Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-28-2023, 04:34 AM   #1
Martijn Deluxe
Human being with feelings

Default occasional lost / stuck notes (play thru) at repeat point

Say i create a loop from bar 1 to bar 2. I create a midi track with a drum loop and a midi track with a bass line... A 3rd that is in record mode with a solo synth that I'm jamming on (but I'm not recording)...

Repeat is on and its playing this loop and I'm playing on my midi keyboard and i notice that ones in a while (could take several minutes) a note is not playing or a note that was playing refuses to stop doing so when i no longer hold down the key...

The interesting thing is that this only happens with note on / note off messages that happen more or less exactly at the loop point (when it wraps from the end to the beginning). Only than!

My conspiracy theory could be that the event happens right before the loop end, gets time stamped to be scheduled for a bit later in time, but just a bit before that the time jumps back by the loop and the event gets lost forever... Just a wicked theory ;-)

I first noticed this on Linux and tried different things: Using jack instead of alsa, different audio midi hardware, different plugins... Than i tried this on Windows... Different computer, different audio midi interface keyboard etc. On all tests i found the same problem: occasional lost / stuck notes...

Apart from that, Reaper runs beautifully lo latency crackle free in all configurations ;-)

Reaper 6.73

-Martijn-
Martijn Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
Martijn Deluxe

Default Steps to reproduce

Ok, after some investigation i found some steps to reproduce this!

It seems the problem occurs when a plugin with latency is inserted...

Start a new Reaper session.

Insert Virtual Instrument on New track and choose ReSynth(cockos)...
Insert Effect on Master and choose ReaLimmit(cockos) this one sets latency compensation

Set the loop points to start 1.1.00 and end 1.3.00

Switch Repeat on Switch Metronome on and hit the play button...

Now repeat playing 2 notes every quarter one quarter long as precise as you can...

Notice how every once in a while a note not plays or hangs...

This issue completely dissapears by removing the ReaLimmit(cockos) or setting its Chain PDC mode to ignore plugin delay...

-Martijn-
Martijn Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:11 AM   #3
maipe

Default Stuck Notes Midi Loop

When looping midi events that have already been recorded, the notes are not synchronous at the beginning, it sounds as if a buffer is not fast enough. The first notes will come later. I've now re-enacted the situation in other DAWS on the same Hardware - it loops perfectly there! I would like to continue working with Reaper - but without looping, jamming is no fun.

I would be very happy about a hint.

EDIT: At the moment I deselect chase midi note-on (right click on repeat button) and it work´s fine till now.

Last edited by maipe; 04-02-2023 at 10:47 AM.
maipe is offline   Reply With Quote