Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Cup
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's silent mystery

Sometimes when I'm mixing, Reaper goes silent. Last week it did this one time, with one track showing activity in the track level monitor (the little jumping yellow-green lights). Other times it goes silent with several tracks still claiming activity. Closing/reopening usually fixes it.

Today I opened a couple of projects that I was working on late last week. Both made sounds then. Neither does today.

Both still have sound waves in the horizontal track timeline. The timeline is moving. Nothing is muted, and there is no automute message. The faders are where I left them, mostly around 0. I went to Audacity, and it made a (loud) sound, so it's not that I forgot to turn my headphones on (I'm capable of that!). None of the track monitors nor master monitor is showing any activity. Audio-stats on the master is registering nothing (-317.95, which I guess is akin to absolute zero).

I've tried closing and reopening. Nada. I looked at the troubleshooting FAQs, but their suggestion was to open Reaper "dry" by means of the start menu. This didn't work - it opened with the projects loaded.

I'm reasonably confident that if I turn my PC off and come back tomorrow, it will be OK. But I'm not OK - I want to know why this happens, and if there's anything I can do to remedy it, apart from turning on/off my PC. Eg, does it get grumpy if I have too many projects open (four at the mo), or other things on my PC (actually, nothing else just now). Is there a magic reset button? Etc.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
ChristopherT

Yep - it is amazing that PC's + sound cards can do such strange things.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Sounds like your audio device is also getting used by Windows, which can cause conflicts. Are you on Windows? If so, right click the speaker icon on your taskbar and make sure that your motherboard sound is selected for playback devices, rather than your interface.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Reason

Do you have common plugin on these projects?

I've had VSTs fail on me to where they would no longer pass sound. Workarounds were to reinitialize my sound device or remove/re-add the offending plug in. Never found a fix other than to not use it.
Reason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
serr

Yeah, communication troubles with the audio interface.
Could be another audio using app (internet browser, media player) making a sample rate request different from how you set your Reaper system. Could be a bad/intermittent firewire or USB cable!

Next time instead of relaunching Reaper, go to the Preferences/Audio/Device control panel, select your interface again (even if it still appears selected) and then hit apply. This forces a sample rate request. If that works, then you know that was the cause. (This assumes you are controlling this with the Reaper control panel.)

Otherwise go over your control setup. Lots of posts around here spelling all that out. Some interfaces force you to use your OS or 3rd party control panels and disable sample rate control from Reaper.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
I've had VSTs fail on me to where they would no longer pass sound. Workarounds were to reinitialize my sound device or remove/re-add the offending plug in. Never found a fix other than to not use it.
What usually works for me is to save the preset and then just switch to another preset and back. It generally only happens with older, bridged synthedit plugins.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Cup

Ah, brilliant, lots of useful ideas there. Thanks very much, all. I'll take a look in the morning. I wondered about bridged VSTs, since they've caused me other (more straightforward crash) problems in the past.

I'll have a look and post back what works. May be of use to some future searcher ...

Paul

Last edited by Cup; 01-28-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to include "thank you".
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Cup

Default Resolved!

Well, just to give an update for posterity. It was indeed a 32 bit VST! I noticed Reaper get stuck for a time while loading up, so I could see which song it was (though not the track, since there were multiple instances of the VST, and when not stuck the opening process moves fast). I closed that song, and then Reaper. When I reopened Reaper, the other projects were fine, including ones with the same VST. I think the problem is simply with the loading up of that particular instance in that song.

I'm not at all technical, but I wonder if a 32 bit bridge is inherently difficult to make robust, or if Reaper could improve it a little? I had a problem with it last year, when the bridge just kept crashing and basically taking Reaper with it. Given some developers are clearly not going to update their plug-ins, and some users may be wedded to old ones for a variety of reasons, it would be great to get that bridge really strong.

Thanks everyone for the useful ideas!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
pgodfrin

Slightly off topic, but related to 32 bit bridged vst...

Recently some bridged vsts would cause lots of issues, including drops, freezes, distortion, etc. Basically, I'm just replacing them frequently. Not sure what software is the culprit, just saying...
pgodfrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
I had a problem with it last year, when the bridge just kept crashing and basically taking Reaper with it.
That's the reason for the options to run plugins in dedicated or separate processes, I think; to keep them from crashing all of Reaper if they crash. Those options are available if you right click any plug in the fx browser.