Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
lb0
Human being with feelings

Default LBX SRD Smart Knobs script. Easily connect your midi controller to your plugins.

Hi All,

A collaboration between me and SRD who provided the impotus and ideas for this one.

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBX-SRD-Smart-Knobs

A simple idea for making your midi controller connect to specific parameters of whatever plugin has the focus.

So you simply focus a plugin - set up whatever parameters you like to control with your external controller, hit SAVE. Now whenever you focus an instance of that plugin - the midi controller always maps to the same parameters automatically.

To set up - simply create a track called __LBX_SKCTL. Note two underscores as with my stripper script.

Just like the Stripper script - simply add a LBX-Faderbox to this track. Assign your midi controller controls to the faderbox F1-32 parameters.

Then start the smart knobs script.

Then set up any and all plugins how you want them within the script - setting parameters to faders - hitting SAVE for each plugin when you're happy.

The 'L' button activates Learn mode. Simply click the controls in the plugin GUI in the order you want them in the list. I've noticed that it might not work until you have at least one param added - so I need to look into that.

Clicking on the plugin name activates Latch mode for the track the plugin is on.

Clicking REC button sets up the parameters for recording automation.

Last edited by lb0; 03-27-2018 at 03:30 PM.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
RJHollins

This looks very interesting ! Especially being an lb0 creation
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
This looks very interesting ! Especially being an lb0 creation
Thanks - not my idea though - but I did code it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Good idea, and that's how I currently use my controller, but how is this different from natively learning parameters and using the "Enable only when effect configuration focused" option? Does this script need to be running always for the assignments to work?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Good idea, and that's how I currently use my controller, but how is this different from natively learning parameters and using the "Enable only when effect configuration focused" option? Does this script need to be running always for the assignments to work?
I've never used that option (never spotted it ) - but I'm assuming because the script can pass feedback to the controller (at the moment - depends on controller type I think - but can be expanded to work more widely) - the controller if it has the ability can monitor the values of the parameters (if it has encoders etc).

There's also potential to expand this to populate scribble strips on the controller (although not implemented yet) based on parameter. This would probably need controller dependent implementation though.

Also - I think this is probably more immediate than using the built in learn option (but guessing as never used it like this).

But yes - script needs to run all the time to work.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Hmm well this is a bit of a tangent, but maybe it's something you've come across working on this...can you conceive of a way to force plugins to float momentarily while you're tweaking the parameter? The other native option when learning parameters is that the assignments are only active when the host track is selected, which works great for EQ (EQ controls always work on the selected track, without needing to focus/float them first), but in such a case it would still be great to get the instant visual feedback while turning knobs.

Also, the native learned parameters can be stored as default for past and future instances of the same plugin. It stores this based on the plugin name in the fx browser, so it breaks if you rename the plugin. How is yours storing the assignments? If it was based on dll name, which is less likely to change, that could improve on the current system.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #7
X-Raym

This look like another great idea and work ! Well done !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
lb0

Quote:
Hmm well this is a bit of a tangent, but maybe it's something you've come across working on this...can you conceive of a way to force plugins to float momentarily while you're tweaking the parameter? The other native option when learning parameters is that the assignments are only active when the host track is selected, which works great for EQ (EQ controls always work on the selected track, without needing to focus/float them first), but in such a case it would still be great to get the instant visual feedback while turning knobs.

Also, the native learned parameters can be stored as default for past and future instances of the same plugin. It stores this based on the plugin name in the fx browser, so it breaks if you rename the plugin. How is yours storing the assignments? If it was based on dll name, which is less likely to change, that could improve on the current system.
It would be easy to pop up the fx GUI whilst tweaking - but might be more taxing to get it to close when stopped tweaking - as it would need to know when you stopped tweaking and not just paused... maybe a timer or something. I'd be worried about plugins that take time to open/close 'cos they might pause the script - would need to test. Maybe needs to be plugin dependent option.

At the moment - fx seem to be identified by plugin name in fx browser - but the name is obtained from the chunk - so might be possible to change this as an option. (I say seem - I wrote this nearly a year ago - so refreshing my memory on it still).

EDIT: templates are stored in:

Reaper/Scripts/LBX/LBXSK_resources/templates/
Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
This look like another great idea and work ! Well done !
Thank you.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Ah yea good points. I do have a couple plugins that take a long time to load and probably wouldn't want that feature for them. Mostly just my EQs. And yea, a timer for when you've stopped tweaking (like 300ms or so) would make sense as well. It's encouraging that such a feature is possible, as it's been on my mind a long time...

I didn't realize you made this a year ago, so probably you're not still working on it. It appears to have been posted yesterday. Well anyhow, I have one more suggestion for your script that doesn't exist in the native system: Being able to scale the sensitivity of each parameter. With endless encoders, sometimes they are too sensitive and sometimes not enough, depending on the parameter they control. Being able to scale that, per parameter would be really nice I'd think.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 AM   #11
lb0

Quote:
Ah yea good points. I do have a couple plugins that take a long time to load and probably wouldn't want that feature for them. Mostly just my EQs. And yea, a timer for when you've stopped tweaking (like 300ms or so) would make sense as well. It's encouraging that such a feature is possible, as it's been on my mind a long time...

I didn't realize you made this a year ago, so probably you're not still working on it. It appears to have been posted yesterday. Well anyhow, I have one more suggestion for your script that doesn't exist in the native system: Being able to scale the sensitivity of each parameter. With endless encoders, sometimes they are too sensitive and sometimes not enough, depending on the parameter they control. Being able to scale that, per parameter would be really nice I'd think.
I did only make it public yesterday. It was made specifically for SRD - but he has kindly said he would be happy for it to be made available to everyone.

EDIT: So because it has just been released - I am open to suggestions
Old 03-28-2018, 04:35 AM   #12
X-Raym

@lb0
What about using Reapack to share your scripts ?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 AM   #13
lb0

Quote:
@lb0
What about using Reapack to share your scripts ?
Yes - eventually... - I've tried - never got it working. Had one script show up once - briefly - then it disappeared. It's absolutely user error I know - but I've not succeeded to get it to work yet and haven't had the time to spend on trying to work it out
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
JayJSE2

I think I suggested this for one of your other scripts, but actually, it would work better for this one (or at least something like this one), where specific controls (from a midi controller) are assigned keywords (like "gain" or "threshold") and then the script (automatically) maps those controls to the plugin controls of the same name on the plugin that's in focus.

It's a shame I don't have enough USB/midi ports to be able to try this out though, it looks amazing!
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
X-Raym

@lb0
We can discuss that on the Reapack thread if you want, cfillion and I can help you set up your repo

Setting a reapack repo isn't more complicated than the scripts you have done so far :P
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
lb0

Quote:
@lb0
We can discuss that on the Reapack thread if you want, cfillion and I can help you set up your repo

Setting a reapack repo isn't more complicated than the scripts you have done so far :P
Ok thanks - I'll have a bit more time hopefully to work on it over the next week or two - so prepare for some dumb questions over on the ReaPack thread soon
Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
lb0

Quote:
Being able to scale the sensitivity of each parameter. With endless encoders, sometimes they are too sensitive and sometimes not enough, depending on the parameter they control. Being able to scale that, per parameter would be really nice I'd think.
This is something I've thought about - but would be pretty difficult depending on how the encoder is set up. In absolute mode - probably the common mode - any changes in sensitivity would have to restrict the range the parameter could be adjusted - without being able to make it act like it was in relative mode by resetting the encoders position after any adjustment - this would probably depend on the controller and you would lose any sensible controller feedback.

In relative mode - more success could probably be had - but I've never got relative mode on any of my controllers to work with Reaper properly.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
foxAsteria

Ah cool, well for the most part I have all my encoders set as incremental pots, and they almost always work as it should if I use Relative 1 or Relative 3 when assigning the action. Setting the actual knobs to relative on the controller usually gives strange and unexpected results. But e.g. on my Maschine, the knob is set to relative and assigned as rel1 in Reaper and works great.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #19
lb0

Quote:
Ah cool, well for the most part I have all my encoders set as incremental pots, and they almost always work as it should if I use Relative 1 or Relative 3 when assigning the action. Setting the actual knobs to relative on the controller usually gives strange and unexpected results. But e.g. on my Maschine, the knob is set to relative and assigned as rel1 in Reaper and works great.
I only have novation automap controllers with encoders - which although can be switched to midi mode - the encoders seem to become absolute only. I've never found a way to switch them to something different.

I used to have a BCR2000 - but gave it to a mate years ago (wish I had it back now).
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Yea, using Novation Automap here as well. CC APOT on the controller , increment/decrement in Automap, assigned as rel1 or sometimes rel3 in Reaper works well. It's a lot of combinations for error, which still confuses me sometimes as well, but at this point I finally have it all set and forget.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #21
RJHollins

Maybe I can resurrect my Novation Nocturn ?!?!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
foxAsteria

Quote:
Maybe I can resurrect my Novation Nocturn ?!?!
why not? I'm still using remote 25sl from 10 years ago...you just gotta be sure to use the correct automap version for your product. there have been updates since mine became discontinued and the new versions create problems in my setup.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #23
lb0

Quote:
Yea, using Novation Automap here as well. CC APOT on the controller , increment/decrement in Automap, assigned as rel1 or sometimes rel3 in Reaper works well. It's a lot of combinations for error, which still confuses me sometimes as well, but at this point I finally have it all set and forget.
aha - well I've never had any luck and tried several times - and never seen CC APOT option (I generally use an Impulse keyboard, but do have an old SL remote mkI with a dodgy screen). I'll have to look again... Is this in midi mode - or Automap mode?

Anyway - how I set up the Impulse to with this script - Place LBX Faderbox inside ReaJS. Automap enable ReaJS, and then set up the F1-F32 faders in automap.

This works nicely. Of course you can easily change the sensitivity within automap of the encoders - but it would be nicer to change sensitivity in the script - I know...

I want to be able to populate the Scribble strips on the Remote SL (when the screen works - which is half the time). As far as I know it's just sending SYSX - and I have a way in my head how to get the faderbox to send the SYSX data - but it's all theory so far.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:42 AM   #24
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Is this in midi mode - or Automap mode?
Well the Novation is always outputting MIDI, and Automap simply takes that MIDI and maps it to different MIDI configurations, if you want to switch between multiple setups on the fly. I like that because I have all the controls labeled differently whether I'm controlling amp sims, synths, EQ, or just Reaper.

It's funny because I was sold on all that auto-plugin crap when I first saw it, but it's not the simple affair they say it is and leaves a lot to be desired. After years of having this thing and regarding it a waste of money, I finally took the time to set it up manually and now I love it and use it constantly.

In any case, APOT is a "display type" for CC on my Novation (always displays 0 when turned). It's also the only way that inc/dec mode works correctly in Automap.

So how do I change the sensitivity of each control in Automap? I thought there was only the global "encoder acceleration" setting.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #25
lb0

Quote:
Well the Novation is always outputting MIDI, and Automap simply takes that MIDI and maps it to different MIDI configurations, if you want to switch between multiple setups on the fly. I like that because I have all the controls labeled differently whether I'm controlling amp sims, synths, EQ, or just Reaper.

It's funny because I was sold on all that auto-plugin crap when I first saw it, but it's not the simple affair they say it is and leaves a lot to be desired. After years of having this thing and regarding it a waste of money, I finally took the time to set it up manually and now I love it and use it constantly.

In any case, APOT is a "display type" for CC on my Novation (always displays 0 when turned). It's also the only way that inc/dec mode works correctly in Automap.

So how do I change the sensitivity of each control in Automap? I thought there was only the global "encoder acceleration" setting.
Yes - agreed. I got so frustrated at times with the one plugin setup at a time!! Although this script works a bit like that - that was what was requested. I have the stripper script if I want multiple plugins mapped at same time.

I've not spotted APOT - just the usual NRPN RNPN or whatever...

Anyhoo - in Automap 4 (don't know what version these options go back to) - when you click an encoder to assign it to a parameter - there are tabs at the bottom. First tab sets the parameter, the third tab (I think) - is 'Range' where you specify start values/end values and increment steps. Simply increase the number of steps and it makes it more sensitive, reduce the number of steps to make it less sensitive (going from recent memory).
Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #26
RJHollins

I'm reading a description of why I havn't used my Nocturn.

I was hoping it could work as an EQ controller.

Actually ... I was hoping for a controller that had 3 controls/band ... with maybe 6-10 bands assignable.

Anyway ... following this thread with interest
Old 03-29-2018, 02:05 AM   #27
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
I think I suggested this for one of your other scripts, but actually, it would work better for this one (or at least something like this one), where specific controls (from a midi controller) are assigned keywords (like "gain" or "threshold") and then the script (automatically) maps those controls to the plugin controls of the same name on the plugin that's in focus.

It's a shame I don't have enough USB/midi ports to be able to try this out though, it looks amazing!
Thank you. I'll have a think about your suggestion - I like the idea. Have you tried a USB hub??

I guess the main issue is that most plugins do not simply name the parameters Gain or Freq. Often it would be Low Gain, Lo Mid Freq, Lo Mid Frequency, Freq Lo Mid - all sorts of combinations - so the solution to this would require a decent way of parsing these different naming conventions.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #28
lb0

Quote:
I'm reading a description of why I havn't used my Nocturn.

Actually ... I was hoping for a controller that had 3 controls/band ... with maybe 6-10 bands assignable.

Anyway ... following this thread with interest
Thanks RJ,

Well - if you have any suggestions to how it might work best for what you have in mind - let me know

I'm guessing you would like to be able to control multipe plugins at once? - ie. Single EQ band Nebula instances?? It could probably be adapted somehow to allow for this scenario...
Old 03-29-2018, 02:13 AM   #29
foxAsteria

Huh, maybe it's not the same for the other controllers. It's not going to be where CC and NRPN are though, on mine it's right next door and its display types for CC are 0-127, -64/+63, REL1, REL2, 0-16K and APOT. You don't have options like that?

Yea I thought I could control sensitivity that way, but I couldn't get it to work right. Maybe I was messing with the range instead of steps. I'll have to try again.

EDIT: Range is not available for inc/dec mode. I'll have to experiment more...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-29-2018 at 02:27 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 AM   #30
foxAsteria

Quote:

Check out remote zero sl on ebay. Plenty enough for EQ and they're like $100 or less used. 16 knobs in 2 rows is not the most intuitive setup for eq, but I've made it work. Though if you could settle for 8 bands, then it's about perfect because then you have encoders for Hz, pan pots for Q and faders for gain for each band.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:24 AM   #31
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thanks RJ,

Well - if you have any suggestions to how it might work best for what you have in mind - let me know

I'm guessing you would like to be able to control multipe plugins at once? - ie. Single EQ band Nebula instances?? It could probably be adapted somehow to allow for this scenario...
Well .... actually ... beside controlling an N4 instance, I do have a collection of ACQUA EQ's that would be considered candidates.

As to the N4 possibility ... how could we ignore your STRIPPER creation ?!?!
A hardware Controller would expand out to the tactile-world
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 AM   #32
lb0

Quote:
Well .... actually ... beside controlling an N4 instance, I do have a collection of ACQUA EQ's that would be considered candidates.

