Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Universal Audio USB Satellite with REAPER.

I've just purchased a second RME UFX for both my studio as an expansion and a new live rig I'm putting together and am seriously considering picking up a UAD Octo Satellite USB to run with it.

My aim is to be able to use this on two Win 10 systems: a laptop for live FOH & FB mixing and my studio PC for tracking and mixing.
When using it live, I'm planning to run Totalmix FX for the foldback mix (to avoid latency) and REAPER with UAD plugins for the FOH mix (where a tiny amount of latency isn't an issue).

Does anyone here use UAD plugins with REAPER? If so, how do you find them stability wise? Obviously this needs to be rock solid for live use.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
Dannii

Hmm... Seems UAD Satellite may not be an option for live use or for studio tracking with minimum latency. Apparently only the Apollo interfaces offer near zero latency when tracking....

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ile_site=false
Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Slotunes

Default UAD Satellite

Hello, I use an Apollo Twin USB and an Octo satellite and have no issues.Very stable and smooth thru Reaper.
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotunes View Post
Hello, I use an Apollo Twin USB and an Octo satellite and have no issues.Very stable and smooth thru Reaper.
What about latency through the Satellite? That's my main concern. Latency must be zero for live use.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Slotunes

Default UAD Satellite

Its very low, not 0, but Im getting 11ms, , of which I dont notice,which also dedpends upon which plugs your using.You should send an email to UAD and explain what you want to do,as they are fast at returning answers to questions and good guys all around! Good luck!
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
What about latency through the Satellite? That's my main concern. Latency must be zero for live use.
Latency zero is technically impossible. See the sticky thread in the "Live" subformum for more information and general optimizing suggestions.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Latency zero is technically impossible. See the sticky thread in the "Live" subformum for more information and general optimizing suggestions.
-Michael
Perhaps I should've been more specific there. My mistake. I was actually referring to just plugin latency rather then input to output latency.

I reckon I'm going to pass on the UAD idea for the time being. I've put together a good bunch of high quality, low CPU, zero latency plugins for live mixing that should work well. I've given the setup a couple of stress tests over the last couple of days and it has been rock solid so far.

My primary plugins for live use so far are Plugin Alliance bx_Console N channel strip, Valhalla Reverbs and the new Valhalla Delay. For system tuning (FOH & FB), I'll be running Sonarworks Reference 4 in zero latency mode.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotunes View Post
Its very low, not 0, but Im getting 11ms, , of which I dont notice,which also dedpends upon which plugs your using.You should send an email to UAD and explain what you want to do,as they are fast at returning answers to questions and good guys all around! Good luck!
Much appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts and experience here. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
See the sticky thread in the "Live" subformum for more information and general optimizing suggestions.
-Michael
Some really good info in that section. Great work with the detailed posts and information!