Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
fiddler1
Human being with feelings

Default Happy with this... Pick it apart.. Please!

Link

http://soundcloud.com/fiddler1/eddies-tune

I know.. Drums are too "Stereo"

Gotta love this bass player....
fiddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Wolffman

Very nicely recorded !!

I know this is predominatly a piano oriented track but imho the piano is a bit to dominant.

Fantastic players btw, what are you playing ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
kindafishy

Agree with Wolff on everything.

I don't mind the super wide panned and wet drums here. I think they fit the piece. I do think that at some points they can come up a lot in the mix though because the pulse gets a little lost. This might be partially due to the piano being so hot in the mix though. Still, if the piano is brought down by a few dB, it may still serve how the song is presented well to bring the drums up some.

One thing I will say about the drums is that many rolls pull me over to the left, and that is a bit disconcerting at times, so perhaps more shift to the right would help.

The piano playing is superb. Just wonderful. I could listen to playing like this all day. All the playing is superb.

------------------------------------

Okay, on second listen, I've noticed that at some places the piano is just right and in others, it is too high in the mix. Same can be said of the drums. I think the best thing you can do with this mix is to go section by section through the song, and automate the levels of each section so that they are better leveled within the context of that part of the song.

Yup.

Other than that, this is perfect. Just automation for finishing touches.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
fiddler1

Default Thanks for the comments..

I am not playing on this... Project being done by a local drummer.. He actually brought in a different drummer to play on this. Piano player wrote the song.. I guess it is a little hot.. I play keyboards myself so I may be a little biased mix wise. Eddie is the piano player and he works with this bass player quite a bit. I will rework those drums.. I love working with people like this.. They dont have much cash, so they ended up recording with me in my home studio

Thanks

John
fiddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
James HE

Wanting just a touch more lowend in the bass, want to feel it a bit more - or maybe it's just you have the attack on a compressor a bit too fast, or the threshold too low the transients all seem so even, this almost sounds like a programed sample instrument.

bass sound is better in the solo, the attack feels right.

Drums are a bit too dry I think. I do like that dry snare, but the cymbals seem very low in the mix. needs air - needs room. playing is fantastic. I think if you give the drums, and the whole mix, a bit more "room" the wide panned drums would be nice in the mix.

I like that the piano is loud, just needs to get turned down a bit when the other instruments need to be featured.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote