Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
chammer
Human being with feelings

Default Routing to Vienna Ensemble MIDI Ports

Anybody knowledgeable about Vienna Ensemble/VE-Pro 5 MIDI ports, or just familiar enough with Reaper's routing to help me with the following problem? As the screenshots below show, I am only able to route MIDI tracks from Reaper to Vienna Ensemble's (as a multi-timbral plugging) 1st MIDI port ("VE Plugin MIDI in 1"). I am unable to successfully route to any other MIDI port in Vienna Ensemble. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.http:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot #1.jpg (22.7 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot #2.jpg (58.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot #3.jpg (22.8 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot #4.jpg (61.4 KB, 352 views)
chammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
paaltio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammer View Post
Anybody knowledgeable about Vienna Ensemble/VE-Pro 5 MIDI ports, or just familiar enough with Reaper's routing to help me with the following problem? As the screenshots below show, I am only able to route MIDI tracks from Reaper to Vienna Ensemble's (as a multi-timbral plugging) 1st MIDI port ("VE Plugin MIDI in 1"). I am unable to successfully route to any other MIDI port in Vienna Ensemble. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.http:
Until REAPER supports VST3, you can only send to one port per instance. There is a workaround in VE Pro, the Event Input plugin. But that only works properly if you disable anticipative FX in REAPER preferences.

Personally I would recommend just using a VE Pro instance for each port you need, and leaving anticipative FX on. It works the best for me. But this will bring the number of instances up very quickly with the side effect that REAPER takes a long time to start playback every time you press play (in my case it's about four seconds with 30 instances). There's currently no information either from Cockos or VSL as to what is causing the playback delay.
paaltio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
winknotes

paaltio,

What is the disadvantage of turning off 'anticipate FX'? I was using the event input plugin a while back and none of the midi tracks associated routed to that track would play or produce sound. I'm guessing this option is why?

I think for VEPRo it's important to have one instance if you're using MIR so everything is on the same stage.
winknotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
paaltio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winknotes View Post
paaltio,

What is the disadvantage of turning off 'anticipate FX'? I was using the event input plugin a while back and none of the midi tracks associated routed to that track would play or produce sound. I'm guessing this option is why?

I think for VEPRo it's important to have one instance if you're using MIR so everything is on the same stage.
Anticipative FX allows REAPER to function on low latency with a much larger session than without. It's a similar concept to how Logic renders non-realtime (e.g. not rec-armed) tracks with a larger buffer. And something Steinberg failed to do with Cubase's new ASIO Guard for some reason with multitimbral instruments.

However, VSL actually recommends disabling all prerendering functionality regardless of the DAW, so in that way my suggestion is "wrong". But I've benchmarked this and a session with 30 single instances of VE Pro running on REAPER with anticipative FX on has much better performance (runs more instruments without dropouts) than a session with anticipative FX off and only four instances (by using Event Input). Of course the MIR consideration should come before that, so in your case I think disabling anticipative FX and using Event Input is the way to go.

I experienced the big playback delay in both sessions, so until Cockos or VSL fix the issue (devs: I can send a sample session), REAPER + VE Pro isn't a terribly good match to begin with, unfortunately. Really hoping that gets sorted out soon.
paaltio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
winknotes

Thank you for the thorough reply. It gives me some things to consider.
winknotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaltio View Post
Anticipative FX allows REAPER to function on low latency with a much larger session than without. It's a similar concept to how Logic renders non-realtime (e.g. not rec-armed) tracks with a larger buffer. And something Steinberg failed to do with Cubase's new ASIO Guard for some reason with multitimbral instruments.

However, VSL actually recommends disabling all prerendering functionality regardless of the DAW, so in that way my suggestion is "wrong". But I've benchmarked this and a session with 30 single instances of VE Pro running on REAPER with anticipative FX on has much better performance (runs more instruments without dropouts) than a session with anticipative FX off and only four instances (by using Event Input). Of course the MIR consideration should come before that, so in your case I think disabling anticipative FX and using Event Input is the way to go.

I experienced the big playback delay in both sessions, so until Cockos or VSL fix the issue (devs: I can send a sample session), REAPER + VE Pro isn't a terribly good match to begin with, unfortunately. Really hoping that gets sorted out soon.
Hello Paaltio,

I quit Logic Pro for Rear few month ago and I stil have lots of "Dropouts" even when I work with few tracks.
Do you have some advice ?

With Logic Pro I was use to have 80 Tracks with lots of plugins. So, I am a bit disappointed.

Thanks for help :-)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Arpegia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammer View Post
Hello Chammer,

do you have better performances nows ?