Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-03-2019, 04:22 AM   #1
michal.ochedowski
Human being with feelings

Default Punch In/Out and track automation envelopes. Recording like in Ableton Live.

Hi. Today I've been struggling with one issue regarding Punch In/Out function when trying to record automation.
Here's what I do:
- I open empty project with single track. I arm that track.
- I load ReaEQ on this track.
- Record mode: normal. Automation mode: Touch.
I record a single MIDI item. At the same time I record track automation for Frequency fader in ReaEQ.
- While still recording I let go of Frequency fader. Automation envelope jumps back to the same position it had, before I started recording.

Up to this point everything works as expected.
Now let's say I need to make a correction in recorded envelope.

- I mark time selection for eg. two bars in the middle of the envelope. It's the portion I want to change.
- I set record mode to "time selection auto punch". Automation mode is still set to Touch.
- I set play cursor behind time selection.
- With armed track automation for Frequency fader I start recording.
- Of course as soon as I grab Frequency fader it records my every move. It doesn't matter that play cursor didn't cross Punch In yet.

Is there an option in Reaper that will not record fader movement until play cursor is between Punch In and Punch Out points? I mean option that will record only in between them.

So far I've tried:
"SWS/AW: Record Conditional (normal or time selection only)"
"SWS/AW: Record Conditional (normal, time selection or item selection)"
I tested it with Latch and Touch modes.
For the record my time selection and loop points are independent. I tried using loop points for Punch In/Out points, but it didn't change anything.

I started in Ableton Live. It has less complicated way of recording automation and utilizing Punch In/Out. It will not record any fader or knob movement before it reaches Punch In point. Also as soon as play cursor leaves marked loop area, it stops recording automation. That's what I'm after.
michal.ochedowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
michal.ochedowski

After 50 views on the forum and no reply, two things come to mind.
01. Solution to my problem is so simple, that it's not even worth mentioning.
02. It actually isn't possible in Reaper and no one is willing to admit it.
Either way, I'm hoping for some insight.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

It's just another of those reasons that Reaper's automation is wonky. In this situation where you're automating FX parameters (as opposed to track parameters like volume and Pan), you can get around it using MIDI Link and actually recording MIDI CCs either to the same track or to a second one that sends to the first. If you're using an external controller, you just record the MIDI coming from that. Otherwise, you'd have to use ReaControlMIDI (or similar) to generate the CCs, and Record - output MIDI. If you really want to do the automation from the original plug's own GUI, you could Link that to a slider on RCM. It gets a little complicated depending exactly how you do it, but it's not really that bad.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
michal.ochedowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It's just another of those reasons that Reaper's automation is wonky. In this situation where you're automating FX parameters (as opposed to track parameters like volume and Pan), you can get around it using MIDI Link and actually recording MIDI CCs either to the same track or to a second one that sends to the first. If you're using an external controller, you just record the MIDI coming from that. Otherwise, you'd have to use ReaControlMIDI (or similar) to generate the CCs, and Record - output MIDI. If you really want to do the automation from the original plug's own GUI, you could Link that to a slider on RCM. It gets a little complicated depending exactly how you do it, but it's not really that bad.
Thanks for your reply ashcat_lt. Unfortunately I don't know what you mean by "Link that to a slider on RCM". I appreciate the effort but I was looking for more elegant and simple solution. What you described looks to me like a workaround.
Anyway, thanks to kindness of one Reaper user I was lucky enough to find a fix to my problem.