Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
JLP
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for advice on custom OSC pattern

Hello there,

I'm recently digging a bit deeper in the OSC capabilities of Reaper. I recently aquired a little X touch one for controling my tracks fader and automation state and it works great. Now, I'd like to use my iPad to control my FX when I need to automate stuff. I'm using Max MSP with Miraweb for testing stuff.

My first idea was to have a little fader on the iPad that would control the last touched fx parameter and also display its name on the tablet. Not very difficult to do.

The second step would have to be able to "lock" the fader to the actual OSC address of the last touched parameter. But here comes the problems.
As far as I understood, Reaper only send /track/@/fx/@/etc... type of message if the track is in the currently selected bank of the device. So if I'm working on an fx on the nineth track and if my device only show 8 track per bank, I will not get the /track/9/etc... message if I'm on bank 1.
So I naively tried to increase this values (DEVICE_TRACK_COUNT DEVICE_FX_COUNT and DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT) but of course, now Reaper takes forever to dump all the osc information on init.

So is there any way to overcome what I've experienced here? Is it possible to prevent Reaper from dumping some OSC data? Is is possible to have "infinte" number of track or fx paramters in one bank? Does anybody tried to have a similar workflow than me? Also, is it possible to get the number of track in a session, or the number of fx on track using OSC commands (a bit like the reascript api)?

Hope some of you guys will have some element of answers

Cheers!
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Geoff Waddington

You could use CSI, it has support for OSC.

We just put out version 1.0, but alas, the docs haven't caught up yet.

Still, if you download the build -- link is in my sig below - there are some examples of how it is used -- check out the OSC surfaces and iPad and iPhone zones.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #3
JLP

Hello Geoff and thanks for your reply!

I just had a quick look at CSI. It seems very powerful but from what I understand I would have to make some "templates" for each plug-ins I'd like to remote control. Am I correct?

In the workflow I imagined it is much less deeply integrated and more ephemeral but also easier to use. I could just map a control on the fly and loose it as soon as I need.

If you have a little bit of time to help me understand CSI better, or maybe help me a bit with what I have in mind I would very much appreciate!

Thanks again and cheers!
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote