Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
georgemarauder
Human being with feelings

Default Opening Maschine in Reaper?

Hello all! I have a newbie question. I would like to use Reaper with my new Maschine Studio and software. All I want to be able to do is sequence everything and do everything in Maschine, but I want to record audio from my audio interface in Reaper in time with the sequenced track in Maschine. Can someone explain how I do this exactly? This seems complicated so I'd really appreciate a simple how-to step by step. Thanks in advance!
georgemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
georgemarauder

I've got Maschine 2 open in Reaper but the transport controls on my Maschine Studio no longer work. As I said, I'd like to do everything in Maschine 2, edit, arrange, etc., yet have Reaper sync to it so I can record audio tracks from my interface into Reaper to add to the total track.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Try my templates. I've got Maschine working seamlessly in Reaper, to where I can record into Maschine or Reaper, even with note repeat, without ever using MIDI mode. Tell me what you think in the thread if you do (good or bad).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950

Transport controls are enabled in the NI Controller Editor, but the implementation sucks, as it removes function of the erase button.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
georgemarauder

I tried using them but I don't want all those outputs in Reaper. I just want to do everything in Maschine and just use Reaper for audio tracks. Also, the transport controls don't work with your layouts unfortunately. I want to still be able to edit Events and do everything in Maschine, just keep Reaper there for audio tracks from my audio interface. I seem to be missing something here.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemarauder View Post
Also, the transport controls don't work with your layouts unfortunately.
Like I said, NI Controller Editor is where you deal with that. Separate thing. It's a pretty worthless function though, I think you'll eventually realize.

How exactly do you want Maschine routed in Reaper? If you describe to me exactly what you want, I can probably help you.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Like I said, NI Controller Editor is where you deal with that. Separate thing. It's a pretty worthless function though, I think you'll eventually realize.

How exactly do you want Maschine routed in Reaper? If you describe to me exactly what you want, I can probably help you.
Awesome!

So ideally, I just want full Maschine functioning, i.e. everything done in Maschine 2 - sequencing, sampling, slicing, etc.. All I want Reaper to do is record audio tracks from my interface "in-time" with my song in Maschine. So I would only need Reaper for an audio track or two. What I'd like to do which I think is most plausible, is import the track when it's finished into Reaper so that the audio tracks match up with the imported .wav, if that makes sense. I just want Reaper to record synth parts from my Moog synthesizer.

So really I just need a simple setup. I don't want to do anything else in Reaper as I like Maschine 2 and how it operates.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
foxAsteria

Ok, so you can just load the plugin on a track in Reaper then. If you want to eventually record the audio of Maschine just set the track to record audio output.

But remember if you enable transport control in Controller Editor you lose erase function. Who one knows why NI decided to implement it that way.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ok, so you can just load the plugin on a track in Reaper then. If you want to eventually record the audio of Maschine just set the track to record audio output.

But remember if you enable transport control in Controller Editor you lose erase function. Who one knows why NI decided to implement it that way.
I seem to lose Events too, is there a workaround around that?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
I seem to lose Events too, is there a workaround around that?
care to elaborate?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
georgemarauder

I can't remember how to enable transport mode, can you elaborate on how to do that again?

And last time I tried, the Events button didn't work, but I'll try it again after you tell me how to enable the proper recording mode on Maschine.

And how do I record in Reaper? If I press Play on Reaper will the track arrangement play on the Maschine? I don't want to lose Ideas Mode because that's how I start my arrangements. If I lose the Play button on Maschine then how can I preview my patterns in Idea Mode?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
foxAsteria

Quote:
I can't remember how to enable transport mode, can you elaborate on how to do that again?

Everything should work as normal in Maschine except that Reaper controls the playback and tempo. Host transport is nothing but a convenience that cripples the Maschine workflow. That's why I don't suggest it. You can click play with your mouse keyboard or another MIDI controller. Otherwise you give up some buttons to control playback from Maschine. Your choice.

Recording MIDI into Reaper is more complicated, which is why I made the templates. You can study the Maschine routing there if you want to see how to set it up. Recording Audio from Maschine is easy; just right click the track arm button for the "Record: output" options.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
georgemarauder

So far I've been recording my synthesizer in Audacity and exporting it as a sample/.wav into Maschine to trigger it. It's definitely not ideal but it's the best I've got so far if i want to use my synth. I suppose I can accomplish the same thing with Audacity that I can with Reaper, just record audio from my interface and let that be that.

How does Reaper handle the Maschine arrangement? If I arrange a track in Maschine will it play along in Reaper to the tempo? And then I can record the audio parts that way so they line up with my arrangement in Song Mode?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Just work as normal in Maschine. If you want to record tracks in Reaper along side it, no problem. Reaper doesn't care what Maschine is doing, but as plugin it stays in tempo.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
georgemarauder

fox, How do I output the final track as a .wav with both the Maschine audio and Reaper audio tracks recorded?
Old 05-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
foxAsteria

File menu>render