Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #6241
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
can i ask do you delete the old .dll file or just put the new one in keeping the old one in there as well ?
You shouldn't have to delete the old one as the new one overwrites it, but yes, delete the old one first.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #6242
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
You shouldn't have to delete the old one as the new one overwrites it, but yes, delete the old one first.
ok thanks i guess ill download that build again and try replacing the .dll file and see iff that works.thanks for your help.
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #6243
SebyMusic
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hello guys, I have a special question for you guys.
I have build a teensy arduino to try to control some reaper plugin just for fun.
So, How can I know what kind of message for instance a knob encoder should send.
With midi ox I can see what is does receive, but in reaper, I don't know what it receive, there's no console to see it... Or if there's one, I don't know where.

So I was able to turn an encoder on my "creation" and only once I was able to make the plugin knob moves. So I thought I had it lol.

Nope. Now, not working anymore. So I guess my code is wrong in arduino.
Is there anyone with working code with just simple encoders or libray somewhere?

tks for your help
Seby
If anybody with some ecperience, what CC or channel, or else should I know when I configure an encoder to send message to CSI?
tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #6244
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
ok thanks i guess ill download that build again and try replacing the .dll file and see iff that works.thanks for your help.
didnt work.no learn mode .oh well i dont use that page anyway .thanks
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #6245
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
didnt work.no learn mode .oh well i dont use that page anyway .thanks
Quit Reaper, move CSI.ini onto the desktop and re open Reaper. Do you see the action now?
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #6246
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Quit Reaper, move CSI.ini onto the desktop and re open Reaper. Do you see the action now?
Still no
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #6247
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
If anybody with some ecperience, what CC or channel, or else should I know when I configure an encoder to send message to CSI?
tks
Seby
Why don’t you analyse the output of your BCR2000 and copy that?
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #6248
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Still no
sorry, don't know then.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #6249
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
sorry, don't know then.
No worries.thanks alot for trying !!!
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #6250
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default

This project is amazing!

My Icon Platform Nano finally seems to be alive, kind of...

Does anyone have the same issue as me?

Nearly all the buttons seems to work fine, except a few special ones and REPEAT.

But none of the mixer functions seem to work. The fader stays at 0, pan at L and mute and solo won't react.

Great job adding the buttons though!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #6251
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
This project is amazing!

My Icon Platform Nano finally seems to be alive, kind of...

Does anyone have the same issue as me?

Nearly all the buttons seems to work fine, except a few special ones and REPEAT.

But none of the mixer functions seem to work. The fader stays at 0, pan at L and mute and solo won't react.

Great job adding the buttons though!
Probably best to post your files..zone file and .mst(widget) file and see what we can see wrong if any thing
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #6252
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berlin
Posts: 10,942
Default

Is the syntax and featureset somewhat locked down yet ? I ask because I have some time now to really dig in to the Faderport 16 setup.

In StudioOne mode you don't need to address the unit in blocks of 8 faders, but can use all 16 at once. The MCU mode stuff just barely works, and I get several "this widget has already been defined in MCU" errors if I try to use the MCUXT for the second set of 8 faders, so I'm going all out in to StudioOne mode.

We have all the buttons mapped in the .mst file, but there are no feedback processors for the track displays yet.

EDIT: The documentation seems to be complete in the manual of the current version.

On the downloads page for the unit , the english owners manual(for both Faderport 8 and 16) on page 81 shows this info.

Is that how MCU stuff handles its displays as well ? Is there a way for non-coders like me to contribute just with midi messages ? Perhaps a widget config file that CSI can use to "send this" with variables for standin ? The scribble strips are highly configurable after all.
__________________
(Video)Using Latch Preview - Faderport16 CSI config
Airon Audio Dia/FX Edit&Mix
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom

Last edited by airon; 02-01-2020 at 02:38 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #6253
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default Icon Platform Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Probably best to post your files..zone file and .mst(widget) file and see what we can see wrong if any thing
OK, since I don't really know how they work, here are the files.
Although I like to mention that they are the "stock" files. I haven't touched them yet.

I had to rename the file extension and with it the filenames to upload them.
Attached Files
File Type: txt IconNano_mst.txt (8.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: txt IconNano_zon.txt (3.4 KB, 70 views)
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #6254
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Is the syntax and featureset somewhat locked down yet ? I ask because I have some time now to really dig in to the Faderport 16 setup.
Yes, there may be additions, but anticipated changes to existing syntax will be small and of the search/replace variety, I'd say go ahead, jump in

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
In StudioOne mode you don't need to address the unit in blocks of 8 faders, but can use all 16 at once. The MCU mode stuff just barely works, and I get several "this widget has already been defined in MCU" errors if I try to use the MCUXT for the second set of 8 faders, so I'm going all out in to StudioOne mode.

We have all the buttons mapped in the .mst file, but there are no feedback processors for the track displays yet.

EDIT: The documentation seems to be complete in the manual of the current version.

On the downloads page for the unit , the english owners manual(for both Faderport 8 and 16) on page 81 shows this info.

Is that how MCU stuff handles its displays as well ? Is there a way for non-coders like me to contribute just with midi messages ? Perhaps a widget config file that CSI can use to "send this" with variables for standin ? The scribble strips are highly configurable after all.
Thanks for reminding me, I've owed this one to FP folks for a while.

RGB is currently working here on the Launchpad -- so it is simply a matter of adding an FB_FaderPortRGB7Bit feedback processor -- will have it to you within a week.

The displays have 10 modes and require a SysEx driver -- that's a bit more work but not too much

I will rely on you to help me describe a usable syntax for that one, if that's OK

So for RGB on/off colours:

Code:
Zone "SomeZone"
    PlayWidget Play 			{ 0 25 0  0 127 0 }
ZoneEnd
PlayWidget is initially very subtle light green { 0 25 0 }

When Play is engaged play brightens to { 0 127 0 }

127 is the highest value due to the Midi 7 bit thing -- internally we just double the values to get the familiar 255 255 255 RGB range.

The other late addition (not coded yet, but real soon) is stepped values which looks like this -- the first one is a list of discrete values -- the second is a constrained range:

Code:
Zone "SomeZone"
    SomeWidget FXParam 3	[ 0.0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1.0 ]
    OtherWidget FXParam 7	[ 0.0-1.0 ]
ZoneEnd
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #6255
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Been thinking about the infamous double mapping phaser exploding issue

Double mapping is very handy and should be allowed.

Feedback causes the problem.

Isn't it as simple as -- only the first action gets to provide feedback -- you control the order in the .zon file, so you can choose whatever Action you want to send the feedback to the Widget.

Am I missing something obvious, or is that the workable solution ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #6256
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
The other late addition (not coded yet, but real soon) is stepped values which looks like this -- the first one is a list of discrete values -- the second is a constrained range:

Code:
Zone "SomeZone"
    SomeWidget FXParam 3	[ 0.0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1.0 ]
    OtherWidget FXParam 7	[ 0.0-1.0 ]
ZoneEnd
Please, please, please on this It's pretty much the final piece in the FX mapping puzzle. The only holes I have left are ones that can be filled by this.

Quote:
Been thinking about the infamous double mapping phaser exploding issue

Double mapping is very handy and should be allowed.

Feedback causes the problem.

Isn't it as simple as -- only the first action gets to provide feedback -- you control the order in the .zon file, so you can choose whatever Action you want to send the feedback to the Widget.

Am I missing something obvious, or is that the workable solution ?
Don't think you're missing anything, sounds like a good solution.

Double mapping opens up a lot of possibilities, particularly of the 'go to a zone and open a window' type variety, although this doesn't necessarily involve feedback.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #6257
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Been thinking about the infamous double mapping phaser exploding issue

Double mapping is very handy and should be allowed.

Feedback causes the problem.

Isn't it as simple as -- only the first action gets to provide feedback -- you control the order in the .zon file, so you can choose whatever Action you want to send the feedback to the Widget.

Am I missing something obvious, or is that the workable solution ?
Just making sure i got what u say .so i just leave out the 2nd FB line of the 2nd action of the double mapped button in the .mst file ? Hope i explained that right
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #6258
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
This project is amazing!

My Icon Platform Nano finally seems to be alive, kind of...

Does anyone have the same issue as me?

Nearly all the buttons seems to work fine, except a few special ones and REPEAT.

But none of the mixer functions seem to work. The fader stays at 0, pan at L and mute and solo won't react.

Great job adding the buttons though!
Hmm im new at this too .i was hoping maybe i would see some really obvious problem but i dont .maybe one of the other guys can take a look at your files. They are REALLY good at this stuff.
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #6259
UNdark
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 49
Default MCU - assign external pedals?

HI - Getting on with programming this now and it's great. I would really like to create a widget for the external pedal inputs of the MCU - (I've made a drop in action that re drops in 4 bars back from the point i stop recording so i can stagger through a recording able to drop in easily with one pedal press)

I have this working to the "drop" button but that's only because the widget was there and named correctly in the first place.

Could some one let me know how to create the correct name for this widget please?

Should be good from there, thanks

well worth spending today getting this up and running thanks!!
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #6260
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
This project is amazing!

My Icon Platform Nano finally seems to be alive, kind of...

Does anyone have the same issue as me?

Nearly all the buttons seems to work fine, except a few special ones and REPEAT.

But none of the mixer functions seem to work. The fader stays at 0, pan at L and mute and solo won't react.

Great job adding the buttons though!
1. I don't see a Repeat button in the .mst at all. You may need to manually add that one to the .mst if it's missing. Unless it's mapped under a different name.

2. How is the Platform Nano supposed to work? I'm not familiar with the device, but it looks like a one-fader device similar to the original FaderPort where said fader would control the selected track. This particular set of files shows multiple faders in the .mst, so do those correspond to different layers? I'm not sure.

Who created that .zon file? Was it WaveTrans? If so, maybe he'll pop in with more details about how this was setup to work or maybe provide an updated zon file.

Looking at the surface, I'd almost be inclined to use SelectedTrackNavigator, have a single fader mapped to the selected track fader, and just leave at that personally. But there may be good reason why there's more faders in the .mst.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #6261
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Please, please, please on this It's pretty much the final piece in the FX mapping puzzle. The only holes I have left are ones that can be filled by this.
Yup, coming soon to your neighbourhood
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #6262
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Just making sure i got what u say .so i just leave out the 2nd FB line of the 2nd action of the double mapped button in the .mst file ? Hope i explained that right
Here's how it works:
Code:
Zone "aZone"
    aWidget anAction
    aWidget anotherAction
ZoneEnd

Zone "aZone"
    aWidget anotherAction
    aWidget anAction
ZoneEnd
In the first one -- anAction sends feedback to aWidget

In the second one -- anotherAction sends feedback to aWidget

Simple as that -- the feedback comes from the 1st Action you define for a given Widget.

[Edit]:

Just realized a cool trick.

Say you had 2 Actions as above AND you wanted to ensure NO feedback, you could say this:

Code:
Zone "aZone"
    aWidget NoAction
    aWidget anAction
    aWidget anotherAction
ZoneEnd

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 02-01-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #6263
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Geoff, any chance that having surfaces cover the same channels is coming soon? For instance, if I want 1-8 mirrored on two different surfaces.

My current primary setup is:

1. MIDI Fighter Twister is always on - covers focused FX, selected channel controls, light use as a mixer

2. Avid Artist Mix - Usually off, but come mix time, I'll turn on the Artist Mix in Eucon mode. At this point, I want the Artist mix to be the main mixing surface. I don't want the MFTwister stealing channels. If I make a change on the Artist Mix, and I happen to be on the MF Twister mixer page, I want to be able to see the fader change on the MF Twister or vice versa.

Right now, using the old Eucon mode in parallel with CSI works great because the Artist Mix is treated as one surface, completely separate from CSI. I'd like to move over to the new CSI+Eucon integration, but I don't want to mess up this setup. Being able to mirror the same channel banks across multiple surfaces would solve that.

I know "it's on the list" just not sure if it will be pre-beta phase.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #6264
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Geoff, any chance that having surfaces cover the same channels is coming soon? For instance, if I want 1-8 mirrored on two different surfaces.

My current primary setup is:

1. MIDI Fighter Twister is always on - covers focused FX, selected channel controls, light use as a mixer

2. Avid Artist Mix - Usually off, but come mix time, I'll turn on the Artist Mix in Eucon mode. At this point, I want the Artist mix to be the main mixing surface. I don't want the MFTwister stealing channels. If I make a change on the Artist Mix, and I happen to be on the MF Twister mixer page, I want to be able to see the fader change on the MF Twister or vice versa.

Right now, using the old Eucon mode in parallel with CSI works great because the Artist Mix is treated as one surface, completely separate from CSI. I'd like to move over to the new CSI+Eucon integration, but I don't want to mess up this setup. Being able to mirror the same channel banks across multiple surfaces would solve that.

I know "it's on the list" just not sure if it will be pre-beta phase.
That is a fairly major switch over -- aka fairly large mode change -- switching to mix mode.

I would suggest a new Page for that job.

Switching Pages is close to instant and allows for completely different surface definitions (.mst, .ost. etc.) as well as completely different .zon folders.

In other words a complete redefinition of all of your surfaces.

Now let's get together and figure out how we can make this work.

Could you please go about thinking of how you would design a Page to handle this workflow -- we'll fill any holes we find as we go -- we already know of one -- the banking issue.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #6265
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
That is a fairly major switch over -- aka fairly large mode change -- switching to mix mode.

I would suggest a new Page for that job.

Switching Pages is close to instant and allows for completely different surface definitions (.mst, .ost. etc.) as well as completely different .zon folders.

In other words a complete redefinition of all of your surfaces.

Now let's get together and figure out how we can make this work.
Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. I'm seeing 3 options:

Option 1. Keep doing what I'm currently doing, as long as I can get away with: use CSI in conjunction with legacy Eucon mode. Not sure if this will continue to be feasible in the future as I know you'd like to replace the legacy Eucon with the new integration. The benefit of this for me is that the legacy mode exists entirely outside of CSI and allows me to duplicate the surface. It's handy how I'm using it.

Option 2. Give up, and create an alternate .zon for the MFTwister that doesn't include the channels. Use this on my desktop in conjunction with the Artist Mix. If I were using my MFTwister on my laptop that my Artist Mix is connected to, I'd use the current .zon file that includes the channels to use it as a portable mixing surface.

Option 3. Figure out this Pages thing. I haven't played with more than one page yet (but I did just read through the Readme) and I have a million questions about how that would work.

So knowing next to nothing about pages, I have questions like...

a. How would one change from the "Home Page" to the [hypothetical] "Mix Page?" Can pages be assigned to widgets? Or would I have to enter the CSI menu and switch there? Could they be assigned to Reaper actions (and thus potentially widgets, toolbar icons, etc.)?

b. Could surface A in the Home page, and surface B in the Mix page share the same channels? Probably not, but figured I'd specifically ask. That'd be the most obvious solution.

c. How does one assign .mst/.ost and .zon files to different pages? Would there be multiple mst and zone folders (respectively)? No idea how that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Could you please go about thinking of how you would design a Page to handle this workflow -- we'll fill any holes we find as we go -- we already know of one -- the banking issue.
Ideally, I'd have a "Home Page" this might include the following surfaces:

1. MF Twister - FX page/Track controls, global actions, basic mixer functions, sends. Definitely using this.
2. RemoteZeroSL - Possibly. It might be used for FX's due to the convenience of labels, but I'm mostly using the MFTwister right now.
3. SteinbergQC - Possibly, though not likely to be used. If so, just some additional actions.

This would be primarily what I'd use during my composition/day-to-day messing around workflow. You'll note, I wouldn't even want to necessarily have the Artist Mix mapped for that page. It's usually off.

Then there would be the "Mix Page" where I'd have:

1. MF Twister - same as above but no mixer controls (no "channel|1-8" zone)
2. Avid Artist Mix - mixing control surface ("channel|1-8" zone with everything else that makes sense for that surface)

Would that be doable?

Last edited by Funkybot; 02-01-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #6266
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1. I don't see a Repeat button in the .mst at all. You may need to manually add that one to the .mst if it's missing. Unless it's mapped under a different name.

2. How is the Platform Nano supposed to work? I'm not familiar with the device, but it looks like a one-fader device similar to the original FaderPort where said fader would control the selected track. This particular set of files shows multiple faders in the .mst, so do those correspond to different layers? I'm not sure.

Who created that .zon file? Was it WaveTrans? If so, maybe he'll pop in with more details about how this was setup to work or maybe provide an updated zon file.

Looking at the surface, I'd almost be inclined to use SelectedTrackNavigator, have a single fader mapped to the selected track fader, and just leave at that personally. But there may be good reason why there's more faders in the .mst.
Thanks, Funkybot!

Now I took the courage to fiddle with the two files and made some more buttons work just by adding the repeat button to the mst and then linking it to the REAPER action "Toggle repeat". That was easy enough. Did the same thing with the track's mute, solo and rec arm buttons and it seems to work flawlessly.

The real question is the fader though. Will look further into getting it to work. It is actually quite fun to do this!! Who would have thought?
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #6267
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
The real question is the fader though. Will look further into getting it to work. It is actually quite fun to do this!! Who would have thought?
If you need help with the fader, similar to what Goeff just said to me: think about how you expect the fader to work and let us know. Like, if you just want the fader active only the selected track, then I'm sure we could easily set that up for you.

I'd also double check that the fader widget is mapped correctly in the .mst. Just double check that your surface is transmitting the same values as shown in the .mst.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #6268
UNdark
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 49
Default MCU - assign external pedals?

This is what i added to widgets (mst) then chose the `ID i wanted it to trigger but no luck..
Widget Pedal A
Press 90 66 00
and this in the zon:
Zone "Buttons|"
Plugin Reaper _S&M_TOGLFXCHAIN
Send ToggleMapSelectedTrackSends
Track
Pan
ChannelLeft TrackBank "-1"
ChannelRight TrackBank "1"
BankLeft TrackBank "-8"
BankRight TrackBank "8"
Rewind Rewind
FastForward FastForward
Stop Stop
Play Play
Record Record
EQ
Instrument
Midi Tracks
Inputs
Audio Tracks
Audio Instrument
Aux
Busses
Outputs

Control+Plugin Reaper 8
Alt+Plugin Reaper 40344
Shift+Plugin Reaper _S&M_REMOVE_FX

smpteBeats CycleTimeDisplayModes
TimeDisplay TimeDisplay

Read TrackAutoMode "1"
Write TrackAutoMode "3"
Trim TrackAutoMode "0"
Touch TrackAutoMode "2"
Latch TrackAutoMode "4"
Group Reaper "42023"

Shift+Read GlobalAutoMode "1"
Shift+Write GlobalAutoMode "3"
Shift+Trim GlobalAutoMode "0"
Shift+Touch GlobalAutoMode "2"
Shift+Latch GlobalAutoMode "4"
Shift+Group Reaper "42024"

Save Reaper ""
Shift+Save Reaper "40022"

Undo Reaper "_84c1039ca1624decbba3f6dd060d5955"
Shift+Undo Reaper "40030"

Shift Shift
Option Option
Control Control
Alt Alt

Marker Reaper "40171"
Shift+Marker Reaper "40157"
Option+Marker Reaper "40174"
Control+Marker Reaper “40171”
Nudge Reaper "40173"
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper "40364"
Drop Reaper _BR_CYCLE_RECORD_MODES
Replace Reaper _ad515113b8a549f4bc1f8fa9e113d2c3
Pedal A Reaper _ad515113b8a549f4bc1f8fa9e113d2c3
ZoneEnd
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #6269
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNdark View Post
This is what i added to widgets (mst) then chose the `ID i wanted it to trigger but no luck..
You can't have spaces in Widget names.

Change Pedal A to PedalA.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #6270
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. I'm seeing 3 options:

Option 1. Keep doing what I'm currently doing, as long as I can get away with: use CSI in conjunction with legacy Eucon mode. Not sure if this will continue to be feasible in the future as I know you'd like to replace the legacy Eucon with the new integration. The benefit of this for me is that the legacy mode exists entirely outside of CSI and allows me to duplicate the surface. It's handy how I'm using it.

Option 2. Give up, and create an alternate .zon for the MFTwister that doesn't include the channels. Use this on my desktop in conjunction with the Artist Mix. If I were using my MFTwister on my laptop that my Artist Mix is connected to, I'd use the current .zon file that includes the channels to use it as a portable mixing surface.

Option 3. Figure out this Pages thing. I haven't played with more than one page yet (but I did just read through the Readme) and I have a million questions about how that would work.

So knowing next to nothing about pages, I have questions like...

a. How would one change from the "Home Page" to the [hypothetical] "Mix Page?" Can pages be assigned to widgets? Or would I have to enter the CSI menu and switch there? Could they be assigned to Reaper actions (and thus potentially widgets, toolbar icons, etc.)?

b. Could surface A in the Home page, and surface B in the Mix page share the same channels? Probably not, but figured I'd specifically ask. That'd be the most obvious solution.

c. How does one assign .mst/.ost and .zon files to different pages? Would there be multiple mst and zone folders (respectively)? No idea how that would work.



Ideally, I'd have a "Home Page" this might include the following surfaces:

1. MF Twister - FX page/Track controls, global actions, basic mixer functions, sends. Definitely using this.
2. RemoteZeroSL - Possibly. It might be used for FX's due to the convenience of labels, but I'm mostly using the MFTwister right now.
3. SteinbergQC - Possibly, though not likely to be used. If so, just some additional actions.

This would be primarily what I'd use during my composition/day-to-day messing around workflow. You'll note, I wouldn't even want to necessarily have the Artist Mix mapped for that page. It's usually off.

Then there would be the "Mix Page" where I'd have:

1. MF Twister - same as above but no mixer controls (no "channel|1-8" zone)
2. Avid Artist Mix - mixing control surface ("channel|1-8" zone with everything else that makes sense for that surface)

Would that be doable?
Not only doable but fairly easy

First you will need to define a button in BOTH pages to go back and forth.

If you only have 2 Pages this will do nicely.

Code:
   SomeButton NextPage
You could also do this on one Page:

Code:
   SomeButton GoPage "Mix"
and this on the other:

Code:
   SomeButton GoPage "HomePage"
When you initially set up your HomePage you specified Midi ports, .mst files, .zon folders etc. for each surface.

Imagine being able to start from scratch and do it all over again -- that's what another Page is -- it can be a close relative or copy of another Page or the 2 Pages can be as different as night and day -- it's all up to you.

Go take a look at the config panel, and ask away, looking forward to helping you explore Page potential.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #6271
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
If you need help with the fader, similar to what Goeff just said to me: think about how you expect the fader to work and let us know. Like, if you just want the fader active only the selected track, then I'm sure we could easily set that up for you.

I'd also double check that the fader widget is mapped correctly in the .mst. Just double check that your surface is transmitting the same values as shown in the .mst.
Alright, I changed a few values for the FaderTouch and Rotary assignment. But apart from that I don't know what else to do. I only want the fader to represent the selected track in REAPER and from this on be able to switch to the next or previous track with the buttons ChannelLeft and ChannelRight.

But the none of them seem to respond
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #6272
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Geoff, thanks. That does sound pretty easy. And swapping pages might be a good use for my Steinberg CMC.QC since the MFTwister has replaced the original functionality in my CMC mapping. Might give me good reason to actually keep using the thing.

So basically, I can create a second set of .mst's a second zone folder with a new set of .zon's, setup the surfaces using the new mst/zon's in the second page, and use widgets to bounce between pages. Interesting! I'll definitely give this a play (might wait for the next build though).
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #6273
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Alright, I changed a few values for the FaderTouch and Rotary assignment. But apart from that I don't know what else to do. I only want the fader to represent the selected track in REAPER and from this on be able to switch to the next or previous track with the buttons ChannelLeft and ChannelRight.

But the none of them seem to respond
First thing's first: do the MIDI addresses in the .mst match up with the surface? If yes, good!

Next, back up your existing .zon. I don't want to mess anything up.

Now, what if we try replacing your Channel zone with this? Does that help?

Code:
Zone "Channel|"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	DisplayUpper  		TrackPanDisplay
	DisplayLower  		TrackNameDisplay 
	TrackTouch+DisplayUpper TrackVolumeDisplay
	ChannelLeft     Reaper "40286"
	ChannelRight	Reaper "40285"
	Rotary 		TrackPan 		"0"
	RotaryPush 		GoZone 			"PanWidth"
	RecordArm  		TrackRecordArm
	Solo  TrackSolo
	Mute TrackMute
	Fader  TrackVolume
	Select TrackUniqueSelect
	FaderTouch TrackTouch
	VUMeter TrackOutputMeter
ZoneEnd
The Selected Track Navigator makes those widgets work on the selected track only. I also got rid of the pipe characters because I think those are only needed if you're controlling a number of faders/buttons/etc. Also, for some reason I found that for next and previous channel, you have to use the Reaper actions when being used with Selected Track Navigator. Not sure if that's a bug but that's something that came up with my CMC-QC.

Geoff or anyone else, feel free to correct any syntax errors.

Also don't forget to close and restart Reaper after making any .zon changes or else they won't take effect (you probably already knew that).

Last edited by Funkybot; 02-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #6274
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
First thing's first: do the MIDI addresses in the .mst match up with the surface? If yes, good!

Next, back up your existing .zon. I don't want to mess anything up.

Now, what if we try replacing your Channel zone with this? Does that help?
This is great and definitely some progress! Thanks a lot!

So, the panning works (not the width though), although the device's poti makes way too fine movements, but I guess this is not adjustable via CSI?

The fader still won't react to the track selection.

The ChannelLeft and ChannelRight buttons are behaving in a weird way - they kind of jump two or more tracks at once and then lose focus of the selected tracks. So if I turn the pan pot again, it sometimes won't react.
I checked back in MIDIOX and it seems like the ChannelRight for example is cycling through all 8 tracks:

(This is me pressing ChannelRight 8 times in a row, it only goes from 18 to 1F)
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #6275
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

It looks like the way .zon and .mst were originally mapped were to have the one fader on the surface mapped to channels 1-8 (not including banking) and also the masterfader. This is because that one fader can apparently transmit data across multiple MIDI channels. So there's probably something on the device itself that allows you to engage that behavior and that's how 1 physical fader can become 9 virtual faders (8 channels + master) in the original .mst/.zon files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
The ChannelLeft and ChannelRight buttons are behaving in a weird way - they kind of jump two or more tracks at once and then lose focus of the selected tracks. So if I turn the pan pot again, it sometimes won't react.
Ok...maybe this has something to do with how the surface operates on multiple channels and how the oirginal .mst and .zon files were mapped. If you hit one of these buttons, then move the fader while monitoring the data, does the fader message also change? If yes, this would explain why it seems like things aren't working and focus is getting lost. The surface itself may be changing the data being transmitted based on what channel it thinks it's currently on.

It seems to me like the surface hardware is designed as an 8 channel control surface with a master track mode. So when you click Next Channel or Previous Channel on the hardware, it's probably moving from Fader1 to virtual Fader2, and not actually selecting the next channel in the DAW (like the Reaper action). This would totally explain why you're losing focus. I'd guess there's also a button or something that enables the master fader mode.

My prior advice was based on thinking the surface was designed to follow the selected track, which is what you discussed, but that may not be ideal based on how the hardware wants to work.

Last edited by Funkybot; 02-01-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #6276
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

If what I just said sounds right, let's go back to that original .zon. Don't add the NextChannel and PreviousChannels yet...I'd also even remove those two widgets from the .mst (back everything up first) if they weren't already there.

Going back to the oirginal zone, I made one small change to the .zon syntax. I changed "Channel|" in the Home zone->included zones, to "Channel|1-8" which may be what was missing before.

Try this.

Code:
Zone Home
	OnTrackSelection	MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
	OnFXFocus 		MapFocusedFXToWidgets
	IncludedZones
		"Buttons|"
		"JogWheelHack|"
		"Channel|1-8"
		"MasterChannel|"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Buttons|"
	/Track 		MonoStereo
	Track 		Reaper 	"40917"
	Send 		ToggleMapSelectedTrackSends
	Send 		Reaper 	"40293"
	Pan 		Reaper 	"_S&M_SELFXPREV"
	Plugin		ToggleMapFocusedFX
	Plugin 		Reaper 	"_S&M_TOGLFXCHAIN"
    	EQ 		Reaper 	"_S&M_SELFXNEXT"
    	Instrument	GoZone 	"Home" 
	
	Play 		Play
	Stop 		Stop
	Record 		Record
	Rewind 		Rewind
	FastForward 	FastForward
			
/red layer buttons (incl automation)
	/Flip 
	Read 		TrackAutoMode 	"1"
	Write 		TrackAutoMode 	"3"
	Trim 		TrackAutoMode 	"0"
	/GlobalView toggle Wiring diagram
	Wiring 		Reaper 		"42031"		
	Touch 		TrackAutoMode 	"2"
	Latch 		TrackAutoMode 	"4"
	/Group 
    	LatchPrev 	TrackAutoMode 	"5"
	
/Green layer buttons
	TrackLearn Reaper "65535"
	/Items
	/Takes
	/Create
	/Project
	Mixer Reaper "40078"
	/Track

/Blue button layer
	/nameValue Reaper?? code 34
	Marker 		Reaper "40157"
	/open nudge dialog
	Nudge 		Reaper "41228"
	RecordMode 	Reaper "_BR_CYCLE_RECORD_MODES"
	smpteBeats 	CycleTimeDisplayModes
	/ blue 6 CC58 Replace 
	Click 		Reaper "40364"
	UnSoloAll 	Reaper "40340"

/purple button layer 
	Save 		Reaper "40026"
	Undo 		Reaper "40029"
	/button cancel:
	Redo 		Reaper "40030"
	/Enter Reaper ??
	/modifiers
	Shift 		Shift
	Option 		Option
	Control 	Control
	Alt 		Alt

/yellow layer buttons
	/F1  Go to start of project
	F1 		Reaper 	"40042"
	/F2 Go to end of project
	F2 		Reaper 	"40043"
	/F3 select all
	F3 		Reaper 	"40182"
	/F4 unselect all
	F4 		Reaper 	"40289"
	/F5
	/F6 
	/F7
	/F8
ZoneEnd

Zone "JogWheelHack|"
/ scroll view left
	JogWheelRotaryCW 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW2 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW3 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW4 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW5 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW6 	Reaper "40140"
	JogWheelRotaryCW7 	Reaper "40140"

/scroll view right
	JogWheelRotaryCCW 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW2 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW3 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW4 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW5 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW6 	Reaper "40141"
	JogWheelRotaryCCW7 	Reaper "40141"
	
/Zoom
	Zoom+Up 		Reaper "40111"
	Zoom+Down 		Reaper "40112"
	Zoom+Right 		Reaper "1012"
	Zoom+Left 		Reaper "1011"
ZoneEnd

Zone "Channel|"
	TrackNavigator
	DisplayUpper  		TrackPanDisplay
	DisplayLower  		TrackNameDisplay 
	TrackTouch+DisplayUpper TrackVolumeDisplay
	Rotary| 		TrackPan 		"0"
	RotaryPush| 		GoZone 			"PanWidth"
	RecordArm|  		TrackRecordArm
	Solo|  TrackSolo
	Mute| TrackMute
	Fader|  TrackVolume
	Select| TrackUniqueSelect
	FaderTouch| TrackTouch
	VUMeter| TrackOutputMeter
ZoneEnd

Zone "MasterChannel|"
	MasterTrackNavigator 
	MasterFader TrackVolume
	VUMeterMaster TrackOutputMeter
ZoneEnd

Zone "Pan"
	TrackNavigator
	Rotary1 	TrackPan "0"
	DisplayUpper	TrackPanDisplay
	RotaryPush1 	GoZone "PanWidth"
ZoneEnd

Zone "PanWidth"
	TrackNavigator
	Rotary1 	TrackPanWidth 		"1"
	DisplayUpper	TrackPanWidthDisplay
	RotaryPush1 	GoZone 			"Pan"
ZoneEnd

Zone "Send|1-8"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	DisplayUpper|  		TrackSendVolumeDisplay
	DisplayLower|  		TrackSendNameDisplay
	Mute| 			TrackSendMute
	Fader| 			TrackSendVolume
	TrackTouch+Fader|	TrackSendVolume
	FaderTouch| 		TrackTouch
	Rotary| 		TrackSendPan "0"
ZoneEnd

Zone "FXMenu|1-8"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	DisplayUpper| 	FXNameDisplay |
	DisplayLower|	 NoAction
ZoneEnd
Now for fun, after you restart Reaper, add 8 tracks to your project. Do the faders do anything? Does pressing Next Channel on the surface change the fader control to the next channel in Reaper?

If not, stop listening to me and reach out WaveTrans directly since he (or she) did this mapping and should be able to help out. WaveTrans frequently this thread regularly so I wouldn't be surprised if they happen to just pop in.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #6277
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 575
Default

Please help anyone. I just changed the mapping of one of the functions in my zone file .im trying to start reaper and it instantly crashes evry time. I am losing my mind .i changed the zone file back to how i originally had it and still same .did a system restore and still thr same. Does anyone have a clue as to what i can do to fix this ? Has this ever happened to anyone ? It just will not start
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #6278
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 942
Default

Thanks so much for your effort, Funkybot!

Now that I changed everything back to normal, again all the Channel functions don't work. But I think you are right about the design with 8 channels + master.

Although! For fun I switched back and configured the Nano in REAPER as a simple Mackie Control Universe and the fader, pan, mute, solo, rec arm, transport, jog and a few buttons work!
The only thing that is weird is, that the ChannelRight would go to the next track but leaving selected al previous tracks it had passed (which I think might be just a wrong mapping made by the devs of Icon, giving the REAPER action "Track: Go to next track (leaving other tracks selected").
And of course, I won't be able to configure the missing buttons manually.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #6279
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Please help anyone. I just changed the mapping of one of the functions in my zone file .im trying to start reaper and it instantly crashes evry time. I am losing my mind .i changed the zone file back to how i originally had it and still same .did a system restore and still thr same. Does anyone have a clue as to what i can do to fix this ? Has this ever happened to anyone ? It just will not start
If it's CSI related, sounds like something in .zon or .mst could be crashing the parser. Can you post your .zon, .mst, and csi.ini files here?
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #6280
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Please help anyone. I just changed the mapping of one of the functions in my zone file .im trying to start reaper and it instantly crashes evry time. I am losing my mind .i changed the zone file back to how i originally had it and still same .did a system restore and still thr same. Does anyone have a clue as to what i can do to fix this ? Has this ever happened to anyone ? It just will not start
Please post the contents of your CSI.ini as well as any .mst and .zon files -- Reaper should NEVER crash because of CSI.

Also are you using the latest build ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.