Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
achase4u
Human being with feelings

Default Editing a brief, complete dropout in audio?

I am working on a project tracked elsewhere. All the drum mics have a dropout of audio about 900 samples long. What would be your method of fixing this audible hiccup?

I can't cut and paste from another section, as this is live drums without a tempo map in a jazz setting.

I have tried taking a small slice about 450 samples long on each side of it, and alt-dragging to stretch them together, though this is still obvious.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you,
achase4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
pepe44

Sounds like buffering issue during recording, unfortunately i dont know if you can really fix it. Can you drop some images of the waveform , or youtube vid with sound of your problem?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
achase4u

Couldn't get attachments to work.

Here's a link to a pic

https://app.box.com/s/yn7chbhamlkrjv50q7ry

It's shorter than I originally thought when I gained up the clip...
Old 12-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Mink99

While this is a "worst case" situation, when I had sth. similar with a bass track, I sampled the bass and re recorded the missing parts on the keyboard.

Maybe if you find isolated hits of bd, hh, and cymbal (as a minimum set) .

Alternative:

And it usually fails to insert only a small passage, just try to insert a 2 or 4 bar part. At least for a single part of 16 bars a tempo map should be created .
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by achase4u View Post
I have tried taking a small slice about 450 samples long on each side of it, and alt-dragging to stretch them together, though this is still obvious.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you,
Maybe your slices are too small? I usually find when stretching that i need to make a slice on each bar and pull them together that way so the stretch algorithm has more to work with. Although, I appreciate that might not work with drums.

You say you can't paste from another section. Is this purely down to the tempo map or bleed from instruments? You can always tempo map a section or the entire song but this is time consuming. Or slice a section and stretch it.

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...pping_with_SWS
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
pepe44

Reaper does not allow destructive edit, so you may have to choose another wav editor and try to re-write the waveform.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
achase4u

Thank you all for posting.

Perhaps the slices are too small as you say. I think this is the only point in the song where he plays like this - and the drumming is *very* improvised - except for the A section of the song(which the glitch isnt a part of) nothing is really repeated...
Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Fex

You can certainly reshape waveforms in REAPER. Some fading and stretching the good bits to fill the gap where the glitch was might do it.

Unless the drums are leaking over other tracks, an option might be to copy in a different bar, regardless of the difference in tempo, and stretch/shrink that bar to fit, as inertia suggested. You don't get to be true to the original performance, but you do get to save the recording.

It's not easy to answer your question without hearing the problem material....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #9
pepe44

Yes, but it does not allow you to re-write the waveform using a pencil tool, only fades and other methods. I find that the pencil tool method really helpful. Sometimes converters loose the clock or bad jitter might happen, the waveform gets written with errors, and translates to audio in click, pops and other artifacts.
But yes you can do with clip editing as well