Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.976rc1 - May 2 2019

v5.976rc1 - May 2 2019
+ Automation items: copying AIs copies extension state [p=2128744]
+ MIDI: fix diamonds/triangles peak view for very low numbered MIDI notes [t=220319]
+ Media explorer: improve performance with large databases [t=220351]
+ Mousewheel: add undo points when changing track volume/pan/width via mousewheel [t=190260]
+ Project bay: always display position/length in time for time-based media, beats for beat-based media
+ Project bay: fix automation-item related crash [p=2128917]
+ ReaScript: SetEnvelopeStateChunk() updates envelope panels [t=220308]
+ Stretch markers: permit adding markers on audioless video items [t=220352]
+ Track panels: fix potential crash when renaming tracks and SWS auto-layout is used [t=220400]
+ Transport: improve jump to marker/region menu [t=220350]
# Media explorer: add handler for "Media Explorer > Create new database..." menu item

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
EpicSounds

# Media explorer: add handler for "Media Explorer > Create new database..." menu item

does this mean making a database from search results?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post

does this mean making a database from search results?

It's just the existing action to create a new file database, which previously worked fine when called from the context menu, but nothing would happen when called from the top-line menu.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
drew
Mobile

Aww.. sad those beautiful MIDI 'square envelope' velocity/CC triangles & soft lines extending the length of the note didn't make it into this rc. They were really nice, so I hope they're just being primed for primetime rather than disappearing!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Aww.. sad those beautiful MIDI 'square envelope' velocity/CC triangles & soft lines extending the length of the note didn't make it into this rc. They were really nice, so I hope they're just being primed for primetime rather than disappearing!
I guess, they are simply not finished yet, so they probably return in a later release.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

5.976 is coming quick mostly because of this one:
Quote:
+ Project bay: fix automation-item related crash [p=2128917]
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
tack

I just noticed Justin's post odometer is about to roll over to 12k. Hope it's a good one
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
deeb

Consider this 2 for media explorer;

1) An Option like this:

so that the search results are not dependent of the show leading paths option

like it happens here:

2) Option for showing full path in the bottom of media explorer
(The option should be in options menu and not in this one tho coff coff)

Last edited by deeb; 05-02-2019 at 07:40 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
EpicSounds

nice ideas, wrong forum
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
+1 !
IMHO it's very bad and impolite habit to abuse this prerelease forum - that explicitly is dedicated to testing new existing but unreleasd software - for yet another unrelated feature request, while the nice people at Cockos do provide a dedicated place for this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #11
deeb

I'll quote Justin: ". If you have a suggestion DIRECTLY related to the behavior and/or scope of a new feature of the build in question, it is generally polite to post and discuss there."

I know scope is very abstract but what I did is based on this assumption that scoped requests can be useful. I made hundreds of requests and I posted this here because I consider they might be useful and in context.

Moderation is wise imo

Last edited by deeb; 05-03-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I'll quote Justin: ". If you have a suggestion DIRECTLY related to the behavior and/or scope of a new feature of the build in question, it is generally polite to post and discuss there."

I know scope is very abstract but what I did is based on this assumption that scoped requests can be useful. I made hundreds of requests and I posted this here because I consider they might be useful and in context.

Moderation is wise imo
What new feature is directly related to your FR? (side note: probably not worth suggesting FRs in RC threads, suggestions in RC threads should be really only about regressions).
Old 05-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #14
deeb

Obviously now I know you don't relate as useful but I thought taking care of this:
-Media explorer: add handler for "Media Explorer > Create new database..." menu and
- Media explorer: improve performance with large databases

Would be an effort to improve small things in ME like what I suggested. Maybe I am wrong!
Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Obviously now I know you don't relate as useful but I thought taking care of this:
-Media explorer: add handler for "Media Explorer > Create new database..." menu and
- Media explorer: improve performance with large databases

Would be an effort to improve small things in ME like what I suggested. Maybe I am wrong!
Yeah the comment was more than things are directly related (if we add a function, and it doesn't work, or doesn't work right, or already exists, etc), not just in the same ballpark... but anyway no big deal
Old 05-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
Edgemeal

After upgrading from v5.974, Amplitube 4 now makes an amp switched-on noise when set to certain amps even without any media on the track. Selecting the default bass amp (IIRC is in free version also) makes the noise at the start of playback/render, RPP attached.

To fix it I toggled the fx settings, seems just toggling the 'hard reset' option (on - off - on) and restarting REAPER fixes it. I noticed REAPER added this to my 'reaper-fxoptions.ini' file,

Code:
[safemode]
AmpliTube 4.vst3=0
If I remove that from the file the noise comes back in v5.975/76 but older versions don't make any noise. Just thought I'd report it in case its a deeper problem.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 05-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
After upgrading from v5.974, Amplitube 4 now makes an amp switched-on noise when set to certain amps even without any media on the track. Selecting the default bass amp (IIRC is in free version also) makes the noise at the start of playback/render, RPP attached.

To fix it I toggled the fx settings, seems just toggling the 'hard reset' option (on - off - on) and restarting REAPER fixes it. I noticed REAPER added this to my 'reaper-fxoptions.ini' file,

Code:
[safemode]
AmpliTube 4.vst3=0
If I remove that from the file the noise comes back in v5.975/76 but older versions don't make any noise. Just thought I'd report it in case its a deeper problem.
If the hard reset option was not manually set for that plug-in, 5.974+ autodetect whether soft-reset (setProcessing()) is supported, and use it if it appears to be. So apparently AmpliTube 4 claims to support setProcessing() but doesn't work well with it (so enabling hard reset for it would fix the issue).
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If the hard reset option was not manually set for that plug-in, 5.974+ autodetect whether soft-reset (setProcessing()) is supported, and use it if it appears to be. So apparently AmpliTube 4 claims to support setProcessing() but doesn't work well with it (so enabling hard reset for it would fix the issue).
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
One for the FX quirks workarounds?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I wonder if thats related to that glitch noise amplitube can cause when just clicking along the timeline
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #21
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I wonder if thats related to that glitch noise amplitube can cause when just clicking along the timeline

I see that too, but only in REAPER v5.975+ without the ini setting I mentioned above, and also only when certain amp sims are selected, for example the 'Default' amp in Amplitube 4 does not show this behavior,

Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #22
Edgemeal

Default Just a heads up for AmpliTube 4/5 users

Quote:
After upgrading from v5.974, Amplitube 4 now makes an amp switched-on noise...
Same issue with AmpliTube 5 with certain amps (e.g., Red Pig), REAPER shows the 'Hard Reset on playback' option is enabled, but I have to toggle it from on, to off, and back on again and then restart REAPER for it to take effect, after that no more issue.

My 'reaper-fxoptions.ini' file now has,..
Code:
[safemode]
AmpliTube 4.vst3=0
AmpliTube 5.vst3=0
Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is noticing loud bursts of sound when switching amps or hear/see a noise spike when starting playback on tracks that have AmpliTube 5 on them.

Win10 x64, REAPER v6.27 x64

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-18-2021 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Re-Word
Old 07-16-2022, 09:32 PM   #23
Edgemeal

Starting with v6.37 I'm getting noise on start of playback with AmpliTube 4 & 5 (VST3) with certain amps again (like Red Pig), can only guess it has something to do with this change,
v6.37 - October 12 2021
+ FX pin connector: support configuring requested VST3 bus size

I'll remove these plugin entries from 'fxoptions.ini' [safemode] so they are back to using the defaults and will just use a volume env set to -inf & disable reverb/echos for first bar or something as needed.

Win10 x64
Old 07-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #24
Edgemeal

Hmmm, this is wild, playing with v6.64+dev0717 with the auto-bypass/silence detection stuff enabled it actually fixes this noise since I never have media at the very start of project and so with amp plugins in idle mode there is no noise on start of playback!
Old 07-18-2022, 02:21 AM   #25
vitalker

Are you sure it is a thread you wanted to post to?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #26
nofish

Quote:
Hmmm, this is wild, playing with v6.64+dev0717 with the auto-bypass/silence detection stuff enabled it actually fixes this noise since I never have media at the very start of project and so with amp plugins in idle mode there is no noise on start of playback!
Only semi related (and not to recent development), but for some plugins that do strange/undesired things on playback start for me helped: Compatibility settings > untick 'Hard reset on playback start'.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:39 AM   #27
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Only semi related (and not to recent development), but for some plugins that do strange/undesired things on playback start for me helped: Compatibility settings > untick 'Hard reset on playback start'.
Ya, I tried every setting there is, nothing helped get rid of that noise in v6.37 - v6.64.

EDIT: The noise isn't as bad tho, if dB from amp is a bit too loud I found it best to lower the amp instead of the track volume to get least noise.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 08-07-2022 at 05:43 AM.