Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #81
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

+100!

Both for main and PRV views, like in Sonar 7!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #82
mabian

Has this marvellous FR been translated into a Issue Tracker FR?

I would absolutely vote for it!

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #83
jas

This combined with Area Selection and Video Support would mainline this application big time:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=604
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #84
airon

I'm waiting until video support and Area Selection is actually implemented. In no way has anyone forgotten about this, but getting basic stuff enabled is my first priority.

Of course you're free to use any image here and post the FR in the Issue tracker yourself.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #85
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I forgot to mention how this editor could function. There are two ways I see so far, and everyone should feel free to suggest other methods.

1. Drag'n'Dropping

The user picks up elements like mouse cursors, colours and functions, and just throws them on to the existing zones. Any zones the user requires but that don't yet exist can be created by dragged in from from the shape list.

2. Manual Selection and Editing

The user clicks on one of the zones, it is highlighted, along with its chosen mouse cursor, function and colour, if it has them. These can be edited by clicking on other choices.

Sharing Sets and Zones

The Actionlist showed that people do like sharing small action sets, so it may only natural to let users import and export Layers.

The Import and Export buttons in the Layers section lets you do that. The Zone Sets file operations are named "Open", "Save" and "Save As" because they save a set of all layers, which in turn contain the zones. These zone sets are documents, not snippets thereof, like single layers.

Mouse Cursors and File Operations

PNG files with transparency. Reaper would save these mouse cursors either in the zone set files, like it does with VST plugin presets, or save the zone sets as single layer files along with the mouse cursor graphic files, and perhaps even zip them up in to a .zoneset file, Open-Office-style. A directory and zoneset file with the name could be a good choice as well, similar to the colour themes. In that case, a central zone set file would point to all the needed files in a directory specified in the zone set file itself. All the relevant layer files would be stored there, which would also make it easier to separate and reuse them in other sets without having to use the editor.

Actions instead of Functions

The action list is pretty big, so it's a good idea to give the action list in the zone editor as much space as possible, when you're looking for something. Included in this update of the mockup is the filter textbox and an "Editor" button, which opens up the Action Window.

Size and Priority

What happens when the tracks are really small ? Here is where you set that up. You can give zones priorities, of which there are three: low, medium and top.

An example:

In the no-modifier Layer, the trim zones in the middle of the edges(one at each side of the item) should have always work. Thus you specify a minimum size of 40 pixels in height, and a minimum width of 20 pixels. There are other zones at the edge of the item such as those for the fades in the upper corners, and you give them a lower priority than the trim zones. Thus no matter what is set up in the other zones, the trim zones will always work. As the track gets smaller the other zones are covered by the trim zones, whose minimum size begins to cover the whole track height.

Other ideas

Let's hear them. Anything that works better gets my vote.

The updated image with all the stuff talked about in this post :

+1
for PRV and Items

I almost forgot to say (WOW!!! great mockup!)

tho I think that the Ctrl shift alt should be tickable, like here:

this makes it easy for combining alt+ctrl+shift ..etc

Last edited by Reflected; 07-31-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #86
airon

Oh yeah, those CTRL, SHIFT and ALT buttons are actualy switches. On or off.

At some point I'll put this up in the Issue Tracker, but I'm bucking for video and area selection as the big ones right now, and a Mouse Zone Editor will be huge.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #87
Reflected

any news about this ?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #88
Tallisman

news? it's on the radar.
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #89
airon

It is indeed. This idea was referred to as clever by the devs, so we're hopeful this will make some kind of appearance.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #90
Reflected

The thing is that I can't stop thinking about having this feature in reaper, from the moment I wake up till I go to sleep 24/7.

This is the roots of the workflow...it should get top priority IMO.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #91
EvilDragon

Is this thing in the tracker yet? If it's not, airon should put it, and lots of people should vote for FR to be elevated

I agree this mouse zone editor should be implemented as well as:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=722

and:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=718
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #92
airon

That PRV editor you showed, could you explain that in detail ? Maybe it's the better idea for the mouse zone editor as well, or at least we can pool ideas this way.

I'll put up a mouse zone editor request, once we've collected a few more ideas. I didn't take in to account the existing mouse zone editors in other applications for example.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #93
EvilDragon

That's Sonar's PRV editor. It's used only for piano roll in Sonar, and hence has a limited number of actions available to tweak. Still, it is very flexible since you can:

* edit what does a mouse click do to 5 zones of a note (your Mouse Zone editor is even more precise than that) - additional zones include "place outside the note rectangle" and "velocity handle"
* each zone can have a different action depending on mouse button pressed (left, middle, right) and modifiers along (ctrl, shift, alt, ctrl+shift, ctrl+alt, shift+alt, ctrl+shift+alt) which gives us A LOT of tweakability.
* unfortunately there's no mousewheeling support here. Your's does have it? If it doesn't, it should!

Anyways, Airon, your mockup is even better (more flexible) than Sonar's PRV editor. There is just one selector that's needed: to switch between various actions for various item types, and we have three of them, right? We need a selector for: audio item actions, MIDI item actions, MIDI note in MIDI editor actions.

Also it would be super awesome if those mouse zones could be drawable on the spot, right on the item mockup, along with fiddling with Size and Priority dropdowns. You know, the way you draw rectangles in Paint or any graphics program.

Also, a neat thing would be to have a "Test it!" button, so we wouldn't have to close the editor window to try it out every time we modify an action, it should save a lot of time.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-06-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #94
Jae.Thomas

along similar lines, but a simpler base idea to start:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=892
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #95
airon

We could develop some ideas for a simplified way to assign what happens where when you click, double-click(overlooked that one before tbh), right-click, even double-right-click and of course middle-click.

The big mouse zone editor is all fine (and possibly dandy) but it's not the easiest way to change certain things.

The actions editor seems like a decent way. At some point it should get a special interface and may even offer more than one way to skin the cat.

For example, it may not be a mouse zone, as seen in the last MZE mockup, but perhaps an editor automatically adds the corrent setting with modifiers for certain actions.

We do have certain ways in Reaper, and three of them are :

1) CTRL + moving makes a copy
2) ALT + action deletes stuff
3) SHIFT + selection changes selections

These kinds of rules could be used to save the user time. It would limit the flexibility of configuring the mouse to do whatever you want it to do. And maybe it is too much trouble and there aren't commands to support all the stuff that these rules would entail, but we can sure speculate.

--edit--

JBM, would you really want to edit all contexts in Reaper ? There are so many.

Last edited by airon; 08-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #96
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
news? it's on the radar.
.t
YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #97
Reflected

do mockups help the programmers in this case?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #98
memyselfandus

this looks Great
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #99
Erkan

This is actually what I was thinking of a few weeks ago... only, I was just wishing for something MUCH simpler, but this would be even better. Coming from Ableton Live myself, I wished Reaper behaved the same way... where you drag the item on the top area to move it, and the lower area to do time selection. No holding down modifier keys and stuff necessary... easy workflow.
Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #100
EvilDragon

Quote:
This is probably the best mouse editor ever. I especially like draggable dividers!

There could be some simplifications, GUI wise, but all in all, this is a feature-packed monster that's waiting to be unleashed! I hope it gets here around 3.2~3.3! Also, there should be support for MIDI items and MIDI editor too, as well as the area outside the items!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #101
merdave

+1 This idea is really looking good!
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #102
Shan

bump-a-roony

Shane

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #103
jas

You've certainly got my vote. Presently, there's heavy traffic in the Action menu.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #104
Janoosh

+1 for Shan vision
Looks great!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #105
dus7_7o_dus7

Top priority for me.

+1
dus7_7o_dus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #106
ankely

+11 This would be stoopid cool !!!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #107
Reflected

Bumppabilbi
Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #108
airon

We do have one feature request in the issue tracker that links back to this thread and to this thread.

It's a start, and since it's a simpler idea, it's well worth discussing whether the full blown mouse zone editor as depicted in the shot below is the best design for such an editor we can come up with. I think we can do better, so I'll go through all the functions of this editor one by one. If you feel there's something missing or could be done better, please speak up.

This is the most advanced design so far :

Let's think about our goal here for a second. An editor to easily change what the mouse does.

What the editor needs to do is make it easy and intuitive. The simpler concepts include drop-down menus for predefined zones, such as what JBM and Shane suggested. Basically it's just the amount of customization that separates the designs from one another.
  1. Editing the functions of the mouse zones requires a great deal of time and testing, so the editor shouldn't get in the way of that. Thus, it would be beneficial if it could run alongside the application, in a non-modal fashion if that's the right term.
  2. Settings should be easy to propagate to other layers of the mouse zone set. This is what the layer-cut/copy/paste is supposed to achieve.
  3. Folks starting new mouse sets from scratch will also want to propagate the action of a particular zone in to other layers of that zone. This is practical for changing the behaviour of fades on multiple layers for example. This is what the zone-cut/copy/paste commands are for.
  4. Layers need to be accessible, and it needs to be easy to identify what layer you're on. This is what the mouse button dropdown menu plus the buttons do. To simplify it even further, instead of a dropdown menu, a bunch of buttons of which only one of the three can be active, could be used.
  5. The mouse zone set needs to be savable to files, just like keyboard/midi-cc bindings are. This also includes saving a subset of the mouse zone set, which is what the Layer-Import/Export buttons are for.
  6. The actual zones need to be configurable in size, which happens by creating divider lines, similar to how they're made for the GUI of Blender. Automatically, the editor should take the pixel metrics of the zones in the editor as the minimum-size in pixels of those zones.
  7. There are two areas. The item and the area outside an item. This is what the dropdown menu on the middle-right of the editor is for.
  8. There is a status/information area that shows what the currently selected zone does.
  9. The currently selected zone is coloured, which is not shown on the mockup at this time.
  10. Each zone in a layer can perform one or no function. They are chosen from the list on the bottom right, which includes a link to the action list.
  11. Each zone can have its own mouse cursor image, drag and dropped from the set in the bottom left. Standard image sizes are suggested, whatever they may be. The tooltip on the images should be instant and display the filename of the image.
  12. Zones can be deleted by deleting a divider. This probably could be done in a more intuitive fashion.

One thing to consider is to have the mouse zone set savable to a zipped file(light compression) for easy distribution. This is a lot easier to handle and has less chance of being messed up on different operation systems. This isn't meant to replace a "foobar.mousezones" and "foobar/gfx files" kind of layout, which would be great for editing.

Also, it's worth noting that some people will want to change between sets like this when they're recording, editing, composing or whatever else.

The design could be improved in how it indicates what a zone is set to. I propose this be a coloured background to indicate that a zone has anything at all, an x%-opacity image of the mouse cursor assigned to it and an instant tooltip in addition to the info area on the right.

Do we have everything covered ?
If not, please speak up.

Last edited by airon; 10-16-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #109
EvilDragon

I think you covered it up nicely, just about enough to FR it and get massive votes on this!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #110
gofer
-blänk-

To simplify the access to mousebutton/modifier/zone (as in point 4)),an alternative shortcut to set it up would be clicking into the zone graphic with the button/modifier you want to change. That would update the dropdowns and buttons.

Example: if you want to set up what the middle mouse button + CTRL is doing in the upper middle zone, you'd do just that exact click in the graphics and are ready to set up the desired action for exactly this circumstance.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #111
airon

Great idea. Nice and simple.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #112
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
To simplify the access to mousebutton/modifier/zone (as in point 4)),an alternative shortcut to set it up would be clicking into the zone graphic with the button/modifier you want to change. That would update the dropdowns and buttons.

Example: if you want to set up what the middle mouse button + CTRL is doing in the upper middle zone, you'd do just that exact click in the graphics and are ready to set up the desired action for exactly this circumstance.
this is the way it works in sonar 8, extremely powerful and easy to manage.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #113
Reflected

please, I would like to know what's going on with this.

is it going to happen any time soon?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #114
gofer
-blänk-

I found the Sonar tool editor quite nice, but one thing niggled me lots. There wasn't an easy way to see which button/modifier combination does what after you assigned it. So, to see what combinations are left to be assigned or just have a look at how you assigned things resulted in clicking through all combinations until you found what you want.
I just learned from a recent thread that some kind user wrote a tool to show you a chart. Which is about the same situation as we face with the action window (damn, do I have a free modifier for "B" left or not?).

I'd rather have such a funtionality built in the tool editor (and in the action window).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #115
Amazed

Quote:
No matter how cool and clever a developer is, pleasing all is very difficult. This idea has been suggested by at least a dozen of my fellow editors. All had a similar complaint of all the DAWs that ever existed. They couldn't tell the DAW what their mouse should do. It was always the DAW telling them.
And I think that's just fine the daw works a certain way. Provided it's practical and sensible and achieves what it needs to they can configure it how they want. That's what software engineers do. Given the problem they create solutions. I feel that one of Sonar's biggest mistakes was letting their users solve problems for them instead of finding out what they are needing to do and it's become brimful of bad choices in many areas.

I have neither the time or inclination for this. Honest, I don't care that ctrl c is copy or ctrl v is paste or how the mouse works provided it meets the requirement.

For me this kind of thing is as flash as Sonar bolting in vsti's with every release. Matter of fact prv config is shown as a big feature of Sonar 8. It would just have to be in the minority for me. Sorry.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #116
airon

I'm all for a sensible design from the start. Reaper does let you customize your environment to a large degree, and this is simply enabling customization in the area of how the mouse/trackball/trackpad works in a DAW. Nobody has to use it, but quite a few engineers have asked for it, and many would use it.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #117
Reflected

Don't forget to vote: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=722
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #118
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I found the Sonar tool editor quite nice, but one thing niggled me lots. There wasn't an easy way to see which button/modifier combination does what after you assigned it. So, to see what combinations are left to be assigned or just have a look at how you assigned things resulted in clicking through all combinations until you found what you want.
I just learned from a recent thread that some kind user wrote a tool to show you a chart. Which is about the same situation as we face with the action window (damn, do I have a free modifier for "B" left or not?).

I'd rather have such a funtionality built in the tool editor (and in the action window).
Quite true. That's a problem with this kind of thing. So that would be good to have. Some kind of popup to show the assignments. However. I've seen the tool to which you refer and the whole prv config thing has so many combinations the chart is like an encyclopaedia. I gave it all up as a bad job and I thought it was ultra cool at first.

In case this hasn't been dealt with, I think we need to introduce cursors into this equation. Probably the ability to assign a cursor to an area action. If I can see the cursor change as I make my assignments and move into the different zones I will learn over time how I've set it up. Also maybe we can introduce tooltips somehow as memory joggers.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #119
Tallisman

I was gonna bump this... but obviously it is alive and still kicking!

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #120
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Hopefully in the Reaper 3.x era.

Shane
No worries Tallis, I just quoted myself.

Shane