As to the N4 possibility ... how could we ignore your STRIPPER creation ?!?!
A hardware Controller would expand out to the tactile-world
Well yes. Also - next update for Stripper has *per track* FADER assignments - so you can set different fader assignments for external MIDI control for each track's strips. Working ok for me so far - so I might be releasing very soon for wider world testing...
Old 03-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #33
lb0

Quote:
Huh, maybe it's not the same for the other controllers. It's not going to be where CC and NRPN are though, on mine it's right next door and its display types for CC are 0-127, -64/+63, REL1, REL2, 0-16K and APOT. You don't have options like that?

Yea I thought I could control sensitivity that way, but I couldn't get it to work right. Maybe I was messing with the range instead of steps. I'll have to try again.

EDIT: Range is not available for inc/dec mode. I'll have to experiment more...
Aha - will have another look then

It definitely works for sensitivity adjustments - but it does sound like it needs to be in one of the absolute modes then.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:22 AM   #34
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you much for sharing
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #35
lb0

Quote:
Well - I've now checked my Impulse keyboard and it doesn't seem to have any options for relative mode built in. Just allows settings for MAX/MIN and channel - that's pretty much it.

Googling suggests I might have more luck with the Remote ZERO SL - so may have to try and get that running again.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #36
lb0

Updated:

Includes option (under new SETTINGS button) to float a focused fx window if it is closed when you adjust any parameter of the plugin. A auto floated window will close after a specified number of seconds. If the plugin window was already open when adjustments were made - then it will remain open.

You need to hit SAVE to save the setting in the plugins template file.

Note - any recorded automation will also cause the plugin to float - so you'd need to focus a different unautomated plugin to prevent this currently.

FURTHER TO PREVIOUS INFO:

The REC button. This arms the faderbox faders for recording automation. When you have finished recording - if it went badly - you can click the REC button again to forget the written automation, or you can choose to copy all the recorded automation (that falls within the current time selection) from the faderbox lanes to the plugin's envelope lanes by hitting the SAVE button.

So it provides a pretty neat way of transferring recorded automation to the target envelopes.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #37
nuno_m_pires

... finally. I waited 5 years to have a decent way of controlling plugins in REAPER with feedback. very good ... YOU ARE THE MAN.
nuno_m_pires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #38
nuno_m_pires

any chance of code faderbox to use 64 sliders?
I know we can only use 64 sliders in js but maybe we do not need the options like:
- feedback (always on, of course)
- CC no's (direct numbers of sliders)
- midi ch (any) we can change later in the track sending output
- note on monitor and latch time (maybe not too)
and use all available sliders to control plugins like Metric Halo ChannelStrip that uses exactly 64 controllers. With the BCR2000 we can do this and much much more, in a single preset.
Can you do something for that?
thank you ... and again ... "you are the man"
nuno_m_pires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #39
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno_m_pires View Post
any chance of code faderbox to use 64 sliders?
I know we can only use 64 sliders in js but maybe we do not need the options like:
- feedback (always on, of course)
- CC no's (direct numbers of sliders)
- midi ch (any) we can change later in the track sending output
- note on monitor and latch time (maybe not too)
and use all available sliders to control plugins like Metric Halo ChannelStrip that uses exactly 64 controllers. With the BCR2000 we can do this and much much more, in a single preset.
Can you do something for that?
thank you ... and again ... "you are the man"
Thank you!

I'll look into providing another faderbox with 64 sliders. Some of the extra sliders on the 32 version are actually for the Stripper script - so not needed for the Smart Knobs script.

EDIT:

Alternatively - I could just code it like how Stripper works - and that is allow more than one instance of Faderbox32 - thus putting 4 on the track gives you 128 faders if you wanted...?
Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #40
DynamicK

lb0 Looks interesting. Thanks for your work. Will try it out soon.
Are the presets Global or per Project?

Last edited by DynamicK; 04-13-2018 at 05:40 AM.
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote