Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default The illusion of simplicity - Example

I was thinking about the difference between what people perceive and the reality behind the process of creating a hit song.

Then, I found this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlSaGcc0QM

The video makes it seem simple; live take. But, if you listen carefully this mix is layer on layer on layer, in a very professional way.

Marketing videos make it look simple, but it FAKE !!!

I know how fake the commercial process was, and is...

We do have great song !!! But, can we be honest about the process?

Peace bro and bras
Old 10-10-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
zeekat
Human being with feelings

It's a music video, tons of them show the band performing to the studio track. It doesn't pretend it's anything else, I can't see "live at xxx" anywhere here.

I you want to get angry about something get angry about typical official "live" release where half of the stuff is studio overdubs . Gabriel's Secret World Live sounds like, and probably is, a studio album.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
... But, if you listen carefully this mix is layer on layer on layer, in a very professional way. Marketing videos make it look simple, but it is FAKE !!!
Hayeah, what is fake and what is true? That is a never ending discussion,
because:

Is it true only if it is live-played without any overdubs and studio help?
Is it true only if it is played without DAW-editing and midi-tools?

The real purists go one step further and claim:

A performance or a song is true only if it is played without any electric
and changing technical apparatus - totally unplugged.

Absolute purists claim another truth:

A performance or a song is really true only if it is not a cover or replay of
something already existing, and only if it is played acustically on
old ancient instruments.

Unadulterated human super purists say:

A really true performance does not need any apparatus or instrument
at all. It is done by the pure human voice!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
Rhonin

Default you forgot melodyne

the human voice + hours of editing
Old 10-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
Philbo King

Total purist:
Elon Musk attaches electrodes to the composers head and generates the final audio mix directly using a supercomputer.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Aeolian

Lol that's a bad example... There are multiple versions of that song, all with different players, different mixdowns etc.

A real eye opener is the clip for "Still of the night"

Recorded with Vandenberg and Sykes
The video actually has Vivian Campbell on lead.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
It's a music video, tons of them show the band performing to the studio track. It doesn't pretend it's anything else, I can't see "live at xxx" anywhere here.
This. One of the most common rock video concepts, a band miming to their song.

What used to annoy the heck out of me were some of the live videos from where I tried to capture some solo parts etc. And the view would go to friggin anything but the person doing the soloing. Even if they would show the actual solo act, it could be a fast string of "artistic" cuts all over the place from other parts or even different songs.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What used to annoy the heck out of me were some of the live videos from where I tried to capture some solo parts etc. And the view would go to friggin anything but the person doing the soloing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOAz4nPNvLI
Old 10-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
BrentP

What really puts my knickers in a twist is where the snare is obviously being played on the BACKBEAT in the audio, but the drumer is hitting it on the DOWNBEAT in the video.

-BrentP-
Old 10-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
maxdembo

Interestingly, I just read an article about Jarvis Cocker's new album, where they got the basics of the songs down, then developed them on tour, recording every gig, then using the best of those takes from each gig, 35 multichannel tracks from each gig.

They took that into the studio and then recorded new parts, overdubs, new takes etc.

Its not being marketed as a live album, its all quite upfront that its a standard album, but thats how its been made.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is a favourite of mine, but as a live album, I would imagine its got more in common with JARV IS new album than it would like to admit
Old 10-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
karbomusic

That whitesnake video is not meant to assume that is the actual recording lol. Maybe in a virtual enjoyment kind of way but not to fool you into thinking its that simple. Its more for fans and the fantasy it portrays.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #12
Rhonin

Default what a brilliant idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Interestingly, I just read an article about Jarvis Cocker's new album, where they got the basics of the songs down, then developed them on tour, recording every gig, then using the best of those takes from each gig, 35 multichannel tracks from each gig.

They took that into the studio and then recorded new parts, overdubs, new takes etc.

Its not being marketed as a live album, its all quite upfront that its a standard album, but thats how its been made.
Id love to release a "live album" recorded like that
fortunately I only need 2 mics
Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin View Post
Id love to release a "live album" recorded like that
fortunately I only need 2 mics
The article about how the album was made is in the most recent issue of Sound On Sound magazine.

Sound On Sound is currently free to read online btw
Old 10-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is a favourite of mine, but as a live album, I would imagine its got more in common with JARV IS new album than it would like to admit
Zappa would do some of this back in the day. He would even take live cuts from DIFFERENT songs and put them on another song in the studio. (and this long before digital) Who cares? as long as is it isn't marketed as something other than what it is.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
serr

Those are my favorite Zappa albums. Take the hot live takes and then orchestrate them in the studio. Joe's Garage was the one with the live solos sync'd up to studio tracks. Solos from completely different pieces put into new compositions. Done with analog tape decks!

I miss Frank. Oh boy would he have some material today!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Lol that's a bad example... There are multiple versions of that song, all with different players, different mixdowns etc.

A real eye opener is the clip for "Still of the night"

Recorded with Vandenberg and Sykes
The video actually has Vivian Campbell on lead.
LOL. I watched the video and was thinking: WOW That is really a 'white' & 'snake' = esoteric eugenic occult pun intended!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #17
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
What really puts my knickers in a twist is where the snare is obviously being played on the BACKBEAT in the audio, but the drumer is hitting it on the DOWNBEAT in the video.

-BrentP-
Nice catch!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Zappa would do some of this back in the day. He would even take live cuts from DIFFERENT songs and put them on another song in the studio. (and this long before digital) Who cares? as long as is it isn't marketed as something other than what it is.
Perhaps I am an anomaly; I think Zappa had talent, but was given a "ticket" by the BIG BOYS, but was backed by session musicians and the Corporate machine(aka Ashkenazi producers at the top of the music pyramid and marketing...). Ohhh dear, last time I spoke truth I was banned for a few weeks. Let's see.

Last edited by RDBOIS; 10-16-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #19
Rhonin

Default epic thread

go to talkbass and find the thread about frank zappas bassist
scott thumes,..

the thing about threads that turn into conversations about zappa
is that they turn into conversations about zappa

like him or not hes a little out there to apply to anything I do
Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #20
serr

There's a reason Zappa alumni are treated like they graduated from the most elite music college on the planet. And even still after he was blacklisted on American radio for writing songs about politicians and naming names.

Can you even imagine the commentary we'd be getting from Frank today?!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:19 AM   #21
Beat Machine

Default mjc2x talks about frank zappas bassist scot thumbes

"
I have had the pleasure of recording Scott T.(Scott Thumes) on several occasions, and I agree.... he is an amazingly fantastic player and a great human. Sessions with him are always fun and working on his tracks are such a joy that I periodically email him just to say "thanks for that tasty lick on that one track" or something lame like that.

Last time I worked with him, we did a marathon session for an album of music set to the poetry of W.B. Yeats (which turned out fantastic). He played upright bass, which I didn't even know was in his repertoire. It wasn't his, it was borrowed. There was a bit of a rattle in the instrument, and after laying on the ground with the bass above his body, shaking crap out through the F-hole, he found a crack in the wood. After some trial and error, we discovered that if he propped his foot up on something and jammed his knee into the back of the bass with a certain amount of pressure, he could minimize the rattling. We proceeded to track the bass parts for the ENTIRE ALBUM that session, and he played in this position the entire time. I think it was 8 hours..... and he was learning the songs as we worked!..."

from 'Arthritic Toms' epic thread
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/int...866617/page-32
Closed Thread