Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
airdrummer
Human being with feelings

Default Yamaha O2Rv2 as a control surface

I've searched the forum and haven't come up with any help, however I apologize in advance if this has been covered. Has anyone successfully set up and used an O2R console as a Midi control surface in Reaper? I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm a big time newbie when it comes to this.
airdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

I figured out a way to control faders and pan pots in Reaper with my Yamaha DM1000 (uni-directional, not bi-directional!). It might work with an 02R, too.

Read chapter 11 of the 02R user manual (MIDI remote) and try to configure it to control an XG device (or Pro Tools).

In Reaper, you have to activate the appropriate MIDI input device (enabling controllers, too). Once everything is configured to have a working data connection (this will be only one way, not bi-directional, with the 02R sending fader or pan data to Reaper) you have to assign actions to control Reaper faders or pan pots via the 02R. Watch out for actions like "Track: Set track volume for Track xx (MIDI CC/OSC only)" or "Track: Set track volume for selected Tracks (MIDI CC/OSC only)". When you click the assign button to assign a key to the desired fader action in Reaper, move the desired fader on the 02R and Reaper should then assign the fader to that action.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
airdrummer

Awesome!! Thanks for the help. I'm going to give this a try. Bi-directional would be awesome, but I can live with uni-directional. Is it just something cockos would need to program in to make it bi-directional, or is it a limitation of these old digital mixers?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
airdrummer

Well, I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe I'm missing something. I've tried using both the XG and Protools setting on the remote section of the midi settings on board the O2R. Under preferences > control surface in Reaper, I've tried every different type of control surface possible, and I cannot get it to recognize the control when I try to map to any MIDI/CC actions. I've also checked the MIDI connection with MIDI-OX, and it is reading data so I know that part of the link is functioning. What gives?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Andy Hamm

I have promix 01's that work one way,don't set up a control surface, just map it it preferences under assign keys or something like that, not at a computer at the moment but it is easy and it works.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote