COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
afroide
Human being with feelings

Default How to add Swing using MIDI Quantize???

I'm trying to figure out how to add some swing to certain MIDI parts of percussion tracks and I'm a bit confused (VERY new to Reaper). I laid down a very simple rhythmn track to do some testing. I see how the quantization works, but I can't seem to make the 'swing' feature do anything that I can actually hear.

Does anyone have any insight into how this feature works / is applied?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Tallisman

there are 2 ways to do this. and both are undoable!

when you are recording the midi data to the track:

get to the quantize menu by right clicking the record arm icon (or use a hot key.

Then:

make sure that the quantize track midi recording is ticked. set the quantize grid and amounts. Note that you can enter any fraction in that box... (try quantizing to 1/24 and see). Swing, as you know, will move certain note - delay them a little: Swing = Amount or size of that move and the strength is, of the notes that meet the criteria, how many will be moved.

in the Midi Editor the swing dialogue has another nifty feature: All Events and Selected Events which applies the swing to errrmmm... all or selected events.

hope this helps
cheers

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
afroide

Thanks man, but that's not it. I've figured out how quantize itself works and can apply it just fine. The issue is I can't seem to make the 'swing' slider actually do anything that I can hear. In other words, it does not appear to affect all ready quantized notes. It also does not appear to affect the quantization of notes that are not all ready quantized.

Comparing this to something like the groove / swing features in Cubase, it seems apparent that it either works differently or I am using it wrong.

Last edited by afroide; 12-18-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
stratman

I set the strength to 100% and the swing to 67% to get what I think is a regular swing feel. But I'd be interested in other opinions of whether 67% is the correct value.

Also, see my posts on this thread at the link below (especially post #4).

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15775

On the above link I misunderstood the original question. But it's possible my posts might answer your question, or maybe I've misunderstood your question as well

Have you got 16th note rhythms in your pattern? If they’re slower, say 8th notes, then it might be worth trying lower values in the quantize window (e.g.1/8 instead of 1/16).

Post again if you're still having problems.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 12-18-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
afroide

I think part of the issue could be that I am attempting to apply swing to perfectly quantized notes - is swing supposed to affect notes that are not being moved as part of a quantize operation?

I lined up a bunch of hi-hats with a click track to test and could not hear any swing being applied. Unless, of course, I ramp up the swing percentage to 100% - then it just doubles the size of the midi note.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
stratman

Try putting in 16th hihats and then, to quantize the track, use exactly the same settings as I use in my attachment to post #4 at this link http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15775

You should hear a difference after clicking on OK. In my example I use a setting of 50%, which I think gives a slightly early (light) swing. I did some experiments and I think a setting of 67% gives a regular swing, but I'd be interested in other opinions.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 12-18-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
the all new rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Note that you can enter any fraction in that box... (try quantizing to 1/24 and see).
Well that's a surprise. I thank you for that tip.