Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Rocket
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Tutorial Videos...

Hello all...First post...

I put these together for another forum and I thought some folks around here might get some use from them as well...

The first one is just a real quick general overview of getting setup and how to record a track....

http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleVids...ng_Started.wmv

The next three are related to a group mix thing we did...which was a lot of fun...so these are videos of how I mixed it...The only rule we had in place was all plugins used had to be free...

http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleVids/Drums.wmv
http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleVids/Bass_Guitar.wmv
http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleVids/FX_Send_Render.wmv

Here's the audio files for the mix if you want to give it a try...

http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleMix.zip

Finally here's an EZDrummer video and different ways to use it...

http://www.rocket-music.com/HoleVids/EZ-Backing.wmv

I have just started using Reaper and up to this point I am extremely impressed and have started using it exclusively...

If any of you seasoned Reaper users see me doing something the "hard way" in these videos please point it out...I'm still learning....
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Kick ass man!!!! The free plugs only rule is what I stick to in my tutorials as well, and with the type were getting now, Im too the point where I only mix with them!

It sure makes it easier when using other PC's too
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
antiClick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Hello all...
Hey brotha... I suspect I know you from somewhere

your face looks familiar.... :\

Last edited by antiClick; 08-12-2007 at 07:52 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
Hey brotha... I suspect I know you from somewhere

your face looks familiar.... :\
my apologies....

didn't know that one was taken...heh

fixed...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
billybk1

Quote:
If any of you seasoned Reaper users see me doing something the "hard way" in these videos please point it out...I'm still learning....

Hey Rocket, nice job on the REAPER/EZdrummer tutorial. For someone just starting to use REAPER you have a good grasp on it already. In the EZdrummer video, instead of going through the extra steps of copying/aligning cursor/pasting etc...MIDI clips you can just align the cursor to the right edge (or left)of a clip (it will turn to a double arrow) and then simply left mouse click and drag the loop out(or in to shorten). Also, if you have ever used ACID, with the new pencil tool option you can now "paint" any selected (highlighted) MIDI or Audio loop onto non-contiguous regions of a track or even onto a different track. You can enable the option (from "Mouse" tab in Preferences) to make it the default behavior or enable it using the the Ctrl modifer key when using left mouse click & drag. The cursor will turn to a pencil icon when active.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

BTW, glad you found the REAPER EZdrummer VSTi multi-out Track templates & drum maps useful.

Last edited by billybk1; 08-12-2007 at 10:27 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
RokkD

Wow!...

Hi Rocket,

These vids are grrreat! Useful to me, and others I'm sure. I really enjoyed your relaxing walk through the project.....good stuff

btw, if you need more screen for fx, you can go to prefs-plugins, and check 'Auto-float newly created fx windows', you can also double click from your track fx list to float the plugin.

--
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
wootcomputers

Very cool videos. Very informative. One question though. How did you get absolutely no bleed on any of the drum tracks? I mean... even the overheads are just crashes/cymbals. I know that micing techniques will help reduce bleed but man are yours clean. What's your secret?
wootcomputers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootcomputers View Post
Very cool videos. Very informative. One question though. How did you get absolutely no bleed on any of the drum tracks? I mean... even the overheads are just crashes/cymbals. I know that micing techniques will help reduce bleed but man are yours clean. What's your secret?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
Rocket

Those are tracks bounced out from EZDrummer...

This was the first time as a group we'd mixed anything so I didn't want to spook people with a bunch of problems right off the bat...heh...

thanks guys...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
jimst57

I enjoyed your videos! Hope you do more in the future.

Can I ask how you got the guitar sound? Type of guitar, amp, recording technique?

I've been using a PodXT, but the sound seems a little thin compared to yours.

Thanks.
jimst57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #11
antiClick

Quote:
my apologies....

didn't know that one was taken...heh

fixed...
LOL!! No problem!
The more puppets, the more fun
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #12
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
I enjoyed your videos! Hope you do more in the future.

Can I ask how you got the guitar sound? Type of guitar, amp, recording technique?

I've been using a PodXT, but the sound seems a little thin compared to yours.

Thanks.
sure...It's a Schecter C1+ w/EMG85 --->Peavey 5150--->THD Hotplate--->line out from Hot Plate--->Reaper--->cab impulse

direct recorded...no mics involved...

To address your situation...Turn off the cabs in the XT and use cabinet impulses instead...much better sounds...

Here's a quick clip I did with a Toneport UX1 into cab impulses...

http://www.rocket-music.com/Toneport-KSE.mp3

I can elaborate further and upload the cab impulses I have if you like..??..
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
jimst57

Quote:
I can elaborate further and upload the cab impulses I have if you like..??..
Thanks for the reply.

Sure, if it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd love to try the impluses. Which plugin did you use them with?

Any plans for more videos?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Hindu Stan

Great stuff. Did you play gtr in and have delayed cabinet impulse response? Which cabinet impulses?
Haven't had a chance with videos yet. One thing I try and do is to first lay down gtr to click or loop. Then rewind, slow tempo down and record EZDrummer at slower tempo (since I'm not a drummer). You really get to feel where fills etc go as you are playing along to gtr and when you speed it back up to original tempo it sounds really good.
There is a button to right of transport where you can slow tempo down.
Hindu Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
SEA

Rocket, I have just three words for you....

"U B DA MAN!!!!

(ok... 4 words - HA!!!)

I think many of us on the forum would agree with what I'm about to say.

First of all... MOST of us are musicians first/songwriters, producers, then studio engineers last! The reason most of us (IMHO) even GOT into our own project studios is because WE didn't have the resources or the $$$$$ to go to the studio whenever we wanted. Most of us come from obscure or humble backgrounds to say the least.

But many of us are extremely gifted and talented with the dream of being able to write/record/produce our own music. It isn't all about the money or fame (though that's cool too) but mostly (at least for me) it's about being able to share my gift, tell the world how I feel, and perhaps even touch someone's life and change it for the good before I grow old and die.

Hey... Don't Fear The REAPER, Right?

These videos of yours have EXTREMELY helped me! It's not just what Reaper can do... it's what a guy who knows what he's doing with years of experience can teach us.

I mean... those little things you may have missed or plugs doing the kind of stuff that you wanted them to do, but perhaps didn't know how to tweak them to get the sound we're looking for.

Now... I have had 27 years experience in the studio so I'm not a novice. However, I was never the guy behind the board but rather the the guy saying "give it a little more this and that" and then the engineer would do his magic on a 200K rig with all the gear needed.

But the world has changed (and for the good). Now for the first time in my life, technology has come to the point where I CAN make my music happen... even in the most humblest of settings, and it's guys like YOU Rocket Man (Ha) that are helping us learn how to get the job done RIGHT!

PLEASE keep making more of these extremely helpful videos! Heck, for those of us who really appreciate these vids, I'm sure we would gladly donate some $$$ your way!

So once again THANKS and also to you Pipelineaudio and the others who are giving us more support than ANY other forum I've ever been on with probably the future's best daw program as well!

Best!

Jamie SEA
Registered Reaper User

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Rocket, I have just three words for you....

"U B DA MAN!!!!

(ok... 4 words - HA!!!)
actually, 1 word 2 letters and some gibberish.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
Rocket

thanks Sea and everybody else...

I'll tell you why I made these videos...plain and simple...I started doing this a while back and there was no one willing to tell you how they did stuff...Guys would post up these amazing sounding clips and you'd ask 'em..."how'd you get that snare drum sound" and the answer (if you got one) was always "figure it out for yourself"..."no one can teach you this stuff you have to learn it on your own"...etc..etc...to that I say BS..!!..nobody is born with "golden ears" everybody learned how to do this from someone else showing them how...and I'm gonna share what I know with anyone who asks and I'm gonna learn from them...nobody knows it all...

I work with a bunch of guys...Their mixing skills have improved and as a result they make more music...because...face it...recording is a lot more fun when it sounds good too......and I like music...

I use either free stuff or inexpensive things...I have some high dollar amps and stuff...but...where's the challenge in getting a good tone out of a high dollar amp...there is none...now try to make a $100 Toneport sound good...now you got something to work on...

I'm absolutely loving this Reaper and I've been digging around your forum a bit and I plan on participating more...I'm floored by the depth of this program...I've tried to "get used" to every other DAW out there...this one I'm not feeling like there is anything to "get used" to...It just fits how I think...

There will never be any charge for my videos...I do it because, it's fun for me...Give me ideas for new ones...

ok...guitar cab impulses...a favorite subject of mine...

First off...this is a free, amazing, zero latency impulse plugin...I've compared the results (using Reaper's stellar "Take" system) and it's nearly identical to Voxengo's Pristine Space...slightly brighter...which in reality might be a good thing...

http://habib.webhost.pl/

The plug is named KeFIR and it's link is on the upper left of that page...excellent stuff...Be sure to set the "Mix" knob to 100% and you're golden...

Here is some of the impulse files I have...I've made some myself, some are from the Andy Sneap Forum....etc...when possible I give credit where credit is due...

http://www.rocket-music.com/Impulses.rar

anyhow...turn off the POD cabs and use these instead...You'll be blowing the dust off it...guaranteed...

Let me know how these work out...or if you have any issues...

Last edited by Rocket; 08-14-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #18
doclike

love'em!

doc

edit: how do u record ur desktop?
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #19
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclike View Post
love'em!

doc

edit: how do u record ur desktop?
Camstudio would be one of the many options. But since Camstudio is free and can be found on sourceforge.net (don't have the correct link at hand right now), and simply works, I haven't really bothered looking elsewhere/for other optons.

Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
SEA

God Bless You Rocket for your BIG HEART to help others! You'll DEFINITELY be blessed in return!

I know what you mean... I have spent my whole life helping the little guy, or the musician who had talent but needed direction etc. I believe coming over to Reaper and getting help from people like you Rocket is part of my "REAPING" what I have sown for years!

REAPING with the REAP??? Hey!!! I Like That One!

If I get a few ideas for some vids I'll let you know Rocket!

I'm a pianist in my mid 40's and just started taking up the guitar a few years back. I'll 4-SURE check out your impulses when the time comes.

SEA
Registered Reaper User

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
SEA

Hey Rocket!

Just downloaded keFIR!

Have you tried EXTREMIST and Eq31?

If so, what's your take?

SEA

Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #22
JUKES

Thanks for taking the time to put these tutorials together, for someone like myself who knows nothing about recording in their fifties and not to quick on the uptake technically, plays an instrument,loves music and would like to learn how its done properly these are invaluable.
Would like to see a tutorial on Readrums along the same lines as your EZ Drummer tutorial.
JUKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
flight

Default Thanks much

Rocket,
These are really helpful. Thanks a lot for doing them. Any more you want to share, just keep 'em coming! Like many here, I come at this from being a musician, not an engineer, and a lot of the technical and experience aspects of music engineering are still to be explored and learned.

What you showed here already has me working with a new approach to getting the drum sounds I've heard but couldn't produce myself. I think you've given enough to get some of us "over the hump" on some of the learning curve so we can go exploring. Thanks again, and please do some more!!!
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #24
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Hey Rocket!

Just downloaded keFIR!

Have you tried EXTREMIST and Eq31?

If so, what's your take?

SEA
sorry haven't tried either one....

I have a bunch of gutar noise makers already...

thanks for the comments...I might have another set ready to go here soon...awaiting permission to use someone else's tracks...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #25
BishopJD

Default Great Stuff

Quote:
thanks Sea and everybody else...

There will never be any charge for my videos...I do it because, it's fun for me...Give me ideas for new ones...
I really found your videos to be very informative, interesting, and well made. I have been a long time Samplitude user, but I have recently fell in love with Reaper. I have only one issue, and that is the way that the automation works. I have read the manual and used the automation on various projects but it seems somewhat cumbersome and non-intuative. I have made it work, but,I have never been satisfied with the results. Do ya think that you may be able to throw together a short vid on using the automation in Reaper? I have seen much discussion about Reapers automation and I am sure that there would be many who would benefit from such a tutorial. If I had a better grip on Reapers automation it would more than likely become my dedicated DAW. Once again, great job on the videos. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Blessings
BishopJD
BishopJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #26
Rocket

I've had multiple requests for an automation video...

That's definetly next...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #27
flight

Quote:
Hello all...First post...
...The only rule we had in place was all plugins used had to be free...
Rocket,
Has something changed at Voxengo? It seems that the EQ used in the tutorial is not free at this point. What I downloaded seems to be a demo version that beeps every 30 seconds or so... Am I missing something? Is there a free version around?

-flight
Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #28
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
Rocket,
Has something changed at Voxengo? It seems that the EQ used in the tutorial is not free at this point. What I downloaded seems to be a demo version that beeps every 30 seconds or so... Am I missing something? Is there a free version around?

-flight
no...I used that one because, it has that spectrum graph in the background...It's not free...It was good for illustrating my points in the video...

For a good free EQ, I like ElectriQ...

http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/...sihfopit/30/0/

btw...double click on the points with that one to adjust the Q...
Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
flight

Yeah, the spectrum graph did help make and clarify your points... and also is part of why I liked it myself. Maybe we could get one put into ReaEQ?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #30
mschuster

rocket -

ran thru the drum and guitar "submix" videos tonight. very, very informative. they aren't kidding when they say a picture is worth a million words. your videos answered so many questions i've had lately in one sitting (not to mention provided a ton of new information) - don't quite know how to say thanks! so.. thanks!

i would watch a bit of your video - and then try a few things in a recent mix i've been working on. by the end - the thing had really come alive!

i bought my lic for reaper this past weekend. can't be happier with this software and community. thanks again!
mark
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #31
bluzkat

rocket,

I really found the tutorials informative. Thanks for all the effort, now get back to work. 8-)

I've also been messing with your cab impulses (I went and sprung for Pristine Space, needed another reverb, so what the heck). Your time and effort and sharing all of these, will definitely increase your karma. (I'm not sure it will get you any 'hot babes' though).
Peace.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #32
fegi

i also would like to say thanks for the drum and guitar mixing tutorials...

very useful!

fegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #33
Gtr65

Rocket,

I also want to thank you for your videos---they have helped me immensely!

Adam "Gtr65"
Gtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #34
Rocket

thanks for the kind words...

I got more in the works...stay tuned...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #35
jimst57

Could you offer any info on how you wired the setup to get the audio to record?

I tried a demo of Camtasia but my sound card doesn't have a "what you hear" setting so I couldn't capture the audio.

I only have a Line In and a Mic setting on my sound card.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #36
Rocket

I'm using my MOTU 828 to record it...

It has a built in 8 channel mixer...

Then I'm sending Output 1 & 2 from the MOTU to an M-Audio Audiophile 192 and recording off of that...

It was a big pain in the ass to get working...but...I've got it setup now...For whatever reason my MOTU doesn't show up in the recording options in Camtasia...??...no clue why...

So...not sure how to handle your setup...??..
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #37
RokkD

Quote:
thanks for the kind words...

I got more in the works...stay tuned...
I'll jump in here with a request for a sidechaining(ducking) video......that is, if you're not already too booked up.

--
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #38
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD View Post
I'll jump in here with a request for a sidechaining(ducking) video......that is, if you're not already too booked up.

--
don't those videos already exist? pipelineaudio did at lease one iirc.
t.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #39
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
don't those videos already exist? pipelineaudio did at lease one iirc.
t.
Talli,

Do you mean this one?
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11803

The picture wasn't very clear, it was brief, and not much naration,

didn't help me much... Pipes vid is an overview, and a very good one, but I'm looking for more in depth topical vids such as Rockets mixing video.

I guess it wouldn't have to be a video solely on sidechaining, but could just have a few minutes alloted to the subject within another video.

--
Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #40
Tallisman

Right. Cool. that is the one.
sry... request stands?

gr
t.