Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
masten
Human being with feelings

Default Using IEM system to create wireless headphone system in studio

Hi

I'd like to use an IEM system like this:

https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series...4qvii6bjnfb292

but use a regular pair of headphones (I have samson sr850) instead of earbuds - so I can move around my studio without getting caught on wires.

Few questions

1. Would I be able to use the phones output on my steinberg ur22 to drive the IEM system? Can't use line outs as going to monitors.

2. This might sound daft but bear with me: I dont want to be cippling things to my belt and have wires hanging down my back, I just want to pick up the headphones and go so would it be feasible to clip the IEM receiver to the 2 struts of the headphones (using the belt clips and maybe a bit of tape or something) so it sits on top and then wrap the headphones wires up with the headphones (or cut the wire to shorten it for less mess) Might look daft but no-ones gonna see - it's just for at home.

Please note I only need this to practice my live act at home (singing, guitar, beat buddy) which go through my audio interface and into the headphones, and make the odd rough demo in Reaper. My main aim is to be able to enjoy myself and get a reasonable sound through the headphones. Wires completely ruin my enjoyment,

Just to save time please note I do not want to use wired headphones. I know they're better but being able to move around free is super important to me hence why I'm trying to find a hassle free solution to this (I already have an xvive u2 wireless system for my guitar which is great - just gotta lose the headphone wire now)

Thanks

Masten
masten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #2
Reno.thestraws

sure you can plug an headphones in the receiver instead of IE

but

1)those cheap transmitter receiver are noisy. I mean, very noisy and the bandwidth is limited.

it's good for live monitoring when the stage is noisy and you just have to hear what you play but it's not a great listening experience

I use IEM a lot as musician or FOH mixer for bands and maybe it's a good idea to buy some higher budget systems

2) make sure the bandwidth is permitted in your country. Some bands are free, some are forbidden and others are under licence. You have to check. Some manufacturers have multiple version with specifies bands.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
masten

Hi there

Ok thanks. Yeah the reason Im looking at this is cos I just bought a steelseries arctis 7 digital wireless headphone set that has 16ms latency. Tbh it's really good. Theres no noise as its lossless digital and the latency is unoticeable to me.Sound quality is great too and hifi quality. Great bass, mids and highs. Only thing though is its closed backed so very punchy and hence difficult to judge the sound.(Samson's are open backed) in relation to my studio monitors.

Hence I'm wondering if the rf system above would be better as I can then just carry on using my open backed reference headphones which I'm used to - though if noise is as bad as you say and also bandwidth isn't good then maybe that would negate any positives of being able to use a reference quality headphone?

What do you think? Try the rf system as well? (a lot of hassle ordering, getting all the cables, testing etc.) or do you think it's best just sticking with the arctis 7 which tbh is pretty good in most respects.

The above system is my max budget really so cant afford a higher spec one

Many thanks, all advice much appreciated

Last edited by masten; 04-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

I didn't see a price on that thing you linked, and google turned up nothing.

What I did was to buy an FM transmitter meant for tour guides.
https://www.amazon.com/Retekess-Port...gateway&sr=8-8

Along with a set of little radios.
https://www.amazon.com/Retekess-HRD-...ateway&sr=8-34
You'd only need one of those for a receiver of course, so you'd have to look around a little.

The earbuds that came with the radios are horrible - focused on the midrange which probably helps voice intelligibility in a noisy tour environment, but useless for music. Plug in any decent headphones, though, and it's fine. There can be some noise, but as long as you're not too far from the transmitter, it's just kind of annoying rather than unusable. I use them in the studio and a couple times setting up for live recordings so that I could hear what was happening as I moved mics on stage. Not at all good enough for mixing, but perfectly acceptable for tracking.

If you're really on a tight budget, they sell those transmitters meant to send to your car stereo when you don't have an aux hole for pretty cheap. I haven't tried one for this application. It might not have enough range to do you any good, but maybe you could figure out a decent placement that covers most of your space reasonably well.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
cyrano

If these things work for you, depends a lot on where you are.

If you're out in the country, with no RF in the vicinity, all of these work quite well. If you're in a city with lots of Wifi and other transmitters around, some won't work.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
masten

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice. In the end I stuck with the Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless which, once I got used to the closed back, is awesome