Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
apfoll
Human being with feelings

Default "greyed out" track somehow

New user. Not new to daws, midi, etc.

Working on a project, cutting and pasting midi around - working on a medley of songs. I managed to do something to the last song where the midi data is "greyed out". It's not muted but for the life of me I can't figure out how to "ungrey" it. Data on same track(s), 8 beats prior is "not grey" and plays fine.

What did I do and what's the fix?

thx
apfoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Kundalinguist

My first impulse is to say try unlocking the track itself from the right click menu.

Edit: that sounds like a muted item (is there a red "m" in there?). But if it plays...then that makes no sense.

Edit 2:
It could also just be item coloring - again, in the right click menu. If it plays, then it's not a problem. Just an eyesore, right?

Welcome home, son. Sit. Have some soup.

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 09-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
apfoll

Thx for the reply but that's not it. the part that is greyed out is further right on the screen. the actual midi data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1 copy.jpg (51.0 KB, 239 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfoll View Post
Thx for the reply but that's not it. the part that is greyed out is further right on the screen. the actual midi data.
One looks like an empty item. (top grey). It also looks like it's been colored - you find that control in the right click menu and it could be accidentally activated via key commands, too.

The item below it looks dark - as though it's been selected. Not sure if that one's the issue.

Just select all of your items (as in that screenshot) right-click and go to "items and take colors" and then set item to default color. That SHOULD fix it, if that's the issue.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
apfoll

Guess I'm not being very clear. Been left/right clicking, sifting through help pdf, etc. for several hours.

Here's a better picture - yes I had that piece selected in the first pic.

The "greyed out" sections won't play. No activity on the midi "meters" and absolutely no audio. Changing colors.... won't let me do it. remains "greyed out".

I'm sure its something simple I did while moving data around but I don't know what. the click track I made plays fine in the same beat/measures that the "greyed out" material won't play in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1 copy.jpg (32.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
apfoll

If you've read this far - forget it. I just deleted and reinsterted the midi file(s). Sure would have liked to know what I need and how to fix it but I was way past the point of dimishing returns on that problem.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
hopi

you might like to go into the Prefs and make visible on all media items, the little icons for info, notes, fx, lock and mute... it is possible you did something in your messing around that you did not realize and that your could not get an indication of... those icons will give you an indication of some things on each media item.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
chriscomfort

Quote:
If you've read this far - forget it. I just deleted and reinsterted the midi file(s). Sure would have liked to know what I need and how to fix it but I was way past the point of dimishing returns on that problem.
I totally empathize with you. I've put in some long hours just playing around in Reaper to try to get a handle on how it works differently than Cubase. I know you have moved on from this quandary, but what I found to help a lot was to activate all of the Media Item Icons, as described on pg 137-138 of the current PDF manual. By the way, I see what happened. Those thin red lines at the bottom of the 2 grey MIDI items are the item volume handles (pg139). It looks like you've pulled them all the way down to 0, and on MIDI items that zeros out the notes velocity, which is why you didn't see and activity.

Chris
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
apfoll

Enabling all the media item icons is a nice touch. Thx.

I was able to duplicate the conition with the Item Volume Handle after reading page 139. That was what I had done.

I've been around the forums enough to know that someone would spot something and since this forum is active it was only a matter of time. It's this kind of participation that makes a forum like this so valuable.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Enabling all the media item icons is a nice touch. Thx.

I was able to duplicate the conition with the Item Volume Handle after reading page 139. That was what I had done.

I've been around the forums enough to know that someone would spot something and since this forum is active it was only a matter of time. It's this kind of participation that makes a forum like this so valuable.

Thanks for the help.
AHA! I did that before, too, and was scratching my head over it. It didn't take very long to figure out though because I'm more settled in with Reaper.

As for diminishing returns, I find that if I solve a problem the first time then I won't have it again. I find my time troubleshooting a good investment to avoid future hassles.

In your OP you said "it's not muted" so I assumed it was audible. Had you said otherwise I would have likely suggested the handle...eventually.