Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
jrbowen81
Human being with feelings

Default Missing files!

So, I just got a new computer and I've moved all my files for Reaper over to it. The problem is that every time I open a project, it shows that several files are "missing", so then I have to browse for each of the missing files every time. I'm no computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so I need help figuring out what to do. I'm not sure what to change in the file "address" or "location", whatever it's called.
jrbowen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
toleolu

What is the full path name i.e. C:\Reaper Files\Filename\etc. etc. that Reaper is using to find the old files, and what is the full path name of the files where they are now on your new computer?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
jrbowen81

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
What is the full path name i.e. C:\Reaper Files\Filename\etc. etc. that Reaper is using to find the old files, and what is the full path name of the files where they are now on your new computer?
I’ll have to take another look tomorrow when I get home from work. I’ll let you know exactly what it says. I think we’re on the right track though. I get so confused with file path names. It seems to be doing this for several files on all of my songs. So obviously something got mixed up in the transition from one computer to the next.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
jrbowen81

Ok, for example, here's a missing file in the project I just opened.

The following file could not be found:
C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Native Instruments\Reaktor5\Library\Audio Files\PlanetCalledEarth.wav

In project:
C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects\This World is not Your Home\This World is not Your Home.RPP
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
jrbowen81

Here's another:

The following file could not be found:
C:\Users\Jeremy\Desktop\Jeremy Ryan\Jeremy Ryan EP Stems\Jeremy Ryan EP Extracted Stems\Resurrecting JStems\Resurrecting Stems\Resurrecting_Drums.wav

In project:
C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects\Performance Mixes\Resurrecting_PerformanceMix\Resurrecting_Per formanceMix.RPP
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
toleolu

So on the new computer, are you able to locate the files:

PlanetCalledEarth.wav and Resurrecting_Drums.wav?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
jrbowen81

Quote:
So on the new computer, are you able to locate the files:

PlanetCalledEarth.wav and Resurrecting_Drums.wav?
I browsed for Resurrecting_Drums.wav and found it just now. Haven’t looked for the other yet. But it seems that I can browse for each file. I just have to do that every time I open a project which is super annoying.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
toleolu

Yeah, that does kind of suck, but once you get those new file locations updated and you save the project, next time you open that project Reaper should know the new location.

I don't know of any utility or script that will allow you to upate everything at once, maybe someone else on the forum will have some ideas on that.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
toleolu

There's a couple of things you can do, if you're not doing them already, that will help you keep all your Reaper files organized so if you ever have to copy things again, you can avoid something like this happening in the future.

The first is in Preferences under General then Paths. The first item is "Default path to save new projects:" If you'll put a directory location here, when you save a project, Reaper will automatically put the saved project there. In your case, that path would look something like this:

C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects

That's just an example based on what you posted earlier, you can create any path you want. By specifying a path for your projects, Reaper will always put your project file(s) in that location.

There's a few other default paths for rendering and recording that you might want to take a look at.

Next, there are a couple of check boxes that appear in the window that opens when you save a new project. One is:

Create subdirectory for project

If you check this box, Reaper will create a new folder in your default path for saved projects that will have the same name as the project. So if you save a new project called "New Song" Reaper will create a folder named "New Song" in your default directory and put the project file in that folder, something like this:

C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects\New Song\New Song.rpp

Below that first check box there are two more check boxes to either move or copy all media to that project folder. By checking one of those boxes, you'll have all the media files associated with your project "New Song" located in the "New Song" folder. The difference between "move" and "copy" is if you have a file located in another folder somewhere and you use that file in your project and you select "move", that file will be moved from the folder it was in, and be put in your new project folder, so that file will no longer appear in that original folder. Copy, on the other hand, will just make a copy of that file and put it in your project folder, so you'll have the same file in two different locations on your computer.

I seem to recall someone mentioning in a past thread that there was a setting in Preferences to do the file copy automatically. I looked for that setting this morning but couldn't find it, perhaps someone else here can respond with where that setting is, or I could possibly be mistaken about having read that.

I realize that this is of no help with respect to your current problem, but hopefully this will help you better organize your project files so something like what you're going through now doesn't happen again.

Good Luck
Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
jrbowen81

Man, I think what you’ve said so far will be a big help! I do already have some of those settings in place already, as far as creating subdirectories and whatnot, but I’ll have to see what other ones I had checked off. If nothing else, this will make all future projects less of a pain. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #11
jrbowen81

Quote:
Yeah, that does kind of suck, but once you get those new file locations updated and you save the project, next time you open that project Reaper should know the new location.

I don't know of any utility or script that will allow you to upate everything at once, maybe someone else on the forum will have some ideas on that.
Ok, so I apologize that I’m having to ask, but once I’ve browsed for the files, how do I update the file paths to the new locations? I can’t seem to find a way. Bear in mind, you may have to explain this in the same way that you would to someone who is brand new to computers in general.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
toleolu

If you browsed to the new file location and it's in your project now, just save the project. Next time you open that project, Reaper will remember the new location.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
jrbowen81

Quote:
If you browsed to the new file location and it's in your project now, just save the project. Next time you open that project, Reaper will remember the new location.
Wow, I feel like a dummy. Turns out I was getting all the way up to that point before, but I wasn’t saving it. I was starting to panic and get overwhelmed with frustration. Thanks so much!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
toleolu

No worries brother, we've all been there.

Glad you got things working.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:42 AM   #15
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbowen81 View Post
Wow, I feel like a dummy. Turns out I was getting all the way up to that point before, but I wasn’t saving it. I was starting to panic and get overwhelmed with frustration. Thanks so much!
Hi.

Your best bet going forward is to set your default project settings so that all audio you record is saved to a project sub-folder. To do this, go to File, Project Settings (or press Alt-Enter) enter 'Audio' in the 'Path to save media files..' box then click the 'Save as default project settings' button on the bottom right.

If you import or drag some audio files into your projects rather than record them, then, when you save the project, check the 'Copy all media into project directory' option. This will ensure that all media files (recorded or imported) will be in the project/audio folder.

This approach also makes backing up projects much easier - you just copy the project folder :-)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote