Old 11-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
FrankS
Human being with feelings

Default Surge plugin doesn't show in reaper.

I have installed Surge (synthesiser) plug-ins both AU and VST3 versions, the installer has placed them in the correct folders. In Reaper, when I click on the effects button, they don't show up in the Add FX window (all the other VST3/AU plugins show up and work OK).
(I've done the obvious – relaunch Reaper, and restart computer)
Thanks for any suggestions.
iMac Mojave, reaper version 6.10.0
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums.
For me, (on PC) Surge is easily working in Reaper. but I totally fail to understand the concept of that plugin

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
nait

Weird, I noticed you said other VST3s work. I have Surge working on my PC without issue. Did you try scanning again?

I'm not sure if Reaper has a log for stuff that didn't load properly. You mentioned AU.. are you on a Mac then? Might be something specific to Mac, as with Windows, all your VST3s install their drivers in the same location that you're forced to use.. so it's kinda dummy proof. Not sure about on Mac though. Maybe verify that the folder where it installed the .vst3 file is in your reaper preferences for VST plugins paths.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-27-2020 at 11:51 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
For me, (on PC) Surge is easily working in Reaper. but I totally fail to understand the concept of that plugin
It's a synthesizer.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
spantini

Many times I get a download that installs in the wrong folder. All the correct folders are in the filepath.. they just wind up in the wrong folder. Usually, these DL to Reaper's VST Plugins Folder and don't appear in the Add FX window, even after a rescan. I have to move the .dll to the Steinberg/VST Plugins Folder and do a rescan, then they appear in the Add FX window. Doesn't always work.. just most of the time.
spantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
gvdv

I was able to install and use Surge on my previous, Win 10 laptop.

However, with this new Win 11 laptop, I am unable to get Surge to appear in Reaper's FX list.

I have re-scanned, closed and re-opened Reaper, and have also tried Surge-XT.

I also added the Program Files folder to the list of folders to be scanned for FX. (Both of these versions of Surge automatically install to Program Files, without giving you a chance to change the install directory/folder).

As with the OP two years ago, other VSTs appear in my FX list, and work.

But I cannot get Surge to work, so, for now, I have uninstalled it, but would like to get it working.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any replies.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:11 AM   #7
Softsynth

Edit:The OP has done the following and still has a problem:
Clear cach and re-scan perhaps?

Note also from the Surge XT webpage "To install, run the packaged installer. You will be given the option of automatically installing the AU Surge XT.component and the VST3 Surge XT.vst3 to their correct locations. The factory presets and wavetables will also be automatically installed.

Running the packaged installer will install Surge for all of the users of your Mac."

Quote:
Welcome to the Reaper forums.

-Michael
Michael,
If you don't like wavetable or subtractive synth sounds then this probably won't be your cup of tea. It can makes great playable sounds though for MPE and breath control for instance, but it's not taking on physical modelling like SWAM, and it's not replacing carefully recreated classic subtractive synthesisers either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
I was able to install and use Surge on my previous, Win 10 laptop.

However, with this new Win 11 laptop, I am unable to get Surge to appear in Reaper's FX list.

I have re-scanned, closed and re-opened Reaper, and have also tried Surge-XT.

I also added the Program Files folder to the list of folders to be scanned for FX. (Both of these versions of Surge automatically install to Program Files, without giving you a chance to change the install directory/folder).

Any ideas?

Thanks for any replies.
Clear cache and rescan tried?

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-23-2022 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Extra Mac info
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:09 AM   #8
hexSPA

I had trouble with one of the installers and clap. One of the latest nightlies fixed it but, being a mac issue, it might not work for you.

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/nightly_XT
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:11 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
If you don't like wavetable or subtractive synth sounds then this probably won't be your cup of tea.
I meant the user interface concept. But that post was long ago, maybe I'll retry tome day...
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:02 AM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
I meant the user interface concept. But that post was long ago, maybe I'll retry tome day...
-Michael
The user interface isn't bad. It's pretty good really it just used to be a bit of a minger, as the Scottish would say.

The original GUI was a real eyesore, like Mk1 Reaper (both excellent software originally with faces not even a mother could love!). Try the blue one, it's so much easier to look at.

Bless those earlier pioneers that could look past appearances!
Old 07-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #11
Xasman

Quote:
I meant the user interface concept...
I think of Surge rather like an ARP Odyssey for the 21st century.

I've been using it for years (bought it back when it was commercial software, before it went open source). Personally, I think the GUI is pretty much a work of genius - despite its being a powerful synth, I always found it really intuitive, quick and rewarding to use. But yeah, some of the newer skins are easier on the eye, for sure.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #12
dom64

I know it probably isn't the answer, but it 'might' be an idea to update Reaper.
(if at all possible)
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
I think of Surge rather like an ARP Odyssey for the 21st century.

I've been using it for years (bought it back when it was commercial software, before it went open source). Personally, I think the GUI is pretty much a work of genius - despite its being a powerful synth, I always found it really intuitive, quick and rewarding to use. But yeah, some of the newer skins are easier on the eye, for sure.
I didn't discover it until it was free. I must admit it took a couple of revisits to appreciate its excellence. There's a lot there to impress or underwhelm depending on how you approach it - especially if you tend to think you get what you pay for..

It's one of the best jack of all trades synth plugins. Pads, strings, mono & poly leads, almost modelled hybrid like instruments, retro subtractive sounds, it's so good at being set up for playing with controllers with all those modulation tuning possibilities too.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
It's one of the best jack of all trades synth plugins. Pads, strings, mono & poly leads, almost modelled hybrid like instruments, retro subtractive sounds, it's so good at being set up for playing with controllers with all those modulation tuning possibilities too.
Agreed. I really appreciate the myriad number of improvements made to it by the wonderful Surge team since it went open source, too. Not only that, but I only recently got around to trying the (relatively) newly-included Surge FX plugin which, as I discovered, is also a pretty impressive piece of kit too.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote