Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default track becomes quieter (decibels fall by 2db) when MONO

sorry i meant the whole song, not a specific track

can you please explain why this happens?

song becomes quieter (decibels fall by 2db) when i press MONO on the master.

is this always the case? or can a song become louder when MONO? and why would that happen

thanks
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
domzy

perhaps this is due to Pan Law - what are your settings? (right click the pan slider for options)
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Pan Law settings won't affect this.

There is, however, a sort of "pan law" built into the Mono button. It mixes the two channels together and then divides by two (6db attenuation) and then puts that out on both channels. If the material was 100% corellated on both channels (dual mono already) to begin, there would be no noticeable change because it would be (1 + 1) / 2 = 1. In a real stereo signal, especially a full mix, the two channels are obviously not perfectly correlated, so when summed together they won't end up exactly twice as loud, so the compensation in the process is "too much". The middle panned elements of the mix should actually stay exactly where they are, with the side elements seeming to be slightly attenuated.

If it is actually noticeable and makes the track sound really different, well that's exactly why you're checking in mono. It indicates that you're doing something that isn't translating properly. I'd bet dollars it's some fancy phase fuckery super stereoizer or m/s mindgames that you should hope disappears completely in mono cause if it doesn't, whatever's left will sound really stupid.

I've never actually noticed this on the meters, but it makes sense. It's not hurting anything and you really shouldn't worry about it. That button is after all the track FX, so it's not changing how they work, and you shouldn't be trying to set your final distribution levels while also checking Mono compatibility.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
read

yes pan law seems to be fine as the other options just make it worse
its currently on L+R

yes, elements that are in Stereo are said to dissappear sometimes in Mono so i guess it makes sense to lower in volume in MONO
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I was gonna say the same thing...pan laws. I never experience this and I think I'm using defaults for pan laws.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

I'm going to say again that pan law per se has nothing to do with it. The Mono button on the Master doesn't know or care what pan law is being used on any given track. It has two channels of the master mix. That mix itself could be a combination of any number of tracks with any number of different pan laws. Those laws will impact the mix itself, but they will not change the way that mix folds down to mono.

The Mono button divides the sum of the two channels in half, but the two channels don't add up to double, so the total is less than unity. That is exactly all that is happening here.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote