Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Sicknote
Human being with feelings

Default Midi editing question (making item longer will copy the noten/beats)

Hey,

i have a simple question. Hope you could help me, cause i think im missing something.
If i have a 4 bar midi item, f. e. a beat. If im in editing mode and hover to the and to make the bar to 8 bars, the beat is copied, which i really like. If i want to delete a sample or make a variation it is also changed in the first 4 bars. How could i unlink that? How could i make more bars without copying?

Hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks in advance
Sicknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Sid

In the Track Control Panel, right click on the item and go to "item settings".

If "loop item source" is checked, extending the item will create a loop of the item. Any changes in any loop of the item will make changes to every loop.

If "loop item source" is not checked, extending the item will lengthen the item without looping.

After extending the item with looping, you can glue the item (right click and go to "Glue items") and the item will no longer contain loops and notes will edit separately.

Last edited by Sid; 12-02-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Not_Here

good to know. explained and answered really well. Thank you.
Thanks to OP for a really helpful question.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
Sicknote

Great, thank you. Works really fine. Is it possible that the merker will jump to the end of the last item after pressing ctrl c?
Sicknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Stella645

Editing Behaviour - Move edit cursor when pasting/inserting media?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
nait

I have always suffered through this one without bothering to look for an answer. My personal preference is to always just lengthen the MIDI item without it looping and even without copying notes. First, thanks for asking the question, Sicknote, and second, thanks for the answer, Sid!

After seeing this answer, I had a look in the settings, because I want this to be default behaviour for all MIDI items (rather than doing this for each item individually). It is in "Project->Media Item Defaults". I unchecked Loop source for all the stuff there, but not sure if there's a good reason why I'd want something checked off here. Unfortunately, this will only impact new items though, but good for future projects.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote