Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Mr. Green
Human being with feelings

Default "Doubleclicking items - Sets time selection..." has an issue

So I use the "Doubleclicking items - Sets time selection..." quite a bit to quickly set the timeline for renders, copy selections and whatnot. But when I doubleclick one item on one side of a continuous set of items, then hold shift and doubleclick an item on the other side of the set to expand the timeline selection, it refuses and asks what editor I'd like to open the first item in.

I was going to report this as a bug, but upon reviewing the full name of the menu selection in the preferences, "Doubleclicking items - Sets time selection to item (shift toggles)", I'm fearful this might actually be some kind of feature.

So... if there's no way for me to disable that "toggle" feature, how do I quickly expand the timeline selection to extend to the boundaries of another item?
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
AdamWathan

Try CTRL maybe? Posting from phone otherwise would confirm myself...
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Mr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Try CTRL maybe? Posting from phone otherwise would confirm myself...
Honestly, I tried every key modifier I could think of, CTRL included.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green View Post

So... if there's no way for me to disable that "toggle" feature, how do I quickly expand the timeline selection to extend to the boundaries of another item?
Yeah it is annoying. I would like that too.

I get around it by shift-clicking just to the right of the last item. You need the edit cursor at the start of the time selection though, I always do cause I set the pref that way. Also you may have to adjust your snap settings possibly, but it always works here.

(not clicking on the item edge itself though, which is how it should work imo)
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Mr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Yeah it is annoying. I would like that too.

I get around it by shift-clicking just to the right of the last item. You need the edit cursor at the start of the time selection though, I always do cause I set the pref that way. Also you may have to adjust your snap settings possibly, but it always works here.

(not clicking on the item edge itself though, which is how it should work imo)
Well... ok. That's kind of what I end up doing as well. Except for those moments when it HAS to be sample accurate (like reducing the length of a mix for radio or something), and I remember that oddball "O" action key that sets the time selection to the items selected, which seems so unnecessary to me now that I'm thinking about it because all you really need is to have a -shift- key that functions like one would expect it to. I mean, there's actually a "right-click, open in editor" command when right-clicking an item, so why in the world is there no choice to turn this thing off? I would venture to guess that holding shift and double-clicking elsewhere to extend the time selection would be an extremely useful function for Reaper users, especially since the -shift- key is already used this way for item selection, point selection, track selection etc...