Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Dolfo91
Human being with feelings

Default Octophonic Output from Mono Source

Hi all,
I am currently working on an octophonic piece that should be reproduced with an octophonic system including eight speakers arranged in a clockwise circle. I'm using REAPER only to organize sound in time, to apply effects and to spatialize the final result. During the previous synthesis step, most of the sounds I have generated are monophonic or stereophonic. The issue that I have faced is that, even if I load a monophonic soundfile in an octophonic track (ch. 1-8) on REAPER, the output is not sent equally to all the eight channels but only to the fist two ones - it seems to have just been converted to stereophony. So, how should I operate to convert a monophony to octophony? Furthermore, how could I control the panning between all the 8 channels - for instance a monophonic sound that moves from channel 1 to 2 and then 3, etc.
Waiting for your replies, I thank you in advance.
Greetings.
Dolfo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Xenakios

Try the ReaSurround plugin (that is included in Reaper).
Old 04-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
plush2

You could also take a look at the Ambisonic ToolKit. It offers a bit more in the way of options but it is likely to be more of a learning curve than the ReaSurround plugin.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
Dolfo91

Thanks for the suggestions.
Really interesting is the JS plug-in for Ambisonics spatialization: the piece I'm working on uses this technique to spatialize several sound but, due to the fact that I actually didn't know about the existence of an external plug-in, I have used tMax/MSP to render an output soundfile already Ambisonics decoded.
Thanks again and greetings.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Dolfo91

Sorry for the double post.
I have also noticed that each effect loaded on a track has a "Pin Connector" interface and in the I/O one of all the tracks there is a "Audio Hardware Outputs" section. Can I use also one of these mentioned parameters also to route the signal to a defined channel? If yes, how?
Thanks in advance once more.