Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default help me with monitor placement

so I have my monitors is an ultra crappy spot at the moment.

see fig. 1:

and I will be moving them to the new stands area in that image. I am building my own speakers stands so I'm wondering...

- will backing them off the desk, and putting them at ear level be bad because of the stuff on the desk?

see fig. 2:

- should I put them up above the monitor and rack and tilt them down?
what are you're thoughts? see fig. 3:

pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
beingmf

So I guess the rectangle is the desk, not the room? If you are sure that the placement of the desk within the room is ok, you should just take some points into consideration:
- HF tweeter must be at ear height (don't angle the monitors vertically to achieve this!)
- monitors and listening position should be an equilateral triangle
- really pay attention to vertical or horizontal setup of the speakers! It's often a huge difference, more than you'd think.
- if you're not doing critical mastering work in your room, you simply don't need to and can't avoid reflective surfaces between monitors and listening position. Don't go mad about this. If you're very close to walls, put some foam where you can see the speakers in a mirror
- about your screen problem: if your speakers sound right when horizontal, you might get along with bass cones partly "covered" by the screen. Tweeters must absolutely be unhindered.
- and the most important: avoid corners!!!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
pixeltarian

Oh my! that's very helpful indeed. here's a little drawing of the room, if it changes anything:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
So I guess the rectangle is the desk, not the room? If you are sure that the placement of the desk within the room is ok, you should just take some points into consideration:
- HF tweeter must be at ear height (don't angle the monitors vertically to achieve this!)
- monitors and listening position should be an equilateral triangle
- really pay attention to vertical or horizontal setup of the speakers! It's often a huge difference, more than you'd think.
- if you're not doing critical mastering work in your room, you simply don't need to and can't avoid reflective surfaces between monitors and listening position. Don't go mad about this. If you're very close to walls, put some foam where you can see the speakers in a mirror
- about your screen problem: if your speakers sound right when horizontal, you might get along with bass cones partly "covered" by the screen. Tweeters must absolutely be unhindered.
- and the most important: avoid corners!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
beingmf

Interesting setup But not really bad IMO.
One critical area is probably the corner behind you. Since the reflections are doubled, you might consider some absorbers there, and on the wall left to you (maybe ceiling, too?).

The most important question though is: do you have the impression that the picture, acoustically speaking, is somehow out of balance? Is it difficult for you to mix, e.g. finding masking frequencies quickly, or decide about the amount of compression?
If no, I would just place the speakers (which ones, btw?) at ear height, angle them inwards a little, and see, er, listen, how easy it is to finish a mix – and how it translates in the end.

I made the (painful) experience that if you actually feel that acoustics are bad, it 99% true. If your mixes suck (in my case: too much muddy bass & too much top end due to transients sucked out by the room acoustics), you need to gradually improve the room. Or change your listening/mixing position. There's no other way, unfortunately.
(Now, I am pretty happy with my room: almost no right angles, wood everywhere, and two Basotect absorbers in the corners behind the bigger speakers. It was never as easy to mix as here...)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
pixeltarian

monitors: tannoy reveal 5a
what i notice most is that my monitors lack low end. I know some folks will tell you that you need 8" monitors for that, but I've heard good bass just fine out of these speakers when I was using them with my korg triton. what makes bass sound too thin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Interesting setup But not really bad IMO.
One critical area is probably the corner behind you. Since the reflections are doubled, you might consider some absorbers there, and on the wall left to you (maybe ceiling, too?).

The most important question though is: do you have the impression that the picture, acoustically speaking, is somehow out of balance? Is it difficult for you to mix, e.g. finding masking frequencies quickly, or decide about the amount of compression?
If no, I would just place the speakers (which ones, btw?) at ear height, angle them inwards a little, and see, er, listen, how easy it is to finish a mix – and how it translates in the end.

I made the (painful) experience that if you actually feel that acoustics are bad, it 99% true. If your mixes suck (in my case: too much muddy bass & too much top end due to transients sucked out by the room acoustics), you need to gradually improve the room. Or change your listening/mixing position. There's no other way, unfortunately.
(Now, I am pretty happy with my room: almost no right angles, wood everywhere, and two Basotect absorbers in the corners behind the bigger speakers. It was never as easy to mix as here...)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
monitors: tannoy reveal 5a
what i notice most is that my monitors lack low end. I know some folks will tell you that you need 8" monitors for that, but I've heard good bass just fine out of these speakers when I was using them with my korg triton. what makes bass sound too thin?
Ah, ok! I noticed the same with my Yamaha HS 50's when they're too close!
So it's either a question of listening distance or some wave cancelling from the corner.

If I were you, I'd plug long cables and move the speakers around. That way, you'll (more or less) easily hear where the issues are. What was different in terms of placement with the Triton?