Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #10601
Nick Morris
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrglenn View Post
Thanks Nick. I would love to be able to set up a similar set of actions. Do you mind if I ask how you are binding the jog/shuttle wheels to their corresponding Reaper actions in EuControl? I think that's the step I'm missing.
Open reaper and make sure it is the focused program. In eucontrol, select the transport wheel. Click on the jog wheel. Then click the command button above. That will open the command editor where you click the add drop down, and add custom wheel command. Name it.
Next select the action for the left Turn of the wheel and Then select the action for the right turn of the wheel.
Close the command editor window. Now choose a button/key to assign the wheel mode to.
I have many of my wheel modes assigned to the soft keys. Now when you hit that key, your wheel mode is active and should display the modes name you gave earlier.

Last edited by Nick Morris; 10-20-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #10602
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
New build is up.

Hopefully fixes the config issue.

Auto guess templates only occurs on a new addition, not an edit.
No joy on the inclusive name thing, i'm afraid. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. Not a biggy and easy to workaround
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #10603
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
No joy on the inclusive name thing, i'm afraid. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. Not a biggy and easy to workaround
New build is up, I actually fixed a related bug last time, one that had also been there forever, undiscovered

Try this and see if it fixes things.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #10604
MixMonkey

Quote:
New build is up, I actually fixed a related bug last time, one that had also been there forever, undiscovered

Try this and see if it fixes things.
Nailed it

Also, just tried the raw parameter dump. Works really nicely! I don't know what the parameter count limit is now, but I fed it FabFilter Saturn2 (952 parameters) and they were all in the output file
Old 10-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #10605
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Nailed it

Also, just tried the raw parameter dump. Works really nicely! I don't know what the parameter count limit is now, but I fed it FabFilter Saturn2 (952 parameters) and they were all in the output file
Cool, one more swatted

Param count should be unlimited, the previous limitation was ReaConsole IIRC.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #10606
Nick Morris

Haven’t had a chance to check being deep in a few album mixes, but does hardware output sends still mess up regular sends?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #10607
MixMonkey

Quote:
Cool, one more swatted

Param count should be unlimited, the previous limitation was ReaConsole IIRC.
Looks like the Configurator will need its capacity increased, think I cut it off at a 1000
Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #10608
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Haven’t had a chance to check being deep in a few album mixes, but does hardware output sends still mess up regular sends?
Good time to raise the point Sends are being looked at at the mo'
Old 10-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #10609
pwallin

Quote:
Wouldn't you be worried that the track select button might wear out?
Ha, ha! About wearing track button that would be true too, but Encoder has this more mechanical thing, which gives a loud snap. That worries me if it wears out too fast.

Quote:
If your X-Touch.zon is working correctly, you should already be able to see the track names in the upper part of the display. The lower part of the display should be showing Pan/PanWidth info.

You need to enable ToggleScrollLink (map it to a button, preferably one with an LED) in the XTouch.zon file. With ScrollLink enabled, the surface should follow the screen and vice-versa.

I say should, because there seems to be a bug where the surface will only bank in a positive direction. That is to say, if track 24 is not visible on the surface and I select it on the screen, the surface will bank so it appears on the far left fader (or whatever number you set in the definition) However, if I then select track 1 on the screen, the surface doesn't bank.

Regarding the TrackManger, if you right click on its tab and tick "Mirror track selection" and "Scroll to selected track when mirroring selection" it will do what you want.
About names: Yes it shows names, but same time there is no track number visible. I would not need Pan values, so I might sacrifice that for track number instead. For Trackmanager I check your hint. Thanks! That may even be a solution for my tracknumber problem actually.

Last edited by pwallin; 10-21-2020 at 01:27 AM.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #10610
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Thanks for reminding me about this issue, as @MixMonkey says, Sends are getting completely redone right now, will incorporate hardware Sends this time around.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #10611
tdc

Quote:
Touch is working fine here, should have mentioned TrackTouch is now renamed to a more correct term -- FaderTouch.

Let me know if that fixes things.
Hi Geoff,

To clarify, this is the issue with Touch that we discussed a while back where the fader jumps to the previous level it was last touched at.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=7822

tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #10612
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
About names: Yes it shows names, but same time there is no track number visible. I would not need Pan values, so I might sacrifice that for track number instead. For Trackmanager I check your hint. Thanks! That may even be a solution for my tracknumber problem actually.
We don't have a mechanism to display track numbers, i'm afraid.

Out of curiousity, why are the track numbers useful to you?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #10613
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi Geoff,

To clarify, this is the issue with Touch that we discussed a while back where the fader jumps to the previous level it was last touched at.

That's what Touch mode is supposed to do though right? Or am I missing something in the photo?

"Touch mode will only write automation to a parameter when that parameter is being adjusted. The parameter(s) being adjusted will revert to their previous position as soon as they are released, enabling you to perform a quick adjustment for a section of the song and then let go of the parameter to revert to the previous setting."

You also see it here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4csw2GIT76Q
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #10614
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
That's what Touch mode is supposed to do though right? Or am I missing something in the photo?

"Touch mode will only write automation to a parameter when that parameter is being adjusted. The parameter(s) being adjusted will revert to their previous position as soon as they are released, enabling you to perform a quick adjustment for a section of the song and then let go of the parameter to revert to the previous setting."

You also see it here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4csw2GIT76Q
That's what I was thinking. If you want that rectangular block in the middle of the screenshot to be flat, don't take your finger off the fader.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #10615
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Geoff,

It looks like you dragged the fader to -inf, then let go.

It also looks like maybe the fader didn't jump back to the "flat line" position.

If you then touched it and the fader was still at -inf, the behaviour seen would be correct, the fader was touched while at -inf, and the envelope adjusted correctly.

So the key question is, did the fader jump back up when you let it go the first time.

If it did jump back to the "flat line" position we have a bug in CSI, Reaper, or both, or there is a config issue with your setup.

Please clarify exactly what happens to the fader, and then we will proceed from there.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #10616
MixMonkey

Quote:
It looks like you dragged the fader to -inf, then let go.

It also looks like maybe the fader didn't jump back to the "flat line" position.

If you then touched it and the fader was still at -inf, the behaviour seen would be correct, the fader was touched while at -inf, and the envelope adjusted correctly.

So the key question is, did the fader jump back up when you let it go the first time.

If it did jump back to the "flat line" position we have a bug in CSI, Reaper, or both, or there is a config issue with your setup.

Please clarify exactly what happens to the fader, and then we will proceed from there.
Interesting, I see it slightly differently:

i) The fader's been dragged to -inf. The screenshot shows the curve down and then flat at the bottom.

ii) The fader's been released and should jump back up to the flat line position, because it switches back to reading the existing data (flat line) If it doesn't, this is faulty.

iii) Here's where I see it looking wrong. The fader is touched, but not moved yet the graph shows -inf. It should show the flat line position, if the fader returned to the flat line position (as it should) in ii).

So, for me, the incorrect behaviour is on the right edge of the rectangular block, where the fader is touched again (assuming the fader correctly returned to the flat line position at ii) At this point the fader should be at the flat line position and the graph should show a flat line being written, until the fader is moved.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #10617
Funkybot

Quote:
So, for me, the incorrect behaviour is on the right edge of the rectangular block, where the fader is touched again (assuming the fader correctly returned to the flat line position at ii) At this point the fader should be at the flat line position and the graph should show a flat line being written, until the fader is moved.
I see that now...the fader is touched but not moved, but apparently jumps back down to inf? That would be a bug somewhere. I missed that the first time.

I'll try to reproduce later this evening. Wasn't seeing anything like that last night when I was playing around with Touch mode using my Artist Mix.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:19 AM   #10618
MixMonkey

Quote:
I see that now...the fader is touched but not moved, but apparently jumps back down to inf? That would be a bug somewhere. I missed that the first time.

I'll try to reproduce later this evening. Wasn't seeing anything like that last night when I was playing around with Touch mode using my Artist Mix.
As Geoff pointed out, it really depends whether the fader returns to the flat line position when initially released.

If it stays at -inf, that's wrong. If it returns correctly, but then starts writing data at -inf when touched (but not moved) that's wrong.

Over to @tdc
Old 10-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #10619
pwallin

Quote:
We don't have a mechanism to display track numbers, i'm afraid.

Out of curiousity, why are the track numbers useful to you?
Actually it was because when I have high trackcount I found right track more easily by number. Now I do not need it (explanation comes now). I tried your suggestion with mirroring Track Manager, but I could not get exactly what I needed. I made a custom action that on the Track Manager I first solo the track I want to my X-Touch go and then unmute it automatically. For some reason muting or soloing gets X-Touch jump properly on to right track and changes banking too. Otherwise I would have to do banking manually. This is a workaround, but works. I used CSI to assign shortcut to free X-Touch button.

With time I may find more direct way to do it. I have not yet tried all suggested CSI programming tricks yetNote, that CSI works fluently, but it's the Track Manager that is a culprit. I think it should have a "Select" function besides "Track Name", "TCP", "MCP", "M", "S" and so on. At the moment this system is quite ready for my mixing needs and I can take my time to really learn CSI.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #10620
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
Actually it was because when I have high trackcount I found right track more easily by number.
I see, cool

Quote:
Now I do not need it (explanation comes now). I tried your suggestion with mirroring Track Manager, but I could not get exactly what I needed.
IIRC the TrackManger behaviour was improved in Reaper V6. Might be worth a look.

Quote:
I made a custom action that on the Track Manager I first solo the track I want to my X-Touch go and then unmute it automatically. For some reason muting or soloing gets X-Touch jump properly on to right track and changes banking too. Otherwise I would have to do banking manually. This is a workaround, but works. I used CSI to assign shortcut to free X-Touch button.
I'll try this, thanks
Quote:
With time I may find more direct way to do it. I have not yet tried all suggested CSI programming tricks yetNote, that CSI works fluently, but it's the Track Manager that is a culprit. I think it should have a "Select" function besides "Track Name", "TCP", "MCP", "M", "S" and so on. At the moment this system is quite ready for my mixing needs and I can take my time to really learn CSI.
That's good Sounds like it's coming together for you.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #10621
pwallin

Quote:
I see, cool
IIRC the TrackManger behaviour was improved in Reaper V6. Might be worth a look.
I have V6 on my laptop. Previously I did not found solution with it, but I check it again with mirroring.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #10622
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Interesting, I see it slightly differently:

i) The fader's been dragged to -inf. The screenshot shows the curve down and then flat at the bottom.

ii) The fader's been released and should jump back up to the flat line position, because it switches back to reading the existing data (flat line) If it doesn't, this is faulty.

iii) Here's where I see it looking wrong. The fader is touched, but not moved yet the graph shows -inf. It should show the flat line position, if the fader returned to the flat line position (as it should) in ii).

Yes, my explanation was terrible

However, we're all in agreement, we need to know what happened to the fader, that's the starting point.

@Funkybot, if you could check it out on your Mix unit that would be great.

And @MixMonkey, if you could check it out on your MCU too, that might help us zero in on the cause.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 10-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #10623
kevrose

Quote:
Ok, try reloading the raw fx file into the sheet and trying to create the zone again. When you get an error message, the de-bugger ( and it is a bugger) clears all the variables including the save path.

Also, if you wanted to save a half finished layout as an Excel doc so you could work on it later, when you reopened it you would need to reload the corresponding raw FX file to reset the save path. This palava is because of the duff Visual Basic implementation in Excel for Mac. Sorry.
Still can't get this to work. Have tried it with some of the existing files in ZoneRawFXFiles as well (you gave me your installation before I think) and it happens with them too.

I don't have Excel on my Reaper Mac but recreated the folder structure on another one.

Any more ideas? If I get this working it's going to be such a time saver!
kevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #10624
Funkybot

Quote:
Yes, my explanation was terrible

However, we're all in agreement, we need to know what happened to the fader, that's the starting point.

@Funkybot, if you could check it out on your Mix unit that would be great.

And @MixMonkey, if you could check it out on your MCU too, that might help us zero in on the cause.
Ok, I was able to reproduce, but not consistently. Using the Artist Mix...

Steps:

1. Load up a track
2. Enter Touch Mode
3. Begin playback
4. Touch the fader and bring it down to minimum
5. Release the fader
6. Touch the fader again - maybe give it a tiny movement
7. Repeat steps 4-6 as needed

Result: every now and then, maybe 1 in 3 to 5 times, the fader will try to drop down to minimum value which you'll see reflected in the automation, even if the fader doesn't go absolutely to zero itself.

Expected Result: automation and fader would not attempt to jump to minimum in those instances, it would stay put.

Note: when I used it in tandem with my X-Touch One on the Selected Channel, the X-Touch One fader would drop to minimum value to match up with the Reaper automation even if the EuCon fader for the same channel was at or near unity gain. But I did test it without the X-Touch One on the same selected channel and reproduced that way too.

Hope the report helps.

Last edited by Funkybot; 10-21-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #10625
Funkybot

Testing Touch Mode with X-Touch One is even worse. Might be the hardware but...

1. Load up a track
2. Enter Touch Mode
3. Begin playback
4. Touch the fader and bring it down to minimum
5. Keep the fader at minimum

Result: the Reaper automation jumps back to the prior value even though you're still holding the fader at minimum. Like once you stop moving the fader, touch messages stop being registered.

Expected Result: as long as I'm touching that fader at minimum, the Reaper automation should stay put at minimum. The automation recorded shouldn't jump back to the prior value when the fader is still being held down at minimum.

Now....

6. Start over - touch the fader and bring it down to minimum
7. Release the fader

Result: The Reaper automation instantly jumps up back to the prior value. The X-Touch one fader follows several seconds later. It will literally linger at the minimum value for a few seconds before returning.

Expected Result: As soon as I release the fader, both the automation and fader should jump up to the previous value immediately.

Note...I've never actually used Touch mode in a project. I've always been more of a "enter Write or Latch mode and do my thing that way" kind of guy.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #10626
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Testing Touch Mode with X-Touch One is even worse. Might be the hardware but...

Result: the Reaper automation jumps back to the prior value even though you're still holding the fader at minimum. Like once you stop moving the fader, touch messages stop being registered.

Expected Result: as long as I'm touching that fader at minimum, the Reaper automation should stay put at minimum. The automation recorded shouldn't jump back to the prior value when the fader is still being held down at minimum.
That one sounds like you haven't got FaderTouch in the .mst mapped to FaderTouch in your zone file.

Reaper "simulates" release if it sees no movement for some period of time if there is no true touch defined.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #10627
Funkybot

Quote:
That one sounds like you haven't got FaderTouch in the .mst mapped to FaderTouch in your zone file.

Reaper "simulates" release if it sees no movement for some period of time if there is no true touch defined.
Hmm....looks ok to me but that doesn't mean anything if it's wrong. Here's what I got:

.mst
Code:
Widget FaderTouch1
	Press 90 68 7f 90 68 00
WidgetEnd
.zon
Code:
Zone "SelectedChannel"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	FaderTouch1  				FaderTouch
ZoneEnd
Note: in the CSI Show Input from Surface log, I can see the Fader Touch register a value of 1.0 when I touch the fader and a send a value of 0.0 when I release it as expected. So that part looks ok.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #10628
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hmm....looks ok to me but that doesn't mean anything if it's wrong. Here's what I got:

.mst
Code:
Widget FaderTouch1
	Press 90 68 7f 90 68 00
WidgetEnd
.zon
Code:
Zone "SelectedChannel"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	FaderTouch1  				FaderTouch
ZoneEnd
Note: in the CSI Show Input from Surface log, I can see the Fader Touch register a value of 1.0 when I touch the fader and a send a value of 0.0 when I release it as expected. So that part looks ok.
Ahh, that may be a bug on my end, Fader Touch is implemented for TrackNavigator, but not sure it works for SelectedTrackNavigator, if it isn't you would get exactly the behaviour you are seeing, will investigate.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #10629
Funkybot

Quote:
Ahh, that may be a bug on my end, Fader Touch is implemented for TrackNavigator, but not sure it works for SelectedTrackNavigator, if it isn't you would get exactly the behaviour you are seeing, will investigate.

Ah...glad that was useful. I think I'm kind of set on "Selected Track Navigator is the only way to go for this surface on my setup." Otherwise, if I set it up as a 1 channel surface using TrackNavigator, it steals a channel from the Artist Mix. Using the different navigators just simplifies things and gets me a best of both worlds situation when using both devices.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #10630
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ah...glad that was useful. I think I'm kind of set on "Selected Track Navigator is the only way to go for this surface on my setup." Otherwise, if I set it up as a 1 channel surface using TrackNavigator, it steals a channel from the Artist Mix. Using the different navigators just simplifies things and gets me a best of both worlds situation when using both devices.
Definitely, yours is a valid use case for the reasons you mention, just a bug on my end
Old 10-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #10631
Funkybot

Quote:
Definitely, yours is a valid use case for the reasons you mention, just a bug on my end
I'm sure this next request will be less helpful but TrackBank doesn't work with Selected Track Navigator. Would be great if it could select the next channel or the next 8 tracks up or down. Right now I use a custom action to simulate banking, but that makes my .zon file less useful for someone who wants similar functionality because they'd need to create and assign their own custom action. I get why it doesn't totally make sense in the context of that Navigator, but it would be great if we had dedicated CSI actions for that mode or just TrackBank.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #10632
cjewellstudios

Ok so I've successfully gotten back to where I was with the new build. Many thanks to Geoff!

Focused FX initialization seems pretty good!

Just a recap as I've been a silent follower for a while I have two MF Twisters that I use for mixing 32 channels and I also want to use that setup for focused FX.

One thing that I don't quite like (could be my fault) is if I close the GUI of a focused mapped plugin, everything goes blank. I want CSI to return back to my channel zone when I close that, especially if there isn't anything to show at all. Interestingly enough though, if I click on another plugin that I don't have an FX Zone for, CSI returns to the regular channel zone. Do I need to GoZone back or should that just be the way it works without having to do that?

Any advice on this? Here's my simple zone file:

Code:
 Zone Home
    OnFXFocus MapFocusedFXToWidgets
	IncludedZones
		"Channel 1-32"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Channel 1-32"
	TrackNavigator
	Shift+Rotary| TrackPan 0
	Rotary| TrackVolume  [ (0.0005,0.0005,0.001,0.001,0.0015,0.002,0.003,0.004,0.004,0.005,0.015) ]  
	MFTButton| TrackSolo   { 165 0 255 242 255 0 }
	Control+MFTButton| TrackMute
ZoneEnd
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #10633
RobinGShore

Quote:
Hi Geoff,

I can confirm that I'm also having this problem with my Avid S1 controller. It's been a longstanding bug with CSI, I made a post about it in May and another one in August, and it looks like Tony first posted about it even before that. Here is a description of what's going on as best I can explain:

If I start writing automation, then release the fader/knob to stop writing, then touch the fader/knob again but don't actually move it, Reaper will start writing from the value I last released on instead of the current value of the envelope. It usually corrects itself as soon as I actually move the fader/knob. This is most obvious when using the knobs, the bug is not a 100% consisting when using faders (though it happens enough to be a huge pain), but it seems to happen everytime if I use a knob.

There's also a few other longstanding automation bugs that have yet to be resolved:
  • If I move a control on a track that's in read automation mode the fader/knob values don't snap back like they should when I let go. It doesn't actually write any automation in Reaper (which is correct, it shouldn't) but since the fader doesn't snap back this mean that if I switch the track into another mode and then try to write some automation, it will start writing at the wrong value
  • If I write send automation in touch mode, the send envelope stays latched after I release it.
  • I can't change automation modes from Eucon. If I hit the eucon button for switching modes I can see the eucon mode indicator changing, but it doesn't actually change the mode in reaper. Same thing going the other way, if I switch modes in reaper, it doesn't update the automation status in eucon. I swear this was working in an earlier build.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #10634
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
If I start writing automation, then release the fader/knob to stop writing
Does the fader jump to the correct position when you release it ?

Quote:

• If I move a control on a track that's in read automation mode the fader/knob values don't snap back like they should when I let go. It doesn't actually write any automation in Reaper (which is correct, it shouldn't) but since the fader doesn't snap back this mean that if I switch the track into another mode and then try to write some automation, it will start writing at the wrong value
  • If I write send automation in touch mode, the send envelope stays latched after I release it.
  • I can't change automation modes from Eucon. If I hit the eucon button for switching modes I can see the eucon mode indicator changing, but it doesn't actually change the mode in reaper. Same thing going the other way, if I switch modes in reaper, it doesn't update the automation status in eucon. I swear this was working in an earlier build.
Will check into the first two.

The third one is definitely not implemented yet, it's on the list, and yes it did work before the re-arch.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:10 AM   #10635
kevrose

Default VCAs

Geoff,

I have an MCU and three XTs. Is it possible to assign one of the XTs to permanently have VCAs on it, regardless of what's happening on the others/banking etc?

I've read the VCA's and VCA Spill page on the Wiki but it doesn't do what I'd like (unless I'm failing to understand it fully, which could easily be the case )

Thanks
kevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:27 AM   #10636
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post
Geoff,

I have an MCU and three XTs. Is it possible to assign one of the XTs to permanently have VCAs on it, regardless of what's happening on the others/banking etc?

Thanks
I don't think so, but it's a great feature request !
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 AM   #10637
shosty

Quote:
Not planned, will put it on the list, but this is the first ask so it will be low priority.
I'm also interested in a linux version.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #10638
Cragster

https://youtu.be/MYDSP1tEz-Q

Hey guys. I know you all busy refactoring and stuff . This is not CSI related(at least I dont think it is) but you guys are good with this kinda stuff . I've been back n forth with Mike from icon and hes never seen anything like this. If you guys get a sec can u take a see at this video of my Prox faulty encoder. Do u think its mechanical or device/firmware related ? Just want to see if I can fix something like this. Icon mike says he gonna look into it. Hes been going far beyond helping me with my falling apart ProX lol.Icon support really good
Thanks guys

Last edited by Cragster; 10-22-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #10639
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
https://youtu.be/MYDSP1tEz-Q

Hey guys. I know you all busy refactoring and stuff . This is not CSI related(at least I dont think it is) but you guys are good with this kinda stuff . I've been back n forth with Mike from icon and hes never seen anything like this. If you guys get a sec can u take a see at this video of my Prox faulty encoder. Do u think its mechanical or device/firmware related ? Just want to see if I can fix something like this. Icon mike says he gonna look into it. Hes been going far beyond helping me with my falling apart ProX lol.Icon support really good
Thanks guys
This is absolutely standard behaviour for quadrature encoders, unfortunately

Most hardware includes firmware to compensate for this, but still, some often leaks through

CSI actually has logic to compensate for this also.

Hard to believe someone who works this in field has never seen this before, maybe they work at a more abstract level, but deep down at the hardware/firmware level, this is absolutely normal.

The first time I ran into this -- circa 2006 when I wrote the drivers for the original Faderport, i was surprised -- the "old hands" said "Get used to it" -- I did
Old 10-22-2020, 06:16 AM   #10640
Cragster

Quote:
This is absolutely standard behaviour for quadrature encoders, unfortunately

Most hardware includes firmware to compensate for this, but still, some often leaks through

CSI actually has logic to compensate for this also.

Hard to believe someone who works this in field has never seen this before, maybe they work at a more abstract level, but deep down at the hardware/firmware level, this is absolutely normal.

The first time I ran into this -- circa 2006 when I wrote the drivers for the original Faderport, i was surprised -- the "old hands" said "Get used to it" -- I did
Thanks Geoff. CSI can compensate you say ?? So is there anything I can do mapping/acceleration wise to at least make it better ? Or am i living with it ?
Thanks again Geoff
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote