Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSurroundPan - reaorganize Parameter List

ReaSurroundPan , what a great plugin for surround mixes. I love using it, especially with control sources such as knobs, faders and touchscreens.

That's not as easy as it sounds however.

The plugin changes the order of most parameters in the parameter list if the number of inputs changes and if the number of outputs change.

The number of outputs rarely changes in a 5.1 or 7.1.2/7.1.4 mix. That's fine if those parameters didn't get put last on the parameter list. Thus any changes in the number of input channels changes the position of anything past the first inputs parameters.

So here's an idea that wastes as few 'parameter slots' as we shall deem useful. Please discuss and post YOUR minimum number of output channels you're likely to use.

Request goal
One mapping in either Reaper(midi/osc) or CSI shall work for the most channels as are most often used. Lets call that X channels.

For my work this is up to 7.1.4, thus X is at least twelve for post production work. Other users may increase that default count.

The parameters for the outputs are placed first in the parameter list. The more flexible number of input channels is placed last. Thus mappings that reference more than one channel would always control the parameters they're meant to control, and not an output channel parameter by mistake.
Anything more than these default number of output channels would be added at the end of the parameter list, so that list is as static as possible for the most amount of users.

Last edited by airon; 09-17-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: edited for errors
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
airon

You might be thinking, how do you use the plugin right now ?

I rename the plugin instances that have only one input channel and have extra FX Zone maps in CSI for my 4x4 knob box and the 16-fader box. The name of that plugin instance is what is matched to the mappings.

I have no idea if Reaper does the same thing with the midi maps. As Reaper has ZERO.ZERO feedback in that area I'm not bothering. OSC is weird and harder to setup so CSI is the natural choice here right now.

ReaEQ has a similar, though smaller problem. The Bypass and Wet parameters are tacked on to the end of the parameter list, which can also change with adding or subtracting bands. It's one of the reasons I use something else as a mixing eq, though ReaEQ is gold for item-eqs for its tiny resource consumption.

I realize it may be too late to make such changes. :\

Last edited by airon; 09-17-2021 at 10:25 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
fotisandstuff

+1!
fotisandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
Puck

+1

Great stuff @airon!

A lot of the cockos plugins suffer the same fate.

Right now I have to load an instance of ReaDelay with a bunch of taps already enabled just so I can make sure I’ll be able to control each of them. Similar to the aforementioned, adding taps causes the parameters to be moved around.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote