Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Mr.Giggles
Human being with feelings

Default Reastream and Sound Card, a problem

So I'm using Reastream to send MIDI over LAN to an old computer with a Creative AWE64 soundcard. I'm mostly interested in the cheap FM synthesis sounds, but occasionally I like to hear what the WaveTable synthesis spits out.

I have the AWE64 computer set up so that I can just turn it on, wait a few minutes and it's ready to go. No input from me is necessary to use it (like a really slow to boot sound module.)

But here's the thing: I can only choose one output or the other. If I create two tracks, one outputting to the FM, and one to the WaveTable, and then add the Reastream plug-in to both tracks, only the first will receive any information. (I may have accidentally gotten it play all notes through both methods once, but I can't be sure.)

Ideally, I'd like to set one midi channel for the FM chip, and one for the WaveTable, but I don't know if this is possible, or if the sound card can even handle such a request.

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to pull this off? Should I just give up and go back to switching it to the output I want each time (which requires it being plugged into a monitor and having a mouse or a keyboard hooked up.)
Mr.Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Mr.Giggles
Human being with feelings

Update:

Okay, so I figured it out, and I'm going to post here for reference's sake.

First, all the midi tracks that I wanted to send over have to have ReaStream enabled. Lumping them all together as sub-tracks and ReaStreaming the main track doesn't seem to work.

Next, each track has its own channel. For example: Channel 1 - WaveTable Piano. Channel 2 - FM Piano. Channel 10 - WaveTable Drums. Channel 11 - FM Drums.

On the AWE64 computer, I had ReaStream enabled on only ONE track. Then I sent that track to every other track. Track 1 - Reastream. Track 2 - WaveTable (incoming MIDI channel 1 --> Output MIDI channel 1). Track 3 - FM (Ch. 2 --> Ch. 2) Track 4 - WT Drums (Ch. 10 --> Ch. 10) Track 4 - FM Drums (Ch. 11--> Ch. 10)

Now I can use either synth or both synths simultaneously. It took a while, but if you're looking for a maximum number of possible sounds, (as is my case), then it's definitely worth it. Mixing up some weird FM leads over nice WT pianos and some cheesy 80s sounding drums with weird FM percussion is a treat.

Now I hear that this AWE64 might even have another synthesis method, E-MU's physical modeling, so off we go again!
Mr.Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote