Old 09-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default Good SAW Lead VST's

I've been looking (forever) for a really good Sawtooth that sounded robust, thick, and "wet". I've tried a bunch of plugins or Kontakt libraries, some were alright but I'm still not quite satisfied and open to suggestions.

I'm talking a thick-sounding saw lead that's almost like a distorted metal guitar, has that good girth and sustain, y'know ? Sounds dirty, a little industrial even.

Do you use any one specific preset on a VST, or do you have more broadly a VST with good such options ?
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Fergler

It's all about the filters and FX. Generate a saw wave with anything and go nuts. But for one interface, I really Charlatan for out of the box sound. Just add verb and delay
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
dave_t

I've been using synced oscillators a lot recently for lead sounds - Charlatan can do that. Adds a little dirt, sort of a vocal quality if you modulate the pitch of the synced oscillator, either by hand or with an envelope or LFO. And a high gain guitar sound can get close to a square wave, what with the top and bottom of the signal clipped off. $0.02
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
It's all about the filters and FX. Generate a saw wave with anything and go nuts. But for one interface, I really Charlatan for out of the box sound. Just add verb and delay
Well I may be wrong but I think the natural sound of the synth has to have that quality to it, that nice robust clear quality to it, then I'll add distortion or even a cab simulator myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aau2g5_ytSY

yeah, not bad, I actually like a couple of those sounds. Sometimes we get caught up with the fancier "high quality" VST's and it's the simple ones that sound best if you just process them a bit.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Dork Lard

like listen here at 4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIK-jg6Uo_I

That's a saw, or wtvr you'll call it but it's no actual guitar.

I don't currently have a VST powerful enough to produce that, even with good processing and a good plugin lineup.

What d'ya think ?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Reason

That's going to be a little different. Mick Gordon's process is pretty involved - he's an experienced pro and will have a number of tricks up his sleeve to get an interesting timbre. To say nothing of experimentation.

This is a good watch. Not a tutorial by any stretch, but very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

It's been a while since I watched it, but as I recall he was running sounds through 4 compressors in parallel or something, plus doing some other crazy stuff.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
That's going to be a little different. Mick Gordon's process is pretty involved - he's an experienced pro and will have a number of tricks up his sleeve to get an interesting timbre. To say nothing of experimentation.

It's been a while since I watched it, but as I recall he was running sounds through 4 compressors in parallel or something, plus doing some other crazy stuff.
oh, had no clue he ..."had a name". Thought surely he was just some youtuber who remixed the doom tracks with more punch.
That's a pretty fkng interesting video there, thanks for sharing. I'm 15min in but I'm going to watch the whole thing.

I'd LOVE to have that massive synth sound, where you're practically unsure if it's just a mere VST or a freakin 8 string amped up guitar.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
Dork Lard

Quote:

so thx again for this thing man, watched the whole thing, interesting and very insightful. Had NO clue so much went into such a track, damn.

Yeah so turns out that's all you need to create the saw/guitar tone:
https://imgshare.io/images/2019/09/24/Sans-titre.png

(with Pedal 1, Pedal 2, Pedal 3 etc... being tube screamers, distortions, phasers, all that stuff)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
nait

Quote:

I'm a big fan of the Doom soundtrack.. really cool. That's interesting to see how he created the sounds. To your comment, he's running it through a LOT of devices.. like 15 or so... some distortion pedals, an eq, several compressors, and other devices. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but that's a lot more than I expected!

I would think you can poor-man your way through it and construct a similar "array" with just effects VSTs rather than pedals. Wonder how that would sound.

Also, love how he snuck in some demonic symbols and other messaging into the music
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
I'm a big fan of the Doom soundtrack

+1 Mr Gordon,he gets nice stereo mix and projectile impacts etc....Boss!

Last edited by prom; 09-24-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Scratched a lower case b and replaced with capital on boss word.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote