Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default Can I change the position of 8va in the midi editor?

hey brothers

is it possible to change the default position of octaves in the midi editor's piano roll? (like changing the default C3 to somewhere else... etc)

Some vsts like EW Play have their own range of octaves different from Reaper's.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
solger

In Reaper, check out the MIDI octave name display offset option under Preferences > Media > MIDI.
Depending on the plugin, there might also be a similar option available for doing the MIDI offset adjustment on the plugin itself.

Otherwise, using a (JS) MIDI Transpose plugin on the Track can also be a viable option.

Last edited by solger; 04-26-2019 at 05:17 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
hopi

solger's pointer is correct... humans being what they are [unable to agree on anything] some say C3 is middle C and other say C4 is middle C, ...see? anyway you can adapt to taste with that pref's setting

another helpful thing is to make your own note name files...
just text files really... you can show those on the piano keys and\or as named notes view...

easy to create... default is by dbl clking a piano key and typing what you want... but I changed the hot key for it "N"... cuz dbl clk was not as reliable.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In Reaper, check out the MIDI octave name display offset option under Preferences > Media > MIDI.
Depending on the plugin, there might also be a similar option available for doing the MIDI offset adjustment on the plugin itself.

Otherwise, using a (JS) MIDI Transpose plugin on the Track can also be a viable option.
I'm late, sorry...
Perfect. Thanks a lot bro!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
solger's pointer is correct... humans being what they are [unable to agree on anything] some say C3 is middle C and other say C4 is middle C, ...see? anyway you can adapt to taste with that pref's setting
even worse calling the octaves from lows to highs like "CC, C, c, c1, c2, c3, c4, c5" or even "AAA, CC, C, c, c1, c2, c3, c4, c5"

Quote:
another helpful thing is to make your own note name files...
just text files really... you can show those on the piano keys and\or as named notes view...

easy to create... default is by dbl clking a piano key and typing what you want... but I changed the hot key for it "N"... cuz dbl clk was not as reliable.
Absolutely! Always
Dont mean to start any discussion about other daws but, I'm a FL studio user and it's so annoying when I cannot name the notes in the keyboard, among other funcionalities. Still, they claim themselves to have the best midi editor in the market.. Reaper's got the best midi editor in my opinion, it's just not sexy
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saresu.bass View Post
... Still, they claim themselves to have the best midi editor in the market.. Reaper's got the best midi editor in my opinion, it's just not sexy
they do have a good one in some respects, and the reaper one is growing better even as we speak....

a lot of people don't like it at first but eventually if they keep going they discover it can be pretty nice by adding some scripts from Reapack and using toolbars to have various actions always handy...

and using mouse mod's instead of having go clk an icon for insert or erase, etc. is IMO way better...

Also there will be some kewl improvements to the cc lanes pretty soon.

As with all things 'reaper'.... The tools are there to customize it to your own desires... but it does take learning how to do that.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
saresu.bass

Quote:
there will be some kewl improvements to the cc lanes pretty soon.
That's gonna be lovely.

Quote:
ts with all things 'reaper'.... The tools are there to customize it to your own desires... but it does take learning how to do that.

and that's one of the main reasons I stick to Reaper... but this "customizing" mindset isn't for everyone.

But yeah. I should not complain, FL studio is very fun as a creative tool.