Old 12-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #481
Reflected
Human being with feelings

10 years and we still don't have this feature.

look at the statistics:
Issue Type Elevated FR
Suggested Version 3.04
Users who would use this feature 686
Users who would not use this feature 4

I just don't get it.

devs?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 AM   #482
buckman

I think they should do just like Audacity as that’s the best way I can sum yon the area selection and audiosuite style effects on items.

Audacity does look good and it’s free!

However this with a destructive style setting if needed to sculpt audio would be great!

Alongside all of Reapers features it would be amazing and a pro tools killer!
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #483
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think they should do just like Audacity as that’s the best way I can sum yon the area selection and audiosuite style effects on items.
As far as I know, this a feature of every area selection tool of every music editing software, but yes, you should be able to apply FX/edits to the range only... however, as Reaper is non-destructive it would have to split the range first I assume.

Not only is A.S massively helpful for arranging and processing specific areas of items, you can also do stuff like this -

Notice the fade/trim handles, and how it auto-creates extra points when needed.

The only thing I don't like about Cubase's A.S is that it's limited to one range at a time, I'd rather it was non-contiguous (i.e more than one selection in different spots simultaneously) but still with the envelope editing functions that the cubase area selection provides. To be fair, if we could just get decent basic area selection then the rest could be handled with scripts I'm sure. Imagine Julian Sader's multitool script working on the selected area of envelope in the arrange page... would be crazy powerful.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #484
Reflected

many daws indeed have this feature
Old 12-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #485
Vagelis

12 years ago since this feature request was created and it sucks badly that we still don't have it. Every Daw except FL has AS, I really don't get the reason and that's why a couple of questions comes to mind.
Is it so hard to implement it natively? Would it break a million other things? Do the devs need to rewrite a bunch of code? Would it take a lot of time which the devs might not have available since fixing bugs and adding new features is a priority?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #486
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
12 years ago since this feature request was created and it sucks badly that we still don't have it. Every Daw except FL has AS, I really don't get the reason and that's why a couple of questions comes to mind.
Is it so hard to implement it natively? Would it break a million other things? Do the devs need to rewrite a bunch of code? Would it take a lot of time which the devs might not have available since fixing bugs and adding new features is a priority?
Sexan is apparently very close - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219705

He posted recently looking for some help to get it finished up. If I had any coding skills I'd gladly step up, but I don't. I agree it should be a native function, and I posted in that thread suggesting that the Devs step in at this point make it native. He has already done the heavy coding now, so it makes sense.

At least it looks like we will have Area selection soon, thanks to Sexan's hard work.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #487
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sexan is apparently very close - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219705

He posted recently looking for some help to get it finished up. If I had any coding skills I'd gladly step up, but I don't. I agree it should be a native function, and I posted in that thread suggesting that the Devs step in at this point make it native. He has already done the heavy coding now, so it makes sense.

At least it looks like we will have Area selection soon, thanks to Sexan's hard work.

Yes i 'm aware of Sexan's script, I even dropped a couple of ideas when he was adding features, but still we don't know how it's going to evolve and if it would break in future updates (just as his other script Track Versions did), that's why it should be a native function.
Also i hope if Sexan finish it, that it would bring some motivation to the devs to implement it natively and not to abandon this idea forever...
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #488
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
that's why it should be a native function.
word! +1
Old 04-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #489
Transputer

Bump :-)
Transputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #490
ferropop

Still not a peep on this hey? <3
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #491
svijayrathinam

+1 for this !! Pls developers
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #492
puddi

+1

I'll never not upvote this.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #493
SamuelBeckett

I would love to have this. It should at least be an option. I've gotten close with top/bottom mouse modifiers, but it feels a bit janky and doesn't have as good visual feedback as PT (the other main recording/editing software I use). I really like the way that area selections in PT invert the waveform/background color for the selected audio. It makes it incredibly obvious what is being selected. It would just be so much more clear (and thus, functional) from a visual design perspective with this simple option, and I think that would take it a long way (though not all the way).

One problem I have with the top/bottom mouse modifier setup is that it fails when the item is too zoomed out. This basically makes it so that I can only select and then not move if the item is zoomed out beyond some point. (I have the top of items set to select and the bottom of items set to move.) Needless to say, PT does not have this issue. This seems like a flat-out bug to me and I'm not sure where to report it... never reported a bug before, but I'll try to do that tonight.

Edit: is there still a system of upvoting (or whatever) feature requests, or is that no longer being used?
SamuelBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #494
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBeckett View Post

Edit: is there still a system of upvoting (or whatever) feature requests, or is that no longer being used?
My system since about 2009 has been to jump on any mention of Area Selection and objectively demonstrate the lunacy of not having it as core basic functionality present in every DAW since Cubase 1.0. My system has been working out splendidly as we can all see
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #495
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
My system since about 2009 has been to jump on any mention of Area Selection and objectively demonstrate the lunacy of not having it as core basic functionality present in every DAW since Cubase 1.0. My system has been working out splendidly as we can all see
I still honestly don't get it, so I'd welcome the demonstration.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #496
airon

Aaaaaaaand we got it.

Consider this DONE.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #497
Transputer

I have remembered Reaper is a different paradigm to Pro Tools so Razor Edit works (Alt and Right Click and drag) just feels very different. Thanks for Razor Edit all the same.
Transputer is offline   Reply With Quote