Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
1dell
Human being with feelings

Default Item locking

I have some very basic questions about DAWing. Tell me, when working in a DAW is it standard to lock every item? You know that little pad lock thingy in the corner. Should I love items to their present position? I know it's no big deal but I'm just trying to figure out how others operate.

thanks for any answers.
1dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dell
when working in a DAW is it standard to lock every item?
Not in my opinion.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Till

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dell View Post
Should I love items to their present position?
lol, total Freudian slip
love is not even close to lock in terms of typing...

"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." - Bob Brozman

My Jesusonic FX - Xenakios' Extension

REAPER FR Tracker - what is that?

The "How Stuff works in REAPER": video blog
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Kihoalu

Aloha,

I tend to want to lock everything (in time) using the new individual item locks. A lot of my projects are live recordings that have to have the tracks and items stay in phase with each other. However, there is always a delay on the ambient channels which I will sometimes remove by shifting all the ambient items forward by the amount of the delay. Since my recordings are long (2.5 hours typical), I take advantage of Reapers ability to break the recordings into segments and so the ambient tracks are contained in multiple items.

To compensate for the delay I have to move each item on the ambient tracks separately. (I could delay the direct console tracks instead but there are many more of them than ambient and I need to be able to SEE the time alignment of the tracks throughout the recording).

So, what I do is lock everything with the individual item locks and then unlock each item (segment), move it and then re-lock it. I typically have to move 10 to 20 items and it takes about 1/2 hour to complete the process. Before the individual item locking capability this process was nearly impossible for me as I would accidentally move an item when everything was unlocked (and sometimes not notice that I had done so) and then have to start the process pretty much all over again.

Now, everything stays locked except when I need to move it.

I then go thru to process of applying envelopes and mixing down each cut, usually about 20 to 25 cuts per recording.

Does that give you any insight?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
1dell

LOL!!! Yeah I'm just noticing that. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
lol, total Freudian slip
love is not even close to lock in terms of typing...
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
To compensate for the delay I have to move each item on the ambient tracks separately.
If relevant to that - I'm not entirely clear - I hope you are using Reaper's ripple editing options. I tend not to bother with locking as if ripple editing is correctly set, everything should stay in line automatically. And if I'm cutting stuff out I use the "delete selected area moving later items" option (or whatever it is) which again, makes everything including envelopes hold together.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Kihoalu

Quote:
- I hope you are using Reaper's ripple editing options.
Nope...

But this is a good suggestion, providing it does not move any other tracks (which I MUST keep locked in any case to prevent accidental movement... as I accidentally done many times).
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
1dell

Ok great. Ripple editing is still a mystery to me so I tread carefully. Not quite sure how it would be helpful to me. Talisman created a video about it on youtube. I guess I need to check that out again. I'm sure it would probably make life simpler for me, but i turned it off when it was interfering with something I was trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
If relevant to that - I'm not entirely clear - I hope you are using Reaper's ripple editing options. I tend not to bother with locking as if ripple editing is correctly set, everything should stay in line automatically. And if I'm cutting stuff out I use the "delete selected area moving later items" option (or whatever it is) which again, makes everything including envelopes hold together.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Kihoalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
I hope you are using Reaper's ripple editing options.
Works Great! This will save me some time. To test, I broke a demo track into multiple segments (items), locked them all with item-lock and then deleted some time from the first segment (With Ripple-Edit Single Track turned on). They stayed locked but all of them shifted forward by the amount I deleted in the first segment. I will go and try it on one of my live files next, should save me 1/2 hour in the overall 20 hours it takes for each recording mix-down.

Thanks!...