Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
Ambientgtr
Human being with feelings

Default Do AIR Plugins Require ILOK?

Is there a way to use AIR plugin without ILOK? I want Mini Grans I was using in PT for a lot of older sessions. Just don't want to use ILOK Plugins anymore.
Ambientgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Stella645

You need an ilok account and ilok manager installed. But not the dongle.

Current cheapest way to purchase is in a bundle.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ctpage-nosto-1
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Ambientgtr

Thx Stella. Bummer. I’ll just keep using my Mach Five Piano. Maybe Air will change that someday. Baby Grand from Air is nice. Used it on many albums when I was using PT.
Thx again!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
ivansc

I am assuming yo u misunderstood what stella said. He means that you can do the install without using an iLok dongle, just their software security system.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Ambientgtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am assuming yo u misunderstood what stella said. He means that you can do the install without using an iLok dongle, just their software security system.
Ivan
Yes you would be right. So I do not need Ilok in anyway? I want to remove the junk from Ilok...ie PACE Drivers etc.

Considering how much music is downloaded these days and never paid for (mine included) Ilok is a pain and a contradiction to me anyway.

I do completely understand IP protection. I lost thousands of dollars from Napster and the like. You can imagine if the powers that be would have said you have to buy an ilok now to get music. Ironic that the devices we use to make the music that so many don't pay for is so protected.

Thanks for pointing this out too.

I have been jumping around between Logic and Reaper lately. I left PT last year after 20 years.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
nait

I've never had the dongle for it, so not sure how that part works. However, I have AIR plugins and can say that if you don't have that, you for sure need the iLOK (PACE) software. I think ivansc was assuming you just didn't want to use the dongle.

I'm not a fan of having to have extra software running in the background either, but I think it's a fairly lightweight service, at least. An annoyance though, yes.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Ambientgtr

Thx Nait

Now I am confused...more than usual.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambientgtr View Post
Thx Nait

Now I am confused...more than usual.
It's pretty straightforward:

PACE Anti-Piracy Inc. provides license management systems for companies that choose to pay them to "protect" their software. This involves creating a PACE/iLok account and downloading & installing their software, which then runs as a service on your system.

Some of these PACE-protected products require a physical dongle, some do not. Some products use a PACE/iLok cloud-based authorization. There are various scenarios.

Me, I don't believe in intrusive copy protection, so I would never create a PACE/iLok account under any circumstance. Others feel differently, which is most unfortunate because draconian copy protection won't go away unless enough people vote with their wallets to make it go away.

So it's entirely up to you to decide what authorization "protection" rackets you are willing to accept. IMHO: Just say no.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Ambientgtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
It's pretty straightforward:

PACE Anti-Piracy Inc. provides license management systems for companies that choose to pay them to "protect" their software. This involves creating a PACE/iLok account and downloading & installing their software, which then runs as a service on your system.

Some of these PACE-protected products require a physical dongle, some do not. Some products use a PACE/iLok cloud-based authorization. There are various scenarios.

Me, I don't believe in intrusive copy protection, so I would never create a PACE/iLok account under any circumstance. Others feel differently, which is most unfortunate because draconian copy protection won't go away unless enough people vote with their wallets to make it go away.

So it's entirely up to you to decide what authorization "protection" rackets you are willing to accept. IMHO: Just say no.
I’m with you...I’m all for anti piracy but don’t like the issues that have happened for me over 20 years with Ilok.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #10
ivansc

FWIW iLok do seem to have shaped their software up a whole lot better since the Licence Manager software got re-written. I don`t particularly care for dongles or virtual dongles, but it comes down to whether you want to use the protected software badly enough.

I mostly came to iLok after SSL, who I was beta testing for, finally dumped the FAR worse cm stick system & it has been pretty reliable for me, but I take your point on not wanting to get involved unnecessarily after bad experiences in the past.