Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
togggof
Human being with feelings

Default vst recording volume flutter

help when i try recording my plugin the volume suddenly goes from smooth loud to quiet flutter the very moment i push record
,this is not a buffer problem :{ please help

Last edited by togggof; 05-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
togggof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #2
solger

Which plugin exactly (what's the name)?

Two things to check in general:
  • If the track is automatically muted, then the volume might perhaps be somehow exceeding the preset threshold (Preferences > Audio > Mute/Solo)
  • Otherwise, is perhaps some kind of MIDI message sent (as example, something like CC7) which might change the volume value **

** Incoming MIDI events can be checked by putting a MIDI Logger on the Track before the plugin (like using the [Show Log] window in ReaControlMIDI - shown around 2:00 in the video: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#0evLmpNjXDw).
Another option is to check the MIDI events of the recorded MIDI Item in the MIDI Editor via View > Mode: Event List.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
togggof

Default as above

hello thankyou.....but i can play fine into a designated track set with my midi keyboard and the little record monitor on all sounds fine till i hit record so no cc is causing a problem until i hit record then it suddenly is suppressed, thankyou for your help ill watch your video ,this upsets me as i cannot record any of my plugin synths etc. your idea that it exceeds prest thresh hold is interesting ,how can i find where automatic muteing is being forced?

i have turned specific volume down of individual plugins, still same reaction as i press record.

Last edited by togggof; 05-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
togggof

Default as above

aha yes mute/solo option was too low thankyou, now finally please tell me as im only seeing midi info as little lines as it records how do i set it so i see normal audio spectral lines? and i worked out how to set a track recording below to carry on past the track above and not just suddenly endwhere the track above ends as i record but im makeing notes? so if you could remind me because i failed to jot it down, thankyou again

Last edited by togggof; 05-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by togggof View Post
... now finally please tell me as im only seeing midi info as little lines as it records how do i set it so i see normal audio spectral lines? and i worked out how to set a track recording below to carry on past the track above and not just suddenly endwhere the track above ends as i record but im makeing notes? so if you could remind me because i failed to jot it down, thankyou again
If I understand the question correctly, you want to record the audio output from a plugin, right?

In this case, the Track setup can look like this:
  • Track #1: contains the plugin (which is triggered by the MIDI Item/notes) and has a Send to Track #2
  • Track #2: Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button to select an appropriate Record: output (stereo) or (mono) option (in order to record the Audio output coming from Track 1 through the Send/Receive): https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#HqKjC0W9eLE

As a general side note: in case you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php). Lots of useful info there for getting started.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
togggof

Default as above

hello sorry for delay thankyou i have now solved it thenks to other advice it was a forced volume reduction in prefferencs, just need reminding again how while recording a second or third track how do i stop the track suddenly stopping that record just as it gets to end of the track above i.e 1? i have corrected this but dont know how i did. as reaper is set to do this when freshly installed. Thankyou again for solveing the plugin volume problem.