Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #121
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

+1 !

The ability to have RMS meter for Mixer Panel (like on the Master Panel) would be just awesome.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #122
James HE

an odd workaround, but might be useful to some...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=124847

(I might need to make an update here, I haven't debugged this in a while, and I half remember how I made this work to begin with.. ha! was one of the first things I finished with JS)

you have to futz with routing here, (at least make the track 4 channels - if it's parent is also 4 or more channels, be aware as well.) and it is a plug-in so it does cost cpu.

I do put this on busses sometimes. Other plug-in meters are sometimes more useful, depends.

Last edited by James HE; 10-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #123
YvesK

Hail the meter enhancements, they are not just long overdue, it's unthinkable they don't already work like this since two main versions ago yet. Anyone read the article on this subject in the Sep '13 issue of SOS (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...vel-headed.htm)?

IMHO the most urgent update to tackle would be the actual metering issues: real VU metering and ballistics, customisable scales & colours, choice of what it's metering (pre/post fader/inserts and what have you), one meter for one mono signal, ...

And indeed, Reaper calling their meters 'VU-meters' really stunned me too. This mistake is totally unexpected in such high quality product that Reaper is.
YvesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #124
X-Raym

I Agree with you, it's why i tried to found hacks for most of this problem.

Custom colors for meters are actually possible if you delete the meters png files in the theme pack... Then, you meter color will be set by the preferences menu.

but this is far less flexible and intuitive than the perfect Cubase way, because in Reaper, we can just set 3 colors for the gradient (and one for peak)...

It is possible to custom the scale in Reaper too, but not in a very flexible way (just by telling the lower volume on the sacle... no incrementation, reference value or whatsoever)

Pre fader meter can be available by putting a meter volume plugin on first place in the chain fx, but it's not very handy (had an fx on all channel is kind of not ergonomic).
Rms meter case is explained in the post before mine.

Despite all the possible hacks, the integration of this functionnality natively and ergonomicly is still one of my top feature request.

Last edited by X-Raym; 02-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #125
cincikat69

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Custom colors for meters are actually possible if you delete the meters png files in the theme pack... Then, you meter color will be set by the preferences menu.

I make custom multicolor meters for all of my theme designs, without using the preferences menu...takes time and effort, but can be done.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #126
X-Raym

It's a solution !
But we can assume that most people will not draw their own png metter map.

The ultimate goal is to have a no time / no effort / egronomic on :P

A representation of a meter, with custom editable gradient points defined by a color and a volume value... that sounds more user-friendly to me.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #127
cincikat69

I certainly don't disagree... Although I can say I enjoy making them and seeing my efforts work. A sense of satisfaction... (~:

But yes, having an "easy" way would be cool, for sure.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #128
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikat69 View Post
I certainly don't disagree... Although I can say I enjoy making them and seeing my efforts work. A sense of satisfaction... (~:

But yes, having an "easy" way would be cool, for sure.
100 percent agree. In fact, the meters and their graphics were one of the most time consuming aspects of creating my K-System theme. However, I use that as my daily theme and the meters are an integral part of my workflow. Spending the time on that was well worth it for me even if I'm the only one who uses it.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #129
Dannii

I have just updated the first post in this topic and the FR it is linked to. Some of the things in my initial FR have now been implemented and the request needed to be updated to reflect that. I will probably further update this request shortly to reflect the new EBU R128 specification and the hope that we can have this added to REAPER's standard master metering.

IMHO, the master RMS meter rise and fall smoothness could be somewhat improved too. At present, the meters are somewhat 'jumpy' (for want of a better term) with their RMS response.

Finally, a big thank you to JCS for listening to us and implementing some of the core sections of this FR. There is still more that I believe should be done but I understand that REAPER is a BIG project and there are many things being done on a constant basis. For that, I'm sure I speak for many when I say that we are very grateful for the tireless efforts of the JCS team. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #130
Dannii

Just added the following to my original post and my FR....

Update 2, 17th June, 2014 - CLICK HERE to vote for Airon's detailed EBU R128 meter specification request
Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #131
fwd0120

I think LUFS integration would be cool. I'm kinda one of the LUFS -23 crusaders.... lol
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #132
Sigilus

I'm glad we got the surround fixes for meters. It helps my work greatly. Looking forward to the rest of this FR
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #133
X-Raym

I would vote a second time if I could :P
Old 06-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #134
VinodXAgent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psPFhu4kKgw
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote