Old 08-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
Rang Saksop
Human being with feelings

Default Text Colors/Fonts Customize

Hello! Glad to be here.

Trying out REAPER and theme customization. Virtual newbie here.

Note - I'm myopic. Really poor eyesight that prescription glasses can't treat. I have been squinting to read the dim text colors set on dark background.

Theme - default REAPER 6 theme.

My specific problem:
- Change text color/font of Selection status, tempo status, rate status, other item on that top bar, track name, other texts on track control panel.

I want them to be readable, high contrast, much like white text on black background, or black text on white background, no dim text colors for dark background, no light text colors for white/light background.

I can't find those items in the Tweak customizer.

General question - is there a tool that selects elements,like the tempo BPM status text, and displays the description of picked element that could be changed in the Tweak customizer? With all the many elements that could be customized, it's hard to tell which description goes to what element. Hard for me, anyway.

I've tried other themes, but, they have the same problems as the default or fixed the problem but introduce numerous other problems that the default got it right.

Thank you in advance. Bear with me here as the newbie of newbies.
Rang Saksop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Never

As for customizing fonts and their sizes, you can do that in the tweaker, just make sure you have all the windows open you can...mixer, timeline, docker, etc., and before changing one, make a note of its original setting. Then change one to something wild like dingbats or webdings, click apply, and you will see which element was effected.
This is a big help because themers may use any of the numbered WALTER fonts for whatever they want, the line that says 'vol/pan font' or 'track label font' may not be those things, in fact. There are also fonts you can change like 'timeline font', etc. that are not listed with the other WALTER fonts, they are in other places in the tweaker window. So being aware of those and your method for ID'ing fonts, you can now go about settings every font to your hearts desire. EXCEPT you cannot set the color for some reason, hmmm, wow REAPER, well geez, you mean 5 different tweaking scripts, 5 different locations for dev info, and many levels of changing and overriding setting and....give me a break...yes, you actually have to unpack the theme, edit the 'rtconfig' file and all of the font settings inside of it for each and every layout of the theme you use, and that is, if you can decipher anything at all that is going on because the newer default themes are not really WALTER at all they are all math and variables and conditions and macros and yea, good luck.
I suppose you could just write a macro changing the color of every font in the theme and place it at the end of the file. Anyhow, if you want to make a high contrast version of a default theme or any theme, someone here may help you. Someone may take a swing at it for you. More info would be needed and such...
Part 2:
There is a couple of actions that are used to help themers I am away from REAPER atm but I think they are called something like theme helper or element finder if you search actions for the word theme and the word element you should see them. Play with em and see how they may benefit you. Also you can see some names of items by unpacking and opening a theme's resource folder. Further, there is a list of images, a list of cursors with in action examples, and more available as sdk materials.
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/cursors/cursors.php
As far as anything not covered in any of this, which may be foreign to some because they are descriptions of OS elements or waveform elements or general DAW elements etc., and things which vary from DAW to DAW like 'playhead' and 'play cursor'...many different conventions are used in the tweaker menu that are kind of out of context, and you are not the first to have difficulty. Bringing me to my point; whatever items you cannot glean from any of the above resources, just post again the exact desriptions item by item and someone will explain...like 'main window 3d highlight' or 'window text' (these are actually overriding an OS elements).

Last edited by Never; 08-10-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Rang Saksop

Default Thanks, Never.

Thanks for the suggestions, Never. I appreciate it.

Addendum: I just want all text easy to read, like this forum, like simple text editors, no fancy foreground/background colors. Like you glance at it, and your eyes adjust quick, and not have to adjust longer for fancy foreground/background colorings. As in the old Cakewalk 5 for DOS, and the Cakewalk 2/3.x for Windows, simple GUI, easy to read. Getting old, eyes going bad, and miss the good old days of easy to read DAWs.

REAPER is an awesome DAW, don't get me wrong.

Last edited by Rang Saksop; 08-11-2022 at 05:27 AM.
Rang Saksop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang Saksop View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Never. I appreciate it.
Sure, you caught right as I posted and I added more to the beginning as I realized I did mot address the first question; you may want to recheck
Never is offline   Reply With Quote