Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
uninc4life2010
Human being with feelings

Default OB-XD causes Reaper to quit unexpectedly on macOS and I'm not sure how to fix it.

When I try to enable the VST plugin in Reaper for OB-XD, it immediately causes Reaper to quit. I've tried to re-install it, I've tried re-scanning all of the plug-ins, but none of that solved this issue. I don't really know what else to do here, and I was wondering if anyone could help.

Here is a brief video I made describing the issue. Thanks in advance for any help. https://youtu.be/KefUA9UPDao

Here are some more specifics:

OB-Xd version 2.1 by discoDSP

macOS Big Sur v 11.0.1
uninc4life2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
b2001

So i had a similar issue with the tforce alpha plus and plus 2 vstis on a windows notebook...

Sorry, i am not going to remember the specifics but will try. I had a reason to need to do a windows restore. I lost some of my vstis in reaper as a result of this. I did reinstalls, rescans, etc.

Didn’t have any issues except when adding plus or plus 2 on a track, reaper crashed every time just like what is happening with you.

I believe i was trying to put them in a different folder as to where i had them before. Resolved that and issue resolved. In my case it’s possible with the multiple reinstalls, rescans that i did, i ended up with tforce in two locations that were referenced in reaper. Deleted one of them and rescanned. Hope this might help...
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
uninc4life2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
So i had a similar issue with the tforce alpha plus and plus 2 vstis on a windows notebook...

Sorry, i am not going to remember the specifics but will try. I had a reason to need to do a windows restore. I lost some of my vstis in reaper as a result of this. I did reinstalls, rescans, etc.

Didn’t have any issues except when adding plus or plus 2 on a track, reaper crashed every time just like what is happening with you.

I believe i was trying to put them in a different folder as to where i had them before. Resolved that and issue resolved. In my case it’s possible with the multiple reinstalls, rescans that i did, i ended up with tforce in two locations that were referenced in reaper. Deleted one of them and rescanned. Hope this might help...
I gave it a shot...no dice. I deleted every instance of OB-xd from my computer, re-installed it, re-scanned all of the plugins, restarted reaper, and as soon as I select it from the "Instruments" menu, it just causes reaper to quit automatically.

The thing is, OB-XD works fine when I open it as an application and play my midi controller through it. I just can't get it to work internally with Reaper.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
b2001

So i have OB-XD and it works fine in reaper. What happens if you try it in another folder?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
uninc4life2010

Quote:
So i have OB-XD and it works fine in reaper. What happens if you try it in another folder?
I'm not sure what you mean by "...if you try it in another folder." This short video shows what happens when I try to enable it in Reaper but also as a standalone application. The synth works fine outside of Reaper, just not when I try to select it from the FX button in a track.

https://youtu.be/Q9bwMSei0c4
Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
b2001

I meant putting the vsti files in another folder but i see the executable puts the files in the default steinberg vst folder...

I noticed i had obxd and not ob-xd so i downloaded ob-xd and installed it -> no issues with reaper crashing.

Not sure i have any other suggestions...

Weirdness can occur with vstis. I have had some not play/make sounds, some play but not record, some play but cause all other vstis to not play anymore until i exited reaper...
Old 11-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
uninc4life2010

Quote:
I meant putting the vsti files in another folder but i see the executable puts the files in the default steinberg vst folder...

I noticed i had obxd and not ob-xd so i downloaded ob-xd and installed it -> no issues with reaper crashing.

Not sure i have any other suggestions...

Weirdness can occur with vstis. I have had some not play/make sounds, some play but not record, some play but cause all other vstis to not play anymore until i exited reaper...
Listen, I appreciate the help. There are plenty of other good synths out there. I don't see the use in trying to spend any more time attempting to solve this ghost of an issue.

https://imgur.com/a/s09Wsfh
Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
uninc4life2010

Default FIXED!

This was the problem! This just fixed the issue!

https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd/issues/34
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
akademie

^^^^^^ Thanks for info, uninc4life2010.
It is good to know and may help also other people, too.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
uninc4life2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
^^^^^^ Thanks for info, uninc4life2010.
It is good to know and may help also other people, too.
Very good info, indeed! I had to contact the developer to find this out. I was about to give up on the OB-Xd plugin before I found the solution.