Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Default Can ReaScript make cycling button actions?

In short what's described here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=346

I bet it can, it's all done with a counter and if-else loops, I reckon. But how to detect a key that is going to be bound to that specific ReaScript, and then detect multiple pressings of that key, AND to preserve last pressed key state?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
MikeLacey

Hi Dragon,

You don't need to store the last state if you want to cycle through the MIDI Editor modes - you can just ask the MIDI Editor what mode it's in with MIDIEditor_GetMode()

Once you have the current mode you can flick it to the other one with the appropriate MIDIEditor_OnCommand() call.

Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
EvilDragon

True, but I was asking from a more generalized perspective (and used the link above just for an application example, sorry if I wasn't clear enough!) - so I could use a multitude of actions depending on the key I press multiple times.

Say, I want to write a ReaScript that's gonna cycle through the five envelope modes for the currently selected envelope on the currently selected track. Say I want that ReaScript freely bound to a certain key. How can ReaScript determine to which key was it bound, and use that key to cyclically trigger one of those 5 states?

Now I don't need a solution to this particular ReaScript, I just want to know the general approach of how to do a cycled n-keypress script.

BTW - I can't cycle through all piano roll modes - MIDIEditor_GetMode still doesn't return a value for named notes mode!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
How can ReaScript determine to which key was it bound, and use that key to cyclically trigger one of those 5 states?

Now I don't need a solution to this particular ReaScript, I just want to know the general approach of how to do a cycled n-keypress script.
That may be a bit tough one. ReaScripts can't retain their state in memory between their executions. The script would need to have a variable that is increased from it's previous value each time it executes. An obvious but slightly complicated approach would be to keep that state in a disk file. It however may be your only way to do this currently.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
MikeLacey

"MIDIEditor_GetMode still doesn't return a value for named notes mode!"

No. No it doesn't - and I'm not sure why - just an oversight?

Now - forgive me for being thick... Freely Bound? What do you mean by that?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Freely bound... That means whichever key I associate to any action in Actions window - a basic Reaper action, an extension action, my custom macro, or my custom ReaScript. Key binding, freely bound key. In essence, this ReaScript should recognize the key to which it was dedicated to, and cycle different actions on multiple presses of that same key.

Also, Xen, doesn't Python support persistent variables that could be used as some kind of memory?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also, Xen, doesn't Python support persistent variables that could be used as some kind of memory?
Not really, unless the script is continuously running. ReaScripts however get loaded, executed and destroyed from memory at each run. Perhaps you could come up with some way to keep the script running in the background continuously without blocking Reaper's GUI thread, I don't know...Anyway the saving and loading a disk file isn't very hard to do, at least in Python. (And I am quite sure Perl has good facilities for that too.)