger with a widget ?

Last edited by airon; 02-01-2020 at 05:18 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #6284
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
hey guys i found the problem.as i was copying the zone file to post here i saw it.i would explain but ill just go the short route and say im a DUMB DUMB.i gotta say thanks though guys...in the past few weeks ive been asking and doing a whole slew of dumb newbie things and questions trying to get this CSI going and you guys always reply and help anyway.this is an amazing thing your doing ..really...thanks to all. well back to mapping.prox has a ton of buttons to map.i just gotta be careful what im doing here on out. Thanks !!!
Glad you're up and running again.

But we still need your help, we need to know what was wrong.

There is no need to worry that it was a newbie mistake -- newbie mistakes are cool.

What is not cool is that CSi was able to crash Reaper -- that should NEVER happen.

So, once again please help make CSI better and tell us what went wrong so that the code causing the crash can be fixed -- thanks.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #6285
Cragster

Quote:

There is no need to worry that it was a newbie mistake -- newbie mistakes are cool.

What is not cool is that CSi was able to crash Reaper -- that should NEVER happen.

So, once again please help make CSI better and tell us what went wrong so that the code causing the crash can be fixed -- thanks.
ok so i was changing a button mapping in the zone file and somehow some words got typed in another spot in the zone file.it was right in the beginning.the very beginning. before the first Zone Home. i dont even know how it happened .i guess i was typing something on my 1st screen(i have 2 screens) and it eneded up in the zone file i had up on the 2nd screen.cause when i went to copy it to post to you guys it had 2 words in front of Zone Home ie...
Code:
 someword someword Zone Home
                         OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
                         .....etc etc
so lesson is if u accidentally have anything in the file before the first Zone Home reaper will instantly crash on startup
Old 02-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #6286
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That's such an advanced concept for me, I'll think about it when I get there. My primary driver is likely to be complete changeovers of controls to different activities, for starters.
Pages are actually a VERY simple concept.

You likely now have a bunch of .mst files, some .zon files in folders, etc.

Imagine you could do that again with a whole different set of definition files -- you now have a new Page.

Think of it this way:

CSI contains Pages.

A Page contains Surfaces.

A surface contains Widgets and Zones.

Quote:
Then I'll start worrying about an Avid Icon type of model , where I zone out a group of controls, such as the last 8 faders of the faderport to provide spill zones for VCA masters or send volumes or dialogue-track-specific fx parameters.

One zone I'll be creating right off the bat is a zone for the large knob on the upper right of both the Faderport 8 and 16. Studio One lets you use change what that knob does with the right buttons below it. Those buttons have RGB lighting, just like the vertical row to its left (Audio, VI, Bus, VCA, ALL). Maybe more .

Oh yeah, and let's now forget the automation buttons. This is going to be fun.
And if it isn't, just post what needs to be changed to make it fun

Quote:
Question:
Can CSI automatically change zones if a specific plugin is on the currently selected track ?
Not quite sure what you mean, but I think the answer is yes.

If you have a SelectedTrackNavigator in your Zone and have the appropriate Actions such as MapSelectedTrackFXToWodgets, anytime you select a Track any FX that have a zone defined will get mapped to the appropriate Widgets.

Is that what you are asking ?

Quote:
I would use this to have the parameters of the first compressor of a track always end up on the same knobs, without having to actually open the GUI, because I'll sometimes have an EQ open instead(for the analyzer).

Avid Icons have a focus section with compressor and EQ controls. I'd like to recreate something like that with CSI. I've already done so in vanilla Reaper with per-track midi-learned controls. Compressors, EQs, DeEssers, all have specific knobs assigned to them as a default mapping(via PARAM button dropdown in FX window).

If I can recreate that in CSI, I'll be well on my way to something seriously cool, though the FX mapping methods are already great to be honest. It just requires some work.
I think we can do most of that, but some additions may be required -- looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the problems to solve department

Quote:
2nd question:
Are we collecting FX parameter lists, or can CSI provide those automatically ? If so, how ?

3rd question:
How do I pop up this learn window I hear so much about ? Is that a function I have to trigger with a widget ?
Those questions are related.

The LearnModeWindow is fairly broken right now, but when complete here's the workflow.

Focus the FX you wish to map.

Open the LearnModeWindow using the Reaper Action that CSI installs automatically -- "CSI Learn Mode"

Set up a new Zone -- if there is an FX focused the Zone definition will default to that FX and autofill the Actions list with the FX params.

Push/Move a Widget, then select the Action you want, fill in any extra params, push Add and the Action Widget connection is made in real time like Midi Learn type stuff.

When you are happy with the Zone -- you have mapped and tested all of the Widgets/Actions you want for this Zone -- push Save to save the .zon file.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #6287
Cragster

Quote:

so nothing that needs changing i guess. just a matter of being careful
Old 02-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #6288
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
ok so i was changing a button mapping in the zone file and somehow some words got typed in another spot in the zone file.it was right in the beginning.the very beginning. before the first Zone Home. i dont even know how it happened .i guess i was typing something on my 1st screen(i have 2 screens) and it eneded up in the zone file i had up on the 2nd screen.cause when i went to copy it to post to you guys it had 2 words in front of Zone Home ie...
Code:
 someword someword Zone Home
                         OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
                         .....etc etc
so lesson is if u accidentally have anything in the file before the first Zone Home reaper will instantly crash on startup
Nope, the lesson is the programmer (me) should fix the parser so that it doesn't crash Reaper when this happens
Old 02-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #6289
Cragster

Quote:
Nope, the lesson is the programmer (me) should fix the parser so that it doesn't crash Reaper when this happens
well im glad my dumb newbieness finally helped haha. and no worry Geoff this CSI is amazing amazing even with a few quirks!!!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #6290
Geoff Waddington

New build is up

CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR CSI FOLDER AND DLL/DYLIB !!!

There have been massive internal coding changes to simplify the architecture, so things may be very broken.

The good news is this is the last piece of redesign for the alpha phase.

Colour support for the Faderport took all of 15 minutes, so I snuck that in too -- please check that it works -- you need to define FB_FaderportRGB7Bit Widgets -- see LaunchPadMiniMK3.mst and LaunchPadMiniMK3.zon for examples.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 02-02-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #6291
MixMonkey

Quote:
If the parser could ignore trailing comments in some way that would be an enormous help when editing CSIs .zon files.

At the moment we can put a comment on a separate line, but this makes the .zon very long (effectively twice as long) It would be great just to be able to follow the Reaper Action number (say) with a quick description of what it does, on the same line.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #6292
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
If the parser could ignore trailing comments in some way that would be an enormous help when editing CSIs .zon files.

At the moment we can put a comment on a separate line, but this makes the .zon very long (effectively twice as long) It would be great just to be able to follow the Reaper Action number (say) with a quick description of what it does, on the same line.
Yes, but you can also have an alias, stepped values, colour values, all three, some of the three, etc.

Adding comments to the mix complicates things, but maybe we could do something like stepped params -- maybe:

Code:
Zone "aZone"
   aWidget FXParam 0  # comments are surrounded by hash marks #
ZoneEnd
and ignore anything between the hash marks, what say you ?

Also about time to start discussing how Stepped values will work, that's next up.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #6293
Cragster

Quote:
New build is up

CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION -- CAUTION

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR CSI FOLDER AND DLL/DYLIB !!!

There have been massive internal coding changes to simplify the architecture, so things may be very broken.

The good news is this is the last piece of redesign for the alpha phase.

Colour support for the Faderport took all of 15 minutes, so I snuck that in too -- please check that it works -- you need to define FB_FaderportRGB7Bit Widgets -- see LaunchPadMiniMK3.mst and LaunchPadMiniMK3.zon for examples.
Can someone please give me a quick how to on updating to a new build ? I obviously didnt do something right last time(which was my first time)since that learn mode thing isnt showing up in my actions.so i download...backup all the current files first...then replace just the .dll ? Do i replace the .ini too ? Or do i replace evrything then add my zone and mst backup back in ? Thanks
Old 02-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #6294
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yes, but you can also have an alias, stepped values, colour values, all three, some of the three, etc.

Adding comments to the mix complicates things, but maybe we could do something like stepped params -- maybe:

Code:
Zone "aZone"
ZoneEnd

Also about time to start discussing how Stepped values will work, that's next up.
Between hash marks would be great Donít let it delay stepped parameters though
Old 02-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #6295
Funkybot

Quote:
Can someone please give me a quick how to on updating to a new build ? I obviously didnt do something right last time(which was my first time)since that learn mode thing isnt showing up in my actions.so i download...backup all the current files first...then replace just the .dll ? Do i replace the .ini too ? Or do i replace evrything then add my zone and mst backup back in ? Thanks
I would:

1. Backup your entire CSI folder
2. Overwrite the .dll's
3. Overwrite the CSI folder
4. Go back to your backup copy, and restore your original csi.ini (overwriting the new one)
5. If you've modified any of the zones or .mst's for your own personal use, restore those from your backup too
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #6296
Funkybot

Quote:
Code:
Zone "aZone"
ZoneEnd
Now, can't we already comment on the same line of an FX Zone? All of my FX zones look like this:

SomeWidget FXParam "0" "Threshold"

The "ParameterName" is not necessary, essentially free form, is totally ignored by CSI and works perfectly fine. Also, the quotes around the parameter number came from the Learn Mode window that rare time I got to work, so I just stuck with that convention. The ReaComp.zon in the FP16 folder uses this same "0" "Threshold" syntax so I'm assuming it's officially supported. Would be nice to get a definitive syntax.

Anyway if that works for FX zones, why not stick with it? And if that works for FX Zones, why not do the same thing for standard zones? Example:

SomeWidget Reaper "01234" "whatever this action is"

I don't have a strong preference as to whether it's a hash or quotes or a backslash, but I would very much like to be able to comment on the same line, and do it consistently between FX zones and standard zones.

Just my two cents! Will check out the updated build tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #6297
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Between hash marks would be great
Yeah, I think there is a slightly better way -- let's use '?' as in 'help' -- kinda aligns with the raison d'Ítre of a comment -- so -- anything after a ? is ignored as is the question mark itself.

Quote:
Donít let it delay stepped parameters though
Here's what's holding things up - for stepped params triggered by continuous button presses do they:

Move up step by step from the bottom and reset to the bottom after the top is reached ?

Can you do that in reverse -- hmmm -- that means as you turned the volume down - down - down - BOOM -- suddenly it goes to full volume because it reset to the top value -- that's not gonna work.

Encoders are easy they just go up and down the steps.

Maybe we only allow upward motion of the press -- press -- press kind, eventually reseting to the bottom and starting all over.

If you REALLY need to go backwards you could just list the step params in reverse order [ 1.0 0.5 0.0 ].

Hmmm as I write this maybe that's it.

[ 0.0-1.0 ] ? Good for clamping controllers to a range

[ 0.0 0.5 1.0 ] ? Good for Inc/Dec encoders -- also clamped to range

[ 0.0 0.5 1.0 ] ? Good for press - press - press up the ladder, then reseting to first value

Is there anything missing ?
Old 02-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #6298
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Now, can't we already comment on the same line of an FX Zone? All of my FX zones look like this:

SomeWidget FXParam "0" "Threshold"

The "ParameterName" is not necessary, essentially free form, is totally ignored by CSI and works perfectly fine. Also, the quotes around the parameter number came from the Learn Mode window that rare time I got to work, so I just stuck with that convention. The ReaComp.zon in the FP16 folder uses this same "0" "Threshold" syntax so I'm assuming it's officially supported. Would be nice to get a definitive syntax.

Anyway if that works for FX zones, why not stick with it? And if that works for FX Zones, why not do the same thing for standard zones? Example:

SomeWidget Reaper "01234" "whatever this action is"

I don't have a strong preference as to whether it's a hash or quotes or a backslash, but I would very much like to be able to comment on the same line, and do it consistently between FX zones and standard zones.

Just my two cents! Will check out the updated build tomorrow!
Yeah, those are not comments, they are aliases -- the name used for displays on a C4 or other surfaces like that, so C4 users would not be able to use aliases and comments together -- so that doesn't work

The ? icon means 'help' -- which is what a comment really is -- let's go with anything after the '?' is ignored, as is the '?' itself.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #6299
Funkybot

Quote:
Can you do that in reverse -- hmmm -- that means as you turned the volume down - down - down - BOOM -- suddenly it goes to full volume because it reset to the top value -- that's not gonna work...

Maybe we only allow upward motion of the press -- press -- press kind, eventually reseting to the bottom and starting all over.

If you REALLY need to go backwards you could just list the step params in reverse order [ 1.0 0.5 0.0 ].

Hmmm as I write this maybe that's it.
I like the combination. Users should be able to do something like:

ButtonWidget FXParam "0" [0.0 0.5 1.0]
Shift+ButtonWidget FXParam "0" [1.0 0.5 0.0]

Each of those should reset to the first value after the last value was reached. This way a modifier could be used to dictate up or down motion.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #6300
Funkybot

Quote:
Yeah, those are not comments, they are aliases -- the name used for displays on a C4 or other surfaces like that, so C4 users would not be able to use aliases and comments together -- so that doesn't work
Ah, the only surface I have with CSI-compatible displays is the Eucon. Didn't realize they were aliases. Makes sense!

I'm good with question marks.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #6301
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I like the combination. Users should be able to do something like:

ButtonWidget FXParam "0" [0.0 0.5 1.0]
Shift+ButtonWidget FXParam "0" [1.0 0.5 0.0]

Each of those should reset to the first value after the last value was reached. This way a modifier could be used to dictate up or down motion.
Imagine param "0" is MasterVolume.

In the Shift case the volume goes down - down - down - BOOM - full volume.

Maybe we do want to let that dynamite keg loose, but I'm just trying to find ways to make it as safe as possible

[Edit] Aha, maybe a rule, reset only works if the current value is higher than the reset value.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #6302
Funkybot

Quote:
Imagine param "0" is MasterVolume.

In the Shift case the volume goes down - down - down - BOOM - full volume

Maybe we do want to let that dynamite keg loose, but I'm just trying to find ways to make it as safe as possible
I'm 99% sure that 99% of users would know not to assign a button to step through the master volume. And if they do, hey that's their bad, better have volume protection engaged in Reaper's preferences. You could take the Reaper approach of allowing people enough rope to hang themselves with.

I'd just want the ability to say "go up" then "oops, too far, I need to step back one"' and be able to. Hence the idea of ButtonPress goes up and Shift+ButtonPress can go down. (or Alt+ButtonPress)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #6303
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I'm 99% sure that 99% of users would know not to assign a button to step through the master volume. And if they do, hey that's their bad, better have volume protection engaged in Reaper's preferences. You could take the Reaper approach of allowing people enough rope to hang themselves with.
Check the [Edit] in the previous post -- we may be able to have our cake and eat it too
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #6304
Funkybot

Quote:
Check the [Edit] in the previous post -- we may be able to have our cake and eat it too
I didn't quite understand what you wrote but I trust you. I'd just suggest you make it so users can step upwards through the parameter, and use a modifier to change directions and step backwards.

Let's say I have 5 steps, and I'm aiming for step 3 but go too far and end up on step 4. It would be be much better if I could Shift back down from 4 to 3, rather than having to cycle through just to get back to it. Users could even then go back and forth between two adjacent steps if they couldn't decide which they liked better.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #6305
Cragster

Quote:
I would:

1. Backup your entire CSI folder
2. Overwrite the .dll's
3. Overwrite the CSI folder
4. Go back to your backup copy, and restore your original csi.ini (overwriting the new one)
5. If you've modified any of the zones or .mst's for your own personal use, restore those from your backup too
i have no idea what im doing wrong.i did exactly that to update to new build and those curly brackets that are supposed to be around the 3 numbers that are in the .ini file from the last build keep going away ? i add them back and if i restart reaper or restar the csi after making a button mapping change those brackets go away? and the learn mode thing will not show up in my action list.i know this cant be hard but it seems to be for me. any suggestions what im doing wrong ?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #6306
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I didn't quite understand what you wrote but I trust you. I'd just suggest you make it so users can step upwards through the parameter, and use a modifier to change directions and step backwards.

Let's say I have 5 steps, and I'm aiming for step 3 but go too far and end up on step 4. It would be be much better if I could Shift back down from 4 to 3, rather than having to cycle through just to get back to it. Users could even then go back and forth between two adjacent steps if they couldn't decide which they liked better.
Yeah, let me put it a better way.

If you keep pressing ButtonWidget this happens:

0.0 0.5 1.0 0.0 0.5 1.0 0.0 0.5 1.0...

If you keep pressing Shift+ButtonWidget this happens:

1.0 0.5 0.0

Shift+ButtonWidget reaches the end value -- 0.0 -- and makes it the current value

The next time you press Shift+ButtonWidget it says, whoa, end of the line let's reset.

What's our current value ?

What would we be resetting to ?

Nope, it's higher than current value, not gonna' do it.

Simple as that - you can still go around and around, up and down, but can't cause catastrophes as easily -- you can probably still cause catastrophes, just not with an oft used practical use case like the one you layout nicely, "oops I missed, let's back up one", that should be easy AND safe.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #6307
Funkybot

Makes sense now Geoff! Sounds good.

Cragster, no idea what's going on there. Sorry!

EDIT: any chance you have anti-virus software that doesn't like you making changes in the Program Files folder? That's a wild guess.

Last edited by Funkybot; 02-02-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #6308
Cragster

Quote:
Makes sense now Geoff! Sounds good.

Cragster, no idea what's going on there. Sorry!

EDIT: any chance you have anti-virus software that doesn't like you making changes in the Program Files folder? That's a wild guess.
hmm dont know maybe i guess.i have mcafee antivirus. i will try disable it.but i also noticed in my zone file there is a button mapped to toggle the learn mode page. it was in ther from the person i got this zone file from and i havnt changed it yet.and this was before the last 2 builds. do you think since that button is mapped to toggle the learn mode page it is somehow conflicting with the new build trying to add that page to my action list ?? i dont know just grasping for straws here
Old 02-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #6309
UNdark

Default MCU - assign external pedals?

"You can't have spaces in Widget names.

Change Pedal A to PedalA."

Sorted it perfectly Thank you. It's only taken 1 day of setup and learn to get things happening on the MCU pretty much perfect for my intentions= less mouse and screen!! I'm happy to share the context I have this in use with specific action commands if there's a place to do that formally ?
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #6310
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yeah, let me put it a better way.

If you keep pressing ButtonWidget this happens:

0.0 0.5 1.0 0.0 0.5 1.0 0.0 0.5 1.0...

If you keep pressing Shift+ButtonWidget this happens:

1.0 0.5 0.0

Shift+ButtonWidget reaches the end value -- 0.0 -- and makes it the current value

The next time you press Shift+ButtonWidget it says, whoa, end of the line let's reset.

What's our current value ?

What would we be resetting to ?

Nope, it's higher than current value, not gonna' do it.

Simple as that - you can still go around and around, up and down, but can't cause catastrophes as easily -- you can probably still cause catastrophes, just not with an oft used practical use case like the one you layout nicely, "oops I missed, let's back up one", that should be easy AND safe.
Sorry I missed the discussion- had work to get done today. It sounds like you and @FunkyBot have pretty much sorted it out

I like the idea of being able to reverse the direction of steps by writing the values in descending order. Means you could use a couple of buttons as up/down or one button with Shift as @FunkyBot suggests.

Regarding wraparound, it hasn't been mentioned, but I don't think encoders should be able to do this at all (being able to 'go back' is inherent with encoders after all) They get to max in CW direction and stop and min CCW and stop.

As for presses, I'd be happy if the wraparound only happened in the increasing direction (so you couldn't move from 0 to 1 in a single step) It also makes for minimum definition effort to create trivial 3 or 4 steppers, where you just want the thing to go round and round.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #6311
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Sorry I missed the discussion- had work to get done today. It sounds like you and @FunkyBot have pretty much sorted it out

I like the idea of being able to reverse the direction of steps by writing the values in descending order. Means you could use a couple of buttons as up/down or one button with Shift as @FunkyBot suggests.

Regarding wraparound, it hasn't been mentioned, but I don't think encoders should be able to do this at all (being able to 'go back' is inherent with encoders after all) They get to max in CW direction and stop and min CCW and stop.

As for presses, I'd be happy if the wraparound only happened in the increasing direction (so you couldn't move from 0 to 1 in a single step) It also makes for minimum definition effort to create trivial 3 or 4 steppers, where you just want the thing to go round and round.
Cool, yeah, I think it's close, just gonna let it simmer for a day or so, in case anything else comes to mind, then it's off to build it.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #6312
Cragster

Ive been thinking about the pages thing you guys were talking about before. Is it ok to have different pages for the same surface ? Like say i wanted to have a mix page .an edit page ..maybe a recording page or whatever and i had the same zone file for all of them but just each one would have the buttons mapped with actions for that particular page and a different zone file name .so i would have a prox zone file..a prox edit zone file ..a prox recording zone file ...etc with buttons mapped to switch between these pages like u guys were talking about. My thought was the pages were for different surfaces. Can they be for the same surface ? So then say a button could do 3 or 4 different actions depending on what page im on. Is this possible ?
Old 02-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #6313
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ive been thinking about the pages thing you guys were talking about before. Is it ok to have different pages for the same surface ? Like say i wanted to have a mix page .an edit page ..maybe a recording page or whatever and i had the same zone file for all of them but just each one would have the buttons mapped with actions for that particular page and a different zone file name .so i would have a prox zone file..a prox edit zone file ..a prox recording zone file ...etc with buttons mapped to switch between these pages like u guys were talking about. My thought was the pages were for different surfaces. Can they be for the same surface ? So then say a button could do 3 or 4 different actions depending on what page im on. Is this possible ?
Yes, that's exactly what it's for -- big changes -- like going from edit to mix, etc.

The differences between Pages can be subtle or dramatic or anything in between.

You are now using just one Page.

Imagine being able to start all over again and do anything you want:
Keep all the same surfaces
Keep some but not others
Keep no surfaces the same
etc.

That's what a Page definition is.

CSI contains Pages - Pages are defined in CSI.ini

Pages contain Surfaces.

Surfaces contain Widgets - Widgets are defined in .mst, .ost etc.

Surfaces contain Zones - Zones are defined in .zon files.

The new Page will probably point to the same .mst/.ost files.
The new Page will have a different Zone Folder and different .zon files to make the buttons do different things on different Pages.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #6314
Cragster

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what it's for -- big changes -- like going from edit to mix, etc.

The differences between Pages can be subtle or dramatic or anything in between.

You are now using just one Page.

Imagine being able to start all over again and do anything you want:
Keep all the same surfaces
Keep some but not others
Keep no surfaces the same
etc.

That's what a Page definition is.

CSI contains Pages - Pages are defined in CSI.ini

Pages contain Surfaces.

Surfaces contain Widgets - Widgets are defined in .mst, .ost etc.

Surfaces contain Zones - Zones are defined in .zon files.

The new Page will probably point to the same .mst/.ost files.
The new Page will have a different Zone Folder and different .zon files to make the buttons do different things on different Pages.
Oh MANNNNNN !!! i thought it was just for different surfaces. Dam i got some work to do !!!!! Thanks Geoff .this will keep me out of your hair for a while haha !
Old 02-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #6315
MixMonkey

Quote:
Cool, yeah, I think it's close, just gonna let it simmer for a day or so, in case anything else comes to mind, then it's off to build it.
Just a quick thought- Press will be able to send a single (not 0 or 1) value won't it? This can be very useful to reset controls (usually bipolar) whose '0' is some value other than 0.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #6316
pane.valentin

Default Notepad++ Color

Hey everybody.

I case anybody needs it, you can find a NotePad++ language syntax coloring file for .mst and .zon files here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38205/CSI%20notepad%2B%2B.xml
pane.valentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #6317
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pane.valentin View Post
Hey everybody.

I case anybody needs it, you can find a NotePad++ language syntax coloring file for .mst and .zon files here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38205/CSI%20notepad%2B%2B.xml
Excellent! Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #6318
SebyMusic

Default Midi Channel Question

Hi again guys, I'm building an arduino Controller.
Right now, the arduino have one encoder lol, I'm starting out!.

When I analyse with midi OX, it seems that when I move the encoder, it's on channel 2 in.

My question is.
Does CSI car about on what channel the midi comes in?
Cause when I go to CSI learn mode and move the encoder, it seems to detect the "Fader" code that I've put in zon file.

Zon file
Code:
Zone "Home"
 	IncludedZones
    		"Buttons|"
    		"Channel|1-8"
  	IncludedZonesEnd
	Fader TrackVolume
ZoneEnd
mst
Code:
Widget Fader
	Fader7Bit b1 38 7f
	FB_Fader7Bit b1 38 7f
WidgetEnd
But the fader of the track itself does not move. So I don't know if it's in my code or the Arduino itself the problem
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #6319
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi again guys, I'm building an arduino Controller.
Right now, the arduino have one encoder lol, I'm starting out!.

When I analyse with midi OX, it seems that when I move the encoder, it's on channel 2 in.

My question is.
Does CSI car about on what channel the midi comes in?
Cause when I go to CSI learn mode and move the encoder, it seems to detect the "Fader" code that I've put in zon file.

Zon file
Code:
Zone "Home"
 	IncludedZones
    		"Buttons|"
    		"Channel|1-8"
  	IncludedZonesEnd
	Fader TrackVolume
ZoneEnd
mst
Code:
Widget Fader
	Fader7Bit b1 38 7f
	FB_Fader7Bit b1 38 7f
WidgetEnd
But the fader of the track itself does not move. So I don't know if it's in my code or the Arduino itself the problem
You haven't put a Channel Zone in your Home Zone, although with only one fader you probably don't need it. No quotation marks around Zone name, though. Try:
Code:
Zone Home

Fader TrackVolume

ZoneEnd
Regarding the channels, you've defined the fader as being on channel 2, so you should be fine.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #6320
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just a quick thought- Press will be able to send a single (not 0 or 1) value won't it? This can be very useful to reset controls (usually bipolar) whose '0' is some value other than 0.
Yes, but that feature is a bit down the road.