Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default How is the faderport working for you in reaper?

If you have a faderport, oh have used one with reaper, I have a few questions for you.

How easy was it to setup?

Do you get all the functionality you would want out of it with reaper, i.e. all the buttons on it do what they say they should do?

Do you find it useful for mixing?

I'm not sure I would be satisfied with just one fader, and moving it, or how well that would work, with scrolling through tracks.

If I select a track in reaper, will the faderport control that, and vice versa?

Can I map new commands to faderport buttons?

Are there any other pluses or minuses I should know about?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
If you have a faderport, oh have used one with reaper, I have a few questions for you.

Couldn't have been easier. It's supported directly so it's much better than using HUI or a similar protocol.

Quote:
Do you get all the functionality you would want out of it with reaper, i.e. all the buttons on it do what they say they should do?
Pretty much. The panning knob is useless but it is in any other DAW as well.

But the thing that makes this great (and it's the reason I decided NOT to buy the Faderport 8) is that you really don't want to be using the buttons on the unit. There's not enough of them.

If you want to ignore your screen and JUST use a controller, this is not the unit for you. But if you know that you're going to look at your screen and use the mouse for most things, you want a controller that allows you to NEVER look at it. Click a track, grab your fader and keep using REAPER as though you don't have a controller. You simply have a fader in addition to your keyboard and mouse.

Quote:
Can't mix without it.

Quote:
I'm not sure I would be satisfied with just one fader, and moving it, or how well that would work, with scrolling through tracks.
You may have to get used to it. I used to have two different controllers with 24 faders and this is different. You can't grab more than one. But being able to only look at one screen (the computer and not the controller) has made up that difference for me.

Quote:
Yes. I assume by vice versa you mean you can select tracks on the unit and you can but it's much faster to just click on the track you want to control.

Quote:
I think PC users can. Search the forum for people who have done this. As I said, I never look at my unit. Maybe I'll hit play on it sometimes but I don't really use any buttons.

Quote:
The plus is that you now have a great fader. And why I say great is that many silimar units at 10x the price have terrible faders. I owned a 24 channel Pro Control (24k) and the fader in this feels just as good.

The only con I've found is that REAPER seems to get confused when you move tracks.

For instance, if you grab track 10 and move it to slot 7, if you move the fader it won't control that track. It will still control what is in slot 10 now. So you just have to select another track and track 7 again to reset it.

As I said, the panning knob is uselss which is a shame. But it's not a REAPER issue.

I do wish that it could control other faders (sends) but I'm not sure whose fault that is. I don't think it was designed to do that.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
grinder

I have the first version
I do not use this to it's potential and only
use the Faderport for recording acoustic guitar and vocals
remotely.
The faderport will delete files you think have not cut it for you immediately
after you have recorded them and do not have the "Do you wish to delete or
keep" control on in Reaper however the button switch is such that you have no idea whether the
signal got passed through to Reaper or not thus I got a heap of tracks on tracks.
All I do now is just record get up and see whether I made the grade or not. (I can not see my computer screen from my recording room)
There is a lesson in this it makes you try to be a one take wonder which is a good way to be.
I keep things simple it has been a godsend just for this though.

Grinder

Last edited by grinder; 10-16-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: To get page back to smaller width
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Couldn't have been easier. It's supported directly so it's much better than using HUI or a similar protocol...

...Pretty much. The panning knob is useless but it is in any other DAW as well.

...As I said, the panning knob is uselss which is a shame. But it's not a REAPER issue.
I don't know if i am getting that: you mean useless as not working or worthless? It works fine for me. I am on Mac btw.

If you use this user´s awesome tweaks and configurable features: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036 you must change within the/an editor the pan mode to 0, otherwise pan knob by default is used to navigate between tracks.

Best
Ed
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood75 View Post
I don't know if i am getting that: you mean useless as not working or worthless? It works fine for me. I am on Mac btw.

If you use this user´s awesome tweaks and configurable features: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036 you must change within the/an editor the pan mode to 0, otherwise pan knob by default is used to navigate between tracks.

Best
Ed
I hadn't realized that this worked in Mac as well.

Awesome!!!

Thank you
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
RustyAxe

I found it to be useless. I still had to use the mouse for routine functions soit was just distraction to have to move back and forth from FaderPort to mouse. I sold it for $60 and haven't missed it a bit.
RustyAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I found it to be useless. I still had to use the mouse for routine functions soit was just distraction to have to move back and forth from FaderPort to mouse. I sold it for $60 and haven't missed it a bit.
Yeah. That was kinda my point. It's a small controller. There's no way in can replace your mouse. As I mentioned, I had a 24k Pro Control with 24 faders and even that didn't come close to allowing me to not use the mouse and keyboard.

But if a real fader is important to you (I have had one since day one) this is a life saver.

And the best part is that if it breaks, you buy another one.

But if you're someone that can draw automation or use a mouse or mouse-wheel, yeah. You don't need this.

As far as moving back and forth, this is my set up with a track pad and I slide over to the faderport as needed.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
edwood75

Quote:
I hadn't realized that this worked in Mac as well.

Awesome!!!

Thank you
You are welcome.
Yes its works and you can edit the knobs or the buttons that are not in use or that you prefer to do different actions using an editor. I just mapped the punch button to toggle between the record modes, etc.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Couldn't have been easier. It's supported directly so it's much better than using HUI or a similar protocol.

Pretty much. The panning knob is useless but it is in any other DAW as well.

But the thing that makes this great (and it's the reason I decided NOT to buy the Faderport 8) is that you really don't want to be using the buttons on the unit. There's not enough of them.

If you want to ignore your screen and JUST use a controller, this is not the unit for you. But if you know that you're going to look at your screen and use the mouse for most things, you want a controller that allows you to NEVER look at it. Click a track, grab your fader and keep using REAPER as though you don't have a controller. You simply have a fader in addition to your keyboard and mouse.

Can't mix without it.

You may have to get used to it. I used to have two different controllers with 24 faders and this is different. You can't grab more than one. But being able to only look at one screen (the computer and not the controller) has made up that difference for me.

Yes. I assume by vice versa you mean you can select tracks on the unit and you can but it's much faster to just click on the track you want to control.

I think PC users can. Search the forum for people who have done this. As I said, I never look at my unit. Maybe I'll hit play on it sometimes but I don't really use any buttons.

The plus is that you now have a great fader. And why I say great is that many silimar units at 10x the price have terrible faders. I owned a 24 channel Pro Control (24k) and the fader in this feels just as good.

The only con I've found is that REAPER seems to get confused when you move tracks.

For instance, if you grab track 10 and move it to slot 7, if you move the fader it won't control that track. It will still control what is in slot 10 now. So you just have to select another track and track 7 again to reset it.

As I said, the panning knob is uselss which is a shame. But it's not a REAPER issue.

I do wish that it could control other faders (sends) but I'm not sure whose fault that is. I don't think it was designed to do that.
Thanks for the great reply.

I had 2 followup questions, this answered one of them:

Quote:
Yeah.

As far as moving back and forth, this is my set up with a track pad and I slide over to the faderport as needed.
I was thinking it might be cool to have a trackball somehow easily integrated to the faderport or something like that. But, I don't imagine I would use it that frequently anyway. I would only really want it for programming automation I think.

Which actually brings me to a couple other questions, can I assign the fader to work as a midi CC controller? I would love to be able to automate midi CC that way, quickly and easily with the midi learn feature that plugins usually have.

Maybe that script or whatever that karbo and company worked on could do that.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-16-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Sound asleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:

Best
Ed
This looks amazing. That would let me really tweak all the buttons and functions to work best for my specific workflow.

I'm still not sure if I could use the fader to control midi CC data though, it looks like I can control FX parameters though, but I think I need to first map them to a reaper FX control slot, which kind of sucks, but at least I can do it, not sure how easily I could do it though. I would really want to select the parameter with my mouse I think, and then use the fader.

I'm thinking for things like violin swells and decays, or maybe cutoffs for synths or stuff like that.

But that's not too bad, because I do have a midi controller with knobs on it.

That looks pretty cool though, thanks for posting it.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
serr

Quote:

Works right out of the box with no setup in OSX.

Quote:
Do you get all the functionality you would want out of it with reaper,
No, but I was aware of the limitations when I bought it. Works exactly as advertised.

Quote:
i.e. all the buttons on it do what they say they should do?
Yes.

Quote:
For live sound gigs yes. Rarely use it in a studio setting.

Quote:
Me either, but I use it for a selectable fader.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Nope. There IS a hacked driver to be found on this very forum that extends the control surface functionality. But it's still only able to be used as a "control surface" and not a "MIDI controller".

Quote:
The "control surface" only and not a "MIDI controller" thing is the big restriction.
The pan knob is a continuous controller and thus absolutely useless for mixing.

If you really need a selectable motorized fader for a small portable control surface setup, this will do it. If you don't specifically need that, it will seem like an expensive toy.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Nope. There IS a hacked driver to be found on this very forum that extends the control surface functionality. But it's still only able to be used as a "control surface" and not a "MIDI controller".

The "control surface" only and not a "MIDI controller" thing is the big restriction.
The pan knob is a continuous controller and thus absolutely useless for mixing.
I am not sure if i am understanding what you mean correctly. Maybe not for midi but you can map different functions to it. Just did that.
Good for automation though. Despite being continuous, it stops at the pan threshold. I don't use really for heavy mixing, just for some volume adjustments and mainly for automation. I also mapped with shift for scrubbing audio which is also handy for what i do.
I could live without it, of course, but it is very handy for some tasks.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
There IS a hacked driver to be found on this very forum that extends the control surface functionality. But it's still only able to be used as a "control surface" and not a "MIDI controller".
Not to be pedantic but "hacked driver" is a misleading term here. It's a Reaper specific driver which is an extension of the original driver Justin wrote called CSurf. IOW, no CSurf, no Faderport regardless of OS or what Presonus provides.

What is important here is that there is no Presonus driver involved here other than the one that lets either OS see the unit on the USB buss as a MIDI device.

As far as working out of the box, Justin wrote a handful of basic functions just to get it legally working in Reaper, everything in FaderportXT is adding to that same work.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2016 at 12:19 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
I am not sure if i am understanding what you mean correctly. Maybe not for midi but you can map different functions to it. Just did that.
All it means is you can't assign it as a MIDI device and learn a parameter (actually you sort of can but no reason to do it that way), otherwise, it is a MIDI device internally. Every command for every button/fader is a MIDI control number which Reaper translates to actions so you can make it do almost anything you wish.

This is why we extended it so you can assign almost any button to any Reaper action and faders to automation lanes and so on.

At this point I'd even consider the default extremely substandard to the extended version. Albeit with some personal bias, I'd say it is pretty much true.

Edit: I even have lights in my studio that turn red/green/white on record/play/stop but that is a hack.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
All it means is you can't assign it as a MIDI device and learn a parameter (actually you sort of can but no reason to do it that way), otherwise, it is a MIDI device internally. Every command for every button/fader is a MIDI control number which Reaper translates to actions so you can make it do almost anything you wish.
I guessed so but i didn't want to affirm it. Actually i just resurrected my faderport (it was just laying around) and mainly because of you guys and i remember reading something similar when i bought it many years ago.

Quote:
This is why we extended it so you can assign almost any button to any Reaper action and faders to automation lanes and so on.
Right. Like i said: just mapped it to my needs. Really like how you can change the resolution for shorter or longer throws and the ability to update the controller status on the fly.

Quote:
At this point I'd even consider the default extremely substandard to the extended version. Albeit with some personal bias, I'd say it is pretty much true.
OHHH i totally agree with you. When i reinstalled it using the standard version i was like...errrrr ok, looks good but the mojo comes with your version.

Quote:
Edit: I even have lights in my studio that turn red/green/white on record/play/stop but that is a hack.
Oh c´mon!!! thats a different league!

Great work guys!!! Really appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
G-Sun

working good here.
A few quirks though, maybe it's old.

Only thing I miss is display with track-number/name
and time/bar.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post

Only thing I miss is display with track-number/name
and time/bar.
Not to disagree with you (we all have our needs) but this is what I like about the Faderport as opposed to the Faderport 8.

Once you start looking at the unit for anything but a fader, you will quickly see how limited all of these units are.

I'm looking at a 27" screen for REAPER which shows everything we wish a controller could hope to show.

YMMV
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #18
jakechec

For some reason I can map all the buttons from faderport but not the slider!!?? Each Time I click ADD and then slide the fader its does not register under the actions menu. Same with PAN knob, are these under a different menu? It works fine with Ableton Live. PLEASE HELP

Last edited by jakechec; 10-16-2016 at 08:11 PM.
jakechec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #19
G-Sun

Quote:
Not to disagree with you (we all have our needs) but this is what I like about the Faderport as opposed to the Faderport 8.
Tried using the Faderport for remote control tracking
Old 10-17-2016, 05:34 AM   #20
Twangothan

Works really well for me. I particularly use it for writing automation especially bring in out points of interest in the mix - drum fills, swells of guitar etc. Much easier than with a mouse, though I still use the mouse for fine tuning sometimes. It all mapped easily and works well.

Something odd with this post though - the formatting has gone mad. Is it that big image?

Last edited by Twangothan; 10-17-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #21
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
Something odd with this post though - to formatting has gone mad. Is it that big image?
After their death, there's a special room for all those who post too big images on forums.
They all have to draw stamp images of Miss Trunchbull until they faint of exhaustion.

Last edited by G-Sun; 10-17-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #22
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Yes. That's a different use. Thanks
Old 10-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #23
jakechec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
Works really well for me. I particularly use it for writing automation especially bring in out points of interest in the mix - drum fills, swells of guitar etc. Much easier than with a mouse, though I still use the mouse for fine tuning sometimes. It all mapped easily and works well.

Something odd with this post though - to formatting has gone mad. Is it that big image?
How did you map the slider? It is not working for me. However all the play/stop buttons work.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #24
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
After their death, there's a special room for all those who post to big images on forums.
They all have to draw stamp images of Miss Trunchbull until they faint of exhaustion.
ooops. Sorry. Fixed
Old 10-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #25
drichard

My biggest use of the Faderport is also as a remote control. I do use it for fader automation, but not much else. I agree with Kenny, with all of the info onscreen the display doesn't add much.

Quote:
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
Kenny Gioia

Aren't there Apps for remote control recording?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #27
jakechec

Hey folks, any help with my mapping issue? It really is quite odd...
Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakechec View Post
Hey folks, any help with my mapping issue? It really is quite odd...
Which driver are you using, the default or the one here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

If the XT version, have you been through that post/threads? Otherwise, I don't quite understand the explanation of the problem you are having but likely my misinterpretation since I haven't touched the code since the_nimaj took it over from me.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #29
jakechec

Quote:
Which driver are you using, the default or the one here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

If the XT version, have you been through that post/threads? Otherwise, I don't quite understand the explanation of the problem you are having but likely my misinterpretation since I haven't touched the code since the_nimaj took it over from me.
Thanks for this, no driver yet plug and play - Reaper shows the faderport under devices. I am able to map all the buttons on the faderport except the slider and pan knob. Very weird.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks for this, no driver yet plug and play - Reaper shows the faderport under devices. I am able to map all the buttons on the faderport except the slider and pan knob. Very weird.
A few FYI sanity checks...

You need to add it as a control surface (under Control Surfaces) not as a MIDI device (under MIDI Devices). The latter will seem to work but not really.

In the control surface options you add it and set the MIDI in/out to Faderport.

Beyond that.... the stock driver will only change volume of the selected track(s) if memory serves. If you want more than that and the ability to assign buttons to actions the right way you need the XT version in the thread I linked. As an FYI, the features available in each DAW are up to the DAW not the Faderport which is why how it works changes between DAWs. We wrote the XT version as an enhancement to the default Reaper support.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
drichard

I record in a home studio quite often. Being able to stand several feet away from my workstation and Record is all I need. I'm not sure what value an app would add.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #32
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I record in a home studio quite often. Being able to stand several feet away from my workstation and Record is all I need. I'm not sure what value an app would add.
That refers to remote desktop apps. Install a remote desktop app on your iThing or android device and remote control your computer.

This bypasses everything/anything proprietary. You remote control your computer and whatever you choose to run on it (eg. Reaper).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #33
edwood75

Quote:
Hey Richard, i use TouchOSC. Among many other things, it allows you to do that.

Best
E
Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #34
jakechec

Quote:
A few FYI sanity checks...

You need to add it as a control surface (under Control Surfaces) not as a MIDI device (under MIDI Devices). The latter will seem to work but not really.

In the control surface options you add it and set the MIDI in/out to Faderport.

Beyond that.... the stock driver will only change volume of the selected track(s) if memory serves. If you want more than that and the ability to assign buttons to actions the right way you need the XT version in the thread I linked. As an FYI, the features available in each DAW are up to the DAW not the Faderport which is why how it works changes between DAWs. We wrote the XT version as an enhancement to the default Reaper support.
I see, never owned a "control surface" before, only MIDI controllers. thx!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #35
Twangothan

Quote:
How did you map the slider? It is not working for me. However all the play/stop buttons work.
I didn't do anything - I plugged it in and it worked! And that's how I like it. �� I think a few buttons I don't use don't work but most do. I have some studio time tomorrow so I'll test it fully. I find it particularly useful too when I'm standing up singing or playing and want to use the transport - easier to hit a button than fiddle about with the mouse.

Re your last post Jake, I identified it as a control surface. Very cool when the fader moves about on its own.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #36
Sound asleep

Quote:
Ya, I use OSC for that, and it works great. You can also design your own interface without too much trouble, or at least modify some existing ones. That does what I need. Let's me know which track is selected, and let's me play and record, and modify track and master volume, and a couple other things if I want. It also lights up, which is good for me in my booth, and it is wireless.

But it's lousy for automation.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #37
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Ya, I use OSC for that, and it works great. You can also design your own interface without too much trouble, or at least modify some existing ones. That does what I need. Let's me know which track is selected, and let's me play and record, and modify track and master volume, and a couple other things if I want. It also lights up, which is good for me in my booth, and it is wireless.

Why are you automating remotely?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #38
drichard

Right now I don't think I need any more than what the Faderport gives me, and I do like the feel of physical buttons over a touch screen. But it's nice to know I have options, so I appreciate the input.

Quote:
Hey Richard, i use TouchOSC. Among many other things, it allows you to do that.

Best
E
Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #39
edwood75

Quote:
Right now I don't think I need any more than what the Faderport gives me, and I do like the feel of physical buttons over a touch screen. But it's nice to know I have options, so I appreciate the input.
Yes me too but i don't use one over the other. I prefer physical faders any day. I use TouchOS for sound spatialization, interactive stuff or for live remote control.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #40
G-Sun

Quote:

Do you have undo and time/beat? App? or Browser?