Old 10-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #1
adinatha
Human being with feelings

Default XR18 multitrack recording

I managed to connect my XR18 to reaper so i can record 18 channels simultanious.
I needed to select the Asio xr18 driver in Audio/device.
It records well, but i want to play a songtrack and record the other tracks along.
The XR18 is connected with an usb cable and is capable of usb returns, so that my sound is comming out of the xr18.
The XR18 IO setting are correct.

Now my question:
How can i hear the songtrack?
I tried to set the track to record output, selected monitor on, but i can't see and hear anything out of my xr18.
Anyone any idea whats wrong?
adinatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
adinatha

After many youtube movies i have found the solution.
My reaper master track had to be routed to ch 17/18, thats the aux input of the xr18.
Case solved
adinatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:36 AM   #3
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinatha View Post
...<snip>
My reaper master track had to be routed to ch 17/18, thats the aux input of the xr18.
<snip>...
Hi adinatha,
it's good to know.
Thanks for sharing the info.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I ended up doing 3/4 for reaper out, 5/6 for headphone send out and used 1/2 for regular windows out, because the current XR18 drivers only expose one stereo pair for input and output
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I ended up doing 3/4 for reaper out, 5/6 for headphone send out and used 1/2 for regular windows out, because the current XR18 drivers only expose one stereo pair for input and output
Hm, I donīt really get what you mentioned.
I can freely manage every input of my XR18 to get its signal via analog or USB.
Which is handy when combining analog(actual hardware synths) ins with DAW tracks when live performing.

What is the only one stereo pair for input and output.
All channels can be cofigured as stereo pairs and have their faders linked.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

On windows all i/o is only accessible thru asio. Recent driver updates have removed all but 1/2 on WDM or wasapi (though there is a bug which other outputs can sometimes leak thru wasapi)

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 10-29-2020 at 07:16 PM.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
TheWhistler

Quote:
On windows all i/o is only accessible thru asio. Recent driver updates have removed all but 1/2 o nWDM or wasapi (though there is a bug which other outputs can sometimes leak thru wasapi
Ah, ok. I never use anything esle than ASIO so I didnīt even recognize the shortcomings of the new driver.
For Windows I have the audio out of the computer to the 17/18 analog in of the XR18. Needs switching, though.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Tom Williams

Default Which ASIO driver?

Quote:
On Windows all i/o is only accessible thru asio. Recent driver updates have removed all but 1/2 on WDM or wasapi (though there is a bug which other outputs can sometimes leak thru wasapi)
Huh. I'm confused -- are you using the MS or ASIO for All driver instead of the one from Behringer? The XR18 ASIO driver certainly supports 16in / 2 out channels for Reaper (I'm using that right now), and I'll bet a nickel it supports 18 + 18.
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Williams View Post
Huh. I'm confused -- are you using the MS or ASIO for All driver instead of the one from Behringer? The XR18 ASIO driver certainly supports 16in / 2 out channels for Reaper (I'm using that right now), and I'll bet a nickel it supports 18 + 18.
It does. 18 in, 18 out.
You can even route any channel from your DAW back to the XR18 if you want to.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
Osse

How is the soundquality?
Osse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse View Post
How is the soundquality?
Excellent. It is as good as all the other interfaces around in this price range.
Only difference is you get 18 Inputs.
I bought it as mixer for a live band and mixing together the hardware synths in my studio.
But the quality is so decent I couldnīt believe at first.
I record music since the late 80ies and when it comes to discussing the intricacies of the quality of modern recording equipment in the semi-pro-range,
I often wonder what the quality expectations are nowadays.

I mean, there is a difference, of course.
But it fits wonderfully to my mix of equipment and the price range it is in.

The only thing I noticed recently when recording whispers for an electronic music project, was bit of noise floor because I had to pre-amp the mic a bit more than usually.
This made me think of buying an external mic-pre someday.

But this was a special case and on the other hand, the noise was inaudible in the finished recording, though.

It adds the bonus of a fully capable live mixer combined with an x-touch.
I really like the x-touch because it is absolutely capable to manage Reaper and the XR18 at the same time.

So sorry for this long answer but I think quality is always relational to the effort / money you have to spend.
For way under 1000,- this is a no-brainer (even soundquality wise).
Old 11-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #12
Tom Williams

Default USB Channels are multi-tappable

I don't know if "multi-tappable" is a real word, but it should be...

Anyway, I after a couple of feedback incidents at home, I [re]discovered that you can use USB channels as many times as you want on the XR18.

I route USB Returns 17-18 to the Aux input pair for mixing reaper output into the audible house mix. This allows me to select different speaker pairs with Main and Aux outputs. It also meant that I had to turn off the Main speakers at their power switch, so I could monitor reaper in headphones while recording vocals or percussion. I couldn't just mute them or turn them down, because that muted the monitor output as well.

Then I realized that I could simultaneously route channels 17-18 to the monitor headphones. This makes them independent of the house speakers, and gets rid of the feedback problem!

The XR18 and the Behringer ASIO driver give me versatility that is literally an order of magnitude beyond the standard two-channel interfaces, and it's certainly sufficient audio quality for my artistic needs.
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:44 AM   #13
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Williams View Post
The XR18 and the Behringer ASIO driver give me versatility that is literally an order of magnitude beyond the standard two-channel interfaces, and it's certainly sufficient audio quality for my artistic needs.

You mean this, right? Just a small fraction of the unbelievable flexibility of routing.
When I bought the XR18 (you know, old-school hardware guy ) I was into buying an 16 channel analog mixer.
Then I stumbled across the XR18 which a bandmate of mine owes and realized what an improvement this could be for my "studio".
And the XR18 was just about 150,- € more expensive as the small analog mixer I was after.

Some further examples:
I can freely route any channel to my Reaper. No more cable changing, just the click of a button.
It is possible to decide where in the signal chain the usb output is. After the pre, or with mute ore comp, eq you name it.
Wonderful when recording a live band and you want to have the gentle comp of the singer on the recording.
Ah, did not mention yet, every channel has a complete channel strip (pre-gate-eq-comp).