Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #41
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Sorry for being insistent, but even channels with better visibility than, say channel 5 (which I showed above), present single events with a blurred color.

Look at channel 1 - Default map :

And even one of Gofer´s maps, which has quite brilliant colors, shows velocities in a rather dimmed fashion :

Again, excuse me for repeating myself again and again, but if you have a really contrasting color for selected events (as in selected velocities up to dev0505), you can have unselected events which are themselves quite visible. In this way, unselected ones are rather blurred and selected ones are as they should be when unselected... (a rather convoluted sentence, but I hope to make myself clear)
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #42
daxliniere

Default ARA2 issue

If a track is hidden in the TCP, Melodyne ARA doesn't scan the file (the instance comes up blank.)
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #43
daxliniere

Default Melodyne auto-position issue

Just noticed the undo history gets incorrection information during REAPER's auto-positioning of Melodyne to the first FX slot.

The last FX name is mentioned in the undo history instead of "Melodyne"

Attached Images
File Type: gif REAPER_BUG_MelodyneAutoPosition.gif (41.3 KB, 536 views)
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #44
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post

And even one of Gofer´s maps, which has quite brilliant colors, shows velocities in a rather dimmed fashion :
I noticed and mentioned this too, gofer said it could be handled in the color map if I understand correctly:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....85#post2130385

But agreed, should be improved with default color map at least.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I noticed and mentioned this too, gofer said it could be handled in the color map if I understand correctly:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....85#post2130385

But agreed, should be improved with default color map at least.
That workaround doesn't work with 0506 .

It was based on the observation that 0505 used the uppermost rows of the colormap's unselected and selected areas for velocity events and Reaper never uses both of these rows for anything else (at least on my 1920x1080 monitor... I made them glaring white and tried all kinds of zoom/scroll values. Never saw any white except on the velocity events during the tests).
That was pretty cool, because it was effectively like having rows in the colormap dedicated to velocity events colors.

This changed with 0506. I think it now uses the border color (bottommost row) for selected velocity/CC (that's fine with my map but for sure not with all others) and the row in the middle of the unselected area for unselected events (row 32 - not so neat with my map but probably okay for others). The good part is that velocities and CC get the same colors.
The bad part is that it took away the ability to tweak unselected events, as the middle row will very likely show up on the actual note (it depends on vertical zoom). To improve unselected velocities and CC I will have to redo the entire unselected area of the colormap, if the method stays like this.

I much preferred the way 0505 did it, as it allowed themers to optimize the velocity event colors without messing up the optics of note events. I was about to ask Cockos to use the same method for CC events, or even better to add two rows to the MIDI colormaps which could be used for both, velocity and CC events.

I also preferred the thinner selected velocity "sticks" from 0505 as well as unselected CC with a not-filled circle from earlier versions.

Last edited by gofer; 05-07-2019 at 08:37 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
If a track is hidden in the TCP, Melodyne ARA doesn't scan the file (the instance comes up blank.)
I think it scans the file, but doesn't display it. If you show the track list in Melodyne, you can select the track there and it will appear in the editor.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
cubic13

Sorry to disturb the discussion, but I have a serious issue, here, trying to make the two last +dev versions work. More explanations in this thread : if someone has an idea about what is happening...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #48
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I much preferred the way 0505 did it
I can't see my CC data or velocities at all they are the same color as the background of the CC lane. Also my velocity colors are grey now instead of the same gradient I set up for velocity note colors. Not sure how to get this back to normal. Any thoughts?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #49
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
That workaround doesn't work with 0506 .

It was based on the observation that 0505 used the uppermost rows of the colormap's unselected and selected areas for velocity events and Reaper never uses both of these rows for anything else (at least on my 1920x1080 monitor... I made them glaring white and tried all kinds of zoom/scroll values. Never saw any white except on the velocity events during the tests).
That was pretty cool, because it was effectively like having rows in the colormap dedicated to velocity events colors.

This changed with 0506. I think it now uses the border color (bottommost row) for selected velocity/CC (that's fine with my map but for sure not with all others) and the row in the middle of the unselected area for unselected events (row 32 - not so neat with my map but probably okay for others). The good part is that velocities and CC get the same colors.
The bad part is that it took away the ability to tweak unselected events, as the middle row will very likely show up on the actual note (it depends on vertical zoom). To improve unselected velocities and CC I will have to redo the entire unselected area of the colormap, if the method stays like this.

I much preferred the way 0505 did it, as it allowed themers to optimize the velocity event colors without messing up the optics of note events. I was about to ask Cockos to use the same method for CC events, or even better to add two rows to the MIDI colormaps which could be used for both, velocity and CC events.

I also preferred the thinner selected velocity "sticks" from 0505 as well as unselected CC with a not-filled circle from earlier versions.
I think previously one part of the code was using colormap row 64 for unselected events, and the other was using 32, so we made them both 32 for consistency. But I think this can just as easily be 64, if that's preferable.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #50
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I think they should just always be linked by default. ED what do you think?
Yep, just always linked.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #51
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
How are the CC colors selected when in
* Pitch or Velocity mode, and
To answer my own question: they seem to follow channel color, which is good, since it squeezes more useful information into the display (and was a Feature Request before).
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote