Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Sonic Vampire
Human being with feelings

Default real time mp3 plugin

would any one use something like this.

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plu.../pro-codec.htm

I think it would be really cool if reaper could put the lame encoder as a plugin on the master buss so we could tweak mixes to make them sound as good as possible as mp3s since that is the format that most music gets listened to these days. I am too lazy/busy to bother bouncing, importing, listening, tweaking (repeat) to a bunch of mp3s.
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
I am too lazy/busy to bother
I am sure most developers capable of doing that kind of a plugin also feel that way about doing such a plugin, unless they were reasonably certain they can ask the price Sonnox is asking...

I don't think the code required to do that kind of a plugin is very hard to do, but the work might be a bit boring and time consuming, so no developer has done a free or cheap plugin yet...

Agreed anyway it would be nice if Reaper provided this...
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Boray

Clever idea!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
skmando

+1. Would be a very handy tool.
skmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
ThePriest

Very interesting...
ThePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Sonic Vampire

bump
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
chip mcdonald

Ahem (cough)...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ht=fraunhoffer
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
James HE

hmm...

you could almost do this with convolution right? Like load up some "Mp3 artifact" impulse into Reaverb and mix into that. Not sure how you'd make that impulse however, I've only made impulses from real spaces.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
hmm...

you could almost do this with convolution right? Like load up some "Mp3 artifact" impulse into Reaverb and mix into that. Not sure how you'd make that impulse however, I've only made impulses from real spaces.
Erm, no
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Erm, no
OK humor me.

I can download some impulse that was made from some vintage hardware box, and put that on my master buss. I could even make it sound like I was listening to my mix from a 4 x 12 guitar cabinet. How close it sounds to the actual thing in irrelevant here, I am speaking theoretically. So why not the effects of MP3 encoding?

Now, I know that Mp3's are often recorded at variable rates, which is something that convolution could never approach as it is program dependent. But again, theoretically, simply rendering a sine sweep test tone to MP3, (then back to wav) and generating an impulse from that would certainly get close to the frequency response.

yes?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
James HE

Ha ha I've got an even better idea. :P

If you plug a pair of head phones into mic pres, you've got yourself a really crappy pair of mics. so you do that with a pair of in ear monitors, put them in your ear, then cram the earbuds that came with your ipod into your ear as well (depending on the size of your head/ears, this may require duct tape) play back the mp3 encoded sine sweep through your ipod (probably on the bass boost eq setting) make sure that it is so loud that it distorts and hurts a little. Record the result with the in-ear monitor / microphones. Deconvolve that...

Presto! you have an impulse that will model how 90% of your audience will be hearing your music! If you can make it sound good through that you are a genius my friend!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
OK humor me.

I can download some impulse that was made from some vintage hardware box, and put that on my master buss. I could even make it sound like I was listening to my mix from a 4 x 12 guitar cabinet. How close it sounds to the actual thing in irrelevant here, I am speaking theoretically. So why not the effects of MP3 encoding?

Now, I know that Mp3's are often recorded at variable rates, which is something that convolution could never approach as it is program dependent. But again, theoretically, simply rendering a sine sweep test tone to MP3, (then back to wav) and generating an impulse from that would certainly get close to the frequency response.

yes?
No, it would not work that way. Mp3 manipulates frequency content dynamically (even if it's constant bitrate encoding), whereas convolution is a static process.

I doubt even an approximation could be achieved with convolution. (Evident from how at low bitrates the mp3 encoded signal starts having artifacts that a simple convolution could not add to the signal.)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Sonic Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I am sure most developers capable of doing that kind of a plugin also feel that way about doing such a plugin, unless they were reasonably certain they can ask the price Sonnox is asking...

I don't think the code required to do that kind of a plugin is very hard to do, but the work might be a bit boring and time consuming, so no developer has done a free or cheap plugin yet...

Agreed anyway it would be nice if Reaper provided this...
for someone who knows how, would it take much just to make a basic plugin that access's the lame encoder that is in our reaper folder? one instance, none of the fancy stuff that comes with the sonnox plugin. if you want to audition different rates you open another plugin and bypass the other one.

or is this something that would be easy for cockos to implement as part of the system
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
or is this something that would be easy for cockos to implement as part of the system
For developers at the skill level of the Cockos developers, I think doing this kind of a plugin for Reaper would take just a few hours...
Old 03-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #15
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

this would be hugely useful, clearly mastering engineers worldwide use the sonnos ripoff, and yes it is so primitive i could probably imitate it just by doing a online render in reaper and tap into the encoder which would be encoding in real time.

WAIT A MINUTE I HAVE A RIGHT NOW SOLUTION:

winamp will open an mp3 and play it while reaper is still rendering:

make a macro to start a online render to mp3, then the macro clicks on the mp3 so that winamp starts streaming to a second set of outputs (or set reaper to 'line1' of virtual audio cable or dummy out so winamp plays to your only 2 outputs)@! you can hear reaper adjustments while doing an online render, not faders but all vst plugins, presto!!!

i just made an mp3 just like this!@

now, id rather have the fraunhoffer II mp3 codec instead of lame now that the patent is off! im aw put in a feature request!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 AM   #16
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

the above streaming the sound of mp3 encoding (i use macro express to automate the winamp launch):
if The macro clicks on the MP3 file as quickly as possible after the stream button is held in reaper, that would be the latency, it probably would be as low as .25 second, still plenty enough to preview differences.

this works right now in reaper, no macro needed it just speeds up the flow.