Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Tritone
Human being with feelings

Default Vienna Ensemble Pro Playback Problems

Reaper x64 under Windows 7 x64.
Load the 64 bit server and make a new instance. Make a VEP plugin in Reaper and connect to it. Hit play and you'll notice that there's a size able delay before Reaper responds.

Upon further investigation, on playback, you'll see that the VEP instance reports 'Engine stopped', then 'Engine Started' before playing. This, I believe is the source of the problem.

I've tried toggling anticipative FX, media buffering, minimal undo states, buggy plugin compatibility, run VSTi while stopped, jBridging, Reaper bridge, etc. and the behavior remains unchanged.

My workaround has been to load a bidule VST, place the VEP plugin inside of it and connect. The VEP engine no longer stops on playback.

Has anyone managed to make it work w/o a a workaround?
Tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
winknotes

I use VEPro with Reaper all the time and don't have the issue you described. There must be something else going on. I do believe I had to turn anticipative FX off to get it to work properly but I see you've tried that. I can't think of any more settings I've changed though.
winknotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by winknotes View Post
I use VEPro with Reaper all the time and don't have the issue you described. There must be something else going on. I do believe I had to turn anticipative FX off to get it to work properly but I see you've tried that. I can't think of any more settings I've changed though.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to go ahead and try that, and post my results.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Tritone

Unfortunately, it didn't have any impact on the problem.

I wonder what differs between our systems?

It exhibits the same behavior on both local and network servers.
Only happens after an instance is connected in VEP.
Using the most up-to-date version of Vienna 5.3.13240.
Doesn't happen in Cubase, or any other DAW.
Buffer amounts in the VEP VST don't impact matters.

Could I ask you what your MIDI ports, audio outputs and audio inputs are from your VEP server? Under, preferences > Instances > Connection settings.

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Tritone

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Rv5

Hi Tritone - have you had any luck with this?

I've noticed, that if you play just a selected midi track via the midi editor (midi take window) with "Sync editor transport to project transport" disabled, under 'options' in the midi take window, then Reaper does not cause VEP's engine to stop and start again. However if you have the option enabled, you get the delay.

Something about the project transport is telling VEP to reset its engine. So frustrating!
Rv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
crootnik

works fine here, but only after I purchased a brand spanking new Dell computer, 3 months ago, with increased RAM, i7 and increased hardrive.. sorry I can't be any help.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Rv5

Thanks for the reply - when you say after, do you mean you were having the same problem before the new computer?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
crootnik

yes, I was having issues within Reaper, with my Vienna Ensemble with the old computer...( I only had 4 gigs of Ram..i3 processor)... latency, etc...
Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

@crootnik - does that mean you don't have that issue anymore?

That would indicate that it's a setting in REAPER and a reset to factory defaults would fix this.

@OP: I think possible candidates for that setting could be for example...

- Unchecking all checkboxes in Preferences->Audio->MIDI Devices->"On stop/play"...

- Having "Run FX when stopped" checked in Preferences->Audio->Playback (and "Flush FX..." unchecked).

Last edited by Ollie; 10-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Rv5

Hi Ollie, many thanks for jumping in.

Crootnik, please can you confirm that the problem you had was this exact issue? Where there was a delay in playback analogous with the number of VEP instances loaded?

I've tried out as you suggested Ollie but the delay is still there. As per the email my set-up is such (tested locally on pc and mac); it's a full orchestral template so say I have per VEP instance:

flute solo
flute a2
oboe solo
oboea2
etc for the whole orchestral family (all winds, strings, brass and some percussion).

as I connect more instances, the delay from pressing play and the playhead moving/playback starts to get longer.

In the Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 program, once it is connected to Reaper the 'engine is started'. I've attached a picture that highlights this. When pressing play in Reaper, 'engine stopped' briefly displays here, then the engine starts again.

From pressing play, there is a sequential delay throughout the instruments. So the first instrument loaded, the 'engine stopped' will happen immediately, then the next instrument displays the message and so on, one at a time until the last instrument loaded before playback begins. Going through each instance results in a noticeable, unusable delay between pressing play, and playback beginning.

No other DAW does this, and running VEP locally on Mac, and separately on PC results in the same behaviour. Also checking/unchecking lots of the options has no effect.

Hope you can help! Any advice much appreciated or please let me know if you need any more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VEPex1HClose.jpg (53.9 KB, 480 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
Rv5

Found another user who had the same issue:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=129293
Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
crootnik

Sorry I was out for a bit, I've got guests in town and staying at the house. Real quickly, I had problems with latency, within the Reaper program and my VSL Harp. I am still very new to Reaper, and not exactly a real whiz at this DAW, with it's multiple options. Perhaps Cubase would have been a better fit for me, with it's plug and play work method ( or so I have heard from a buddy of mine who has it). I had Reaper already loaded up due to stems I was sending to and English producer. I was converting them with a program developed to convert Roland files to wav files.. and then I was using Reaper group my stems together. But I digress, I went with Reaper as my 1st DAW, for no other reason than I already had it.

I could get my virtual harp instrument to work as a stand alone with no problem, but simply could not get it to accept a lower latency setting in the VSL settings in my Reaper tracks... I was working with pretty much the standard default Reaper setting anyway, with very little changes.

So I purchased the new 'puter.. Mine was purchased back in 2009.. I was due anyway, so I went ahead with a new Dell. Loaded up my Reaper program and voila, no more issues with the VSL instrement.. nada..

I am the last guy to be able to explain it, and I'm sorry about that.. I'm freaking winging it here, and have much to learn and very little time to learn it, with my work schedule. Very sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Rv5

Hi Crootnik, thanks for the detailed reply - seems you had a few problems, though slightly different from this specific problem.

Ollie are you still around? I tried using the tool here:

http://www.hermannseib.com/pluginconsultant/

To have a look at the information Reaper is sending out but unfortunately can't get it to play with Reaper - are there any similar tools that would allow information sent from Reaper to be seen in the hope of identifying what's occuring here? Are you able to get feedback from developers about this issue? Would be so good to have it resolved. Many thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Rv5

Has anyone found a solution to this problem at all?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv5 View Post
Hi Ollie, many thanks for jumping in.

Crootnik, please can you confirm that the problem you had was this exact issue? Where there was a delay in playback analogous with the number of VEP instances loaded?

I've tried out as you suggested Ollie but the delay is still there. As per the email my set-up is such (tested locally on pc and mac); it's a full orchestral template so say I have per VEP instance:

flute solo
flute a2
oboe solo
oboea2
etc for the whole orchestral family (all winds, strings, brass and some percussion).

as I connect more instances, the delay from pressing play and the playhead moving/playback starts to get longer.

In the Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 program, once it is connected to Reaper the 'engine is started'. I've attached a picture that highlights this. When pressing play in Reaper, 'engine stopped' briefly displays here, then the engine starts again.

From pressing play, there is a sequential delay throughout the instruments. So the first instrument loaded, the 'engine stopped' will happen immediately, then the next instrument displays the message and so on, one at a time until the last instrument loaded before playback begins. Going through each instance results in a noticeable, unusable delay between pressing play, and playback beginning.

No other DAW does this, and running VEP locally on Mac, and separately on PC results in the same behaviour. Also checking/unchecking lots of the options has no effect.

Hope you can help! Any advice much appreciated or please let me know if you need any more info.
Sorry for interjecting, and this may be an idiotic question, but I thought VE Pro had its own interface? That looks like Kontakt 5 to me.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Sorry for interjecting, and this may be an idiotic question, but I thought VE Pro had its own interface? That looks like Kontakt 5 to me.
VEPro is a host for VSTi's such as Kontakt.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
Rv5

Yes exactly - Kotakt is running within Vienna Ensemble Pro there, the highlighted area shows the display of VEPs settings and engine, which Reaper re-sets upon pressing play. Times this by multiple instances and there is a delay.

When 'flush FX on stop' is activated, the same behaviour occurs upon stopping playback, suggesting that an option to not flush fx on start for this plug-in may solve the issue.

If anyone is interested it is now raised on the bug tracker, I think the more 'support' / people that have the same problem chime in, the more priority it gets in terms of a fix:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5532

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156637
Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria

I´ve just posted in the bug report a comment about a setting which, at least here, solves the playback delay problem. (I´ve tested it repeatedly with the same results) If anyone wants to try it out and tell if it had any success with it, read post #9 of this thread :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156559
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote