Old 01-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default Action to learn midi controls ?

I forget, what is the action I look for to have Reaper 'learn' the midi keyboard controls (track faders, etc) to get my midi keyboard controls to be recognized by reaper?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Uhm MIDI learn? Except you can't learn track faders like that unfortunately; only plugin parameters. And there are only native actions for controlling track volume by track number (which is subject to change). ReaLearn lets you target tracks by name.

I'd recommend setting up controls for selected track instead. If you have an endless encoder, assign it to "go to track" (rel 3) and another to set volume for selected track etc. Then you can quickly select tracks and control them from your MIDI device.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Uhm MIDI learn? Except you can't learn track faders like that unfortunately; only plugin parameters. And there are only native actions for controlling track volume by track number (which is subject to change). ReaLearn lets you target tracks by name.

I'd recommend setting up controls for selected track instead. If you have an endless encoder, assign it to "go to track" (rel 3) and another to set volume for selected track etc. Then you can quickly select tracks and control them from your MIDI device.
I swear I was able to have Reaper 'learn' the faders/controls of my Korg NanoStudio I added to Reaper a few months ago, I just can not find the action to do it again. Or I was able to import an action list or something. Just can not recall how I did it. Trying to find a way for Reaper to recognize my M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard faders.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Just search 'MIDI learn' in the actions list. If you can't assign an action to your controller than it's probably not enabled in prefs/MIDI devices. Enable it in inputs for control, but don't enable outputs.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

I am learning to use Reaper's ACTION LIST to find pc computer kbd shortcuts and then add MIDI signal shortcuts to match those, very very useful--- I am doing this to get my M-Audio AXIOM 61 keyboard buttons to work with Reaper, working good so far!

I am using the ACTION LIST to find the current action, e.g. by moving the fader for track one using my other Panda MIDI kbd or my Korg control panel, then I click the Add action for that and then move the track one fader on my M-Audio Axiom 61 kbd and wow now my axiom kbd buttons are working one by one as I have Reaper learn them in this manner.

Last edited by randall7; 02-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote