Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
amadeusrecords
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI between 2 Reapers

Hi,

Do you know a way to send/receive MIDI in realtime between 2 Reapers on 2 computers connected with Ethernet?

(I need to connect MIDI keyboard in studio with Reaper in Control Room (12 meters far), have a second computer with Reaper in studio)

Thanks if someone helps!!

Regards,
Tomek
amadeusrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Dr Bob

You could try ReaStream - but many have found this does not work too well in real time. Basically, stick a reastream at the end of thje fx chain for the midi input track (set to send), and on the remote machine stick a reastream on the track to receive the MIDI (set to receive).

There are other products which send midi over ethernet (google is your friend).

db
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
amadeusrecords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
You could try ReaStream - but many have found this does not work too well in real time. Basically, stick a reastream at the end of thje fx chain for the midi input track (set to send), and on the remote machine stick a reastream on the track to receive the MIDI (set to receive).

There are other products which send midi over ethernet (google is your friend).

db
Thx, Great! I'll try it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeusrecords View Post
Hi,

Do you know a way to send/receive MIDI in realtime between 2 Reapers on 2 computers connected with Ethernet?

(I need to connect MIDI keyboard in studio with Reaper in Control Room (12 meters far), have a second computer with Reaper in studio)

Thanks if someone helps!!

Regards,
Tomek
There is a wifi midi driver out there somewhere. Saw it just recentyly. Just do a google. Maybe that will help you. That's how some of the Android controller apps are making their connection to midi software on pc.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Dr Bob

Hey,

Here's a link to look at ... rtp midi

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html

db
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
amadeusrecords

Thaks guys!!

I've tested ReaStream and it worked very well and stable during one hour or more.

There is a little delay in streaming MIDI, but musicians in studio will have a native piano sound from my Kurzweil in their headphones.
In the same moment I will record MIDI from it, sent via computer in studio, via ethernet cable to my audio computer in CR through ReaStream.

I can remove delay later on with JS delay/time adjustment, or manually. That's no problem.

Great thanks once more!!
Tomek
Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Dr Bob

Great! Glad it worked out OK. And yes, you can fix things afterwards I'm sure.

I used reastream to send and receive 7 channels of audio at 24 bit, 96kHz over a couple of hundred miles! Recorded musician live in surround, then re-mixed and played back (in surround using Genelecs)to the audience back where the muso was situated!

Didn't need real time though, just no dropouts, and it worked for a day!

Mind you, I did have my own dedicated 1 Gb/s fibre link - but had local network traffic to contend with at each end. But, we only needed around 40 megs continuous!

Wish reastream would get some love ... Christophe?

db
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
amadeusrecords

It's really great!!
What possibilities to imagination.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Dr Bob

With a lot of lateral thinking I was also able to fool each REAPER session to think it had a control surface (but did not actually have one).

But, I set the output to a loopback of each one (on each session) and then used that midi source as the input to a track which then sent the midi over reastream. To each other. The control input to the control surface was taken from the receiving track of each session.

What it meant was that each movement of a fader etc on either reaper session moved the fader on the other. So, with a talkback channel we could actually remote mix together (but for the recording session, we did not do this - too little time). Care had to be taken because e.g. move fader up 3db on repear-1, then the fader on reaper-2 would go up 3db, which would the move the fader on reaper-1 up 3db ... by avoiding feedback loops and using the midi controlled tracks as contro sources for the real audio, then all was well.

The audio was also streamed via reastream from repear-1 to reaper-2 !!!

It was a complex setup with clever routing and also use of midi loopbacks and also pretending each reaper had the control surface (basically one reaper session provided the control midi via the inbuilt control surface as the control midi data for the remote repear session - and vice versa)

Phew! Was fun ... and showed just how powerful reaper can be.

db
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
amadeusrecords

I can imagine to realize classics recording from a church, sitting in my garden under a tree, having TeamViewer to operate Reaper (I did that locally), with one talkback to executors, the other to my assistants, and a main mix signal from church to me, and the other from assistants to me.

Well, it's quite possible now. As a piece of cake. I'll do it :-